Cruising from Baltimore

We've never cruised from Baltimore but just booked a short trip to Bermuda in August. I've heard it's very easy to get to the port but have a question on getting from the pier to the airport. Is an 11:30am very doable? I'd hate to sit and wait several hours for the next flight but don't want to cut it too tight.

I haven't had any luck posting on the east coast departures board so I thought I'd check here.

Thanks for your help.

Most people on here are going to advise to fly the day before. Too much can happen flying in the morning of a cruise.

I know for one, I would never fly the day of a cruise.

I'm pretty sure that the OP wants to know about flying HOME.

OP, although I drive, I think that 11:30 is doable.

they are talking about at the END of the cruise.(getting from the pier to the airport)

running into gangways notwithstanding and if you are willing to do self disembark, 1130 is doable. the airport is less than half an hour from the pier.

Yes, I am talking about post cruise. We will not be doing self disembarking. I'm just asking for those with experience at this port. If we get off at 9am, it seems like catching an 11:30 flight makes sense but I want to make sure before booking.

Thanks!

I have not cruised RC from Baltimore but have sailed on the Pride. We docked around 9am on a Sunday but did not leave the ship and return our friends to the airport until around 11am and we were the first group to disembark after the self disembark. The airport is easy enough to get to and fairly close but you just never know what variables there may be.

The port is about a 20 minute drive when not during rush hour. The real challenge is the TSA (what's been in the news lately). Fortunately, the long lines really haven't plagued BWI........yet. You should be good with 11:30 on a normal day, but it'll be tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did this a couple of years ago. Taxis had a set fee 35 U.S.D. at that time and the travel time was 15-20 minutes. If clearing customs goes smoothly and no other problems arise you might be O.K., however, security check in times seem to be going up instead of down. GOOD LUCK

We cruised from Baltimore several years ago and disembarkation was fairly smooth. Of course we had a suite and priority disembarkation. Just as most cruisers would recommend arriving a day early for a cruise, I would probably opt for the later flight to give myself some wiggle room just in case.

We've never cruised from Baltimore but just booked a short trip to Bermuda in August. I've heard it's very easy to get to the port but have a question on getting from the pier to the airport. Is an 11:30am very doable? I'd hate to sit and wait several hours for the next flight but don't want to cut it too tight.

I haven't had any luck posting on the east coast departures board so I thought I'd check here.

Thanks for your help.

A couple of days ago, the Carnival Pride struck the elevated gangway in Baltimore, and the top section collapsed on the pier. Disembarkation took place from the crew entrance on deck 2 (pier level). It will change the process for Grandeur, also. It may not slow things down at all, but it is out there. One update I read stated it could take four months before replacement is complete.

Those who will be disembarking in the near future from Grandeur will know the impact.

We have had many friends make the early flights out of BWI, but reading about TSA backlogs is a new wrinkle. Bummer to be at the airport - and watch your plane leave while you're still standing in the TSA line.

Yes, I am talking about post cruise. We will not be doing self disembarking. I'm just asking for those with experience at this port. If we get off at 9am, it seems like catching an 11:30 flight makes sense but I want to make sure before booking.

Thanks!

waiting until 9 is pushing it since you have to be checked in to the airport at least an hour outand customs at the pier can get backed up. you would need to request an early debarkation number( right after suites)

security at the airport USUALLY goes quickly.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I'm still torn but am leaning toward booking the 11:35am flight. Its $100 cheaper than the next flight which isn't until 3pm. I also use wheelchair access in the airport due to mobility issues I have which means we go to the front of the line at security. Even if we don't get to the airport until 10am, I would think we'd still make the flight.

As a side note, we're in a JS. Does that qualify for early disembarkation?

Edited by sellwingri