Escape Turned - Possible Evac

BirdTravels

There are three basic flight conditions for a helicopter: hover, forward flight and the transition between the two.

Hover

Hovering is the most challenging part of flying a helicopter. This is because a helicopter generates its own gusty air while in a hover, which acts against the fuselage and flight control surfaces. The end result is constant control inputs and corrections by the pilot to keep the helicopter where it is required to be.[68] Despite the complexity of the task, the control inputs in a hover are simple. The cyclic is used to eliminate drift in the horizontal plane, that is to control forward and back, right and left. The collective is used to maintain altitude. The pedals are used to control nose direction or heading. It is the interaction of these controls that makes hovering so difficult, since an adjustment in any one control requires an adjustment of the other two, creating a cycle of constant correction.

Transition from hover to forward flight

As a helicopter moves from hover to forward flight it enters a state called translational lift which provides extra lift without increasing power. This state, most typically, occurs when the airspeed reaches approximately 16–24 knots, and may be necessary for a helicopter to obtain flight.

Forward flight

In forward flight a helicopter's flight controls behave more like those of a fixed-wing aircraft. Displacing the cyclic forward will cause the nose to pitch down, with a resultant increase in airspeed and loss of altitude. Aft cyclic will cause the nose to pitch up, slowing the helicopter and causing it to climb. Increasing collective (power) while maintaining a constant airspeed will induce a climb while decreasing collective will cause a descent. Coordinating these two inputs, down collective plus aft cyclic or up collective plus forward cyclic, will result in airspeed changes while maintaining a constant altitude. The pedals serve the same function in both a helicopter and a fixed-wing aircraft, to maintain balanced flight. This is done by applying a pedal input in whichever direction is necessary to center the ball in the turn and bank indicator.

RESEARCH GOES A LONG WAY....."JUS SAYIN"

The helicopter appears to be hovering over the deck

The deck is moving at 19 knots

The deck is moving vertically in 8' seas

The ship is sailing in gale force, gusty winds

The helicopter physically is perpendicular to the direction of the deck travel

So,,,, it is not hovering. It is not forward flight. It is highly precise sideways flight in gale force winds over a moving ship. Where is my cyclics?

Edited by BirdTravels

Nice picture of helicopter BUT on one of my cruises on the Epic there was a night time evacuation and the next morning the Captain gave a 10 min lecture on the dangers of pictures being taken as camera flash could affect pilot & those doing evacuation.

Nice picture of helicopter BUT on one of my cruises on the Epic there was a night time evacuation and the next morning the Captain gave a 10 min lecture on the dangers of pictures being taken as camera flash could affect pilot & those doing evacuation.

Not sure what the big "BUT" is all about.

Obviously no flashes were used. That would be reckless.

I presume you actually meant:- "OH no, thanks for keeping us posted". The position of the comma changes your comment totally.

Mike

How comma there are so many grammar police here? I have no comma-ment! I comma and go in peace. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure what the big "BUT" is all about. Obviously no flashes were used. That would be reckless.

But ... But, it's obvious that was a difficult nighttime photo taken, most likely with a smartphone but could've come from a digital camera, zoomed in where it's "easier" for longer exposure to capture the image, as the objects (ship & helo) are moving.

Some of our best vacation & cruise photos are taken indoors and in the dark, with the flash turned off to minimize red eyes, not to mention that flash are effective out to maybe 15' to 20' - 25' to 40' at best with high ISO setting (if adjustable) Pro equipment used by news photographers with hi-power flashes & long-range telephoto lens taken would obviously yield better pictures. But, I am doubtful & almost 98% certain, this wasn't the case and posed no danger or safety risks to the first responders on scene - minimal on indirect distractions, if any at all.

From time-to-time, USCG station (in case, San Juan) would release public info about their rescue efforts - on a monthly basis, I believe - so we might learn about the successful outcome & patient recovery, etc. But, not always and I don't think the cruiseline will do anything in respecting patient privacy. On rare occassion, we might get an update directly or indirectly from those rescued & taken off the ship by sharing a post here on CC. Just, let it be.

Escape still isn't docked at Nassau this morning or within range on latest AIS feed that I'm looking at, hoping that folks on the ship are still going to have some time on land ? and not another day at sea. Ship's webcam linked are showing the Getaway instead, LOL.

Meanwhile, OT but along the line of SAR, in other world news still unfolding this morning abroad as we learned a little more ... a moment of silence & some quiet thoughts, prayers if you would, for all those lives lost.

But, regardless, wish all those on the Escape a great day - wherever your ship is at. :)

There are any number of reasons that a person needs an immediate evacuation. Obviously heart attack, stroke, and embolism. But femur break, head trauma, appendicitis, pregnancy issues, and any number of other issues would also warrant advanced life support measures.

Not sure what the big "BUT" is all about.

Obviously no flashes were used. That would be reckless.

I'm very happy you had the intelligence not to use a flash as the 1000 plus passengers on the Epic didn't. I myself if it had not been learning about this on TV would have probably taken a picture with flash on.

Maybe it's something that should be mentioned in the drill.

Edited by dlynn0366

I was also on this cruise and had wondered what happened in the middle of the night. As we were disembarking on Saturday, a boy was also taken away on a stretcher from Deck 13 by the Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue. Prayers for both passengers.

2:15 helicopter Evac of a sick passenger and their loved one complete. Took about 45 minutes. Lowered USCG crew member to deck. Family member went up in a basket. Sick passenger in a litter. And finally the USCG crew member on a line.

Ship maintained 19 knots during the Evac. Really skillful flying by the helo crew (sideways, maintaining a low hover over the deck).

a2d956e63d36e32713aeb6051d67c7b1.jpg

I was on the Epic when a similar night time Heli - EVAC was needed, and passengers crowded round the area trying to get photos of the helicoptor landing.

The next day, the Captain made 2 irate announcements about the dangers that flash photos make to the heli -crew and pilots.He compared the flashes to lasers that can temporarily blind the pilot and said it was only the professionalism of the crew that averted a passenger induced calamity.

Well all in all on this thread. Let's let's thank the crew and thank everyone that helped with this rescue. And poking fun at people about doing research and using commas. Let's leave that for another day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app