Flash Sale on Alaska Cruises

yerdua

If anyone is interested in Alaska, HAL has a flash sale going on several Alaska sailings (I've only checked the Westerdam, which we are sailing July 30) in several cabin categories (but not all). I was able to move DH and I from VE to VB aft at no additional cost. I was hoping for some OBC, but that was a no-go. Their first offer was a SY for an additional 350pp, then FCC, and finally the aft cabin. This happened a couple days after final payment, and after I had already had our trip re-fared once before final payment. There are alot of unsold cabins on our sailing, so who knows what will happen. We did have to give up the Anniversary Sale. Not a big deal on a 7 day cruise.

If anyone is interested in Alaska, HAL has a flash sale going on several Alaska sailings (I've only checked the Westerdam, which we are sailing July 30) in several cabin categories (but not all). I was able to move DH and I from VE to VB aft at no additional cost. I was hoping for some OBC, but that was a no-go. Their first offer was a SY for an additional 350pp, then FCC, and finally the aft cabin. This happened a couple days after final payment, and after I had already had our trip re-fared once before final payment. There are alot of unsold cabins on our sailing, so who knows what will happen. We did have to give up the Anniversary Sale. Not a big deal on a 7 day cruise.

Where and how did you see this on line ?

Not surprised. Alaska cruises, similar to last year, are being blown out. Overcapacity again this year. Noordam ocean views at the end of May are going for $499. June ocean views from Seattle on Amsterdam for $549.

Other lines have similar offers.

Not surprised. Alaska cruises, similar to last year, are being blown out. Overcapacity again this year. Noordam ocean views at the end of May are going for $499. June ocean views from Seattle on Amsterdam for $549.

Other lines have similar offers.

Yes, plus taxes.

2015 Alaska had the high last minute prices as compared with several years previous. This year doesn't look any better, yet.

I did notice something you don't see too often, but wish you did:

May 28 VH (in CND) 649 + taxes, as compared to an IN for 779 + and an OUT for 844 +

That is an excellent price for a VH. It should get snapped up ASAP. Not certain why the cruise lines have not reduced the number of ships. Last summer people were boarding for inside and outside cabins @ $299 and $399 respectively. The trick was to pick up both a northbound and southbound...and it was possible to do so but not necessarily on the same ship or cruise line.

We had thought about a 10 day Norway cruise but in light of all of the craziness on that side of the world opted instead for yet another to Alaska. Doing Glacier Bay this time. Can't wait. Booked a VC.

Actually I noticed HAL offering annual sales to clear excess capacity every late Spring to early Summer.

Here's your chance for Alaskan veterans to make repeat visits to make up for short port times.

Edited by xlxo

Definitely not so lucky for me. I'm on NADM, Aug 27th and in SY7080. All the Signature suites are sold out and I don't see prices going down as a result. Oh well, I don't want to lose Explore 4 anyways.

Definitely not so lucky for me. I'm on NADM, Aug 27th and in SY7080. All the Signature suites are sold out and I don't see prices going down as a result. Oh well, I don't want to lose Explore 4 anyways.

Are you before final payment?

After final there may be cancellations and/or the pricing may decrease. You could possibly get some OBC, if so.

Yes, plus taxes.

2015 Alaska had the high last minute prices as compared with several years previous. This year doesn't look any better, yet.

I did notice something you don't see too often, but wish you did:

May 28 VH (in CND) 649 + taxes, as compared to an IN for 779 + and an OUT for 844 +

I saw that also. Makes the $2469 that is currently advertised for August 2017 a little bitter.

Our TA just got us a price drop of $1,000 on a 14-day Alaskan cruise! Woo hoo! Maasdam

Sounds great! Just got an email for the Maasdam for next month; $699 for inside, 14 day, plus fees!

Sounds great! Just got an email for the Maasdam for next month; $699 for inside, 14 day, plus fees!

So, about 1100 USD pp? That would really good. Bet that could be worked up to a higher category, too.

For those interested HAL is selling in CND for 1039 + 556 taxes=1595 pp.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I saw that also. Makes the $2469 that is currently advertised for August 2017 a little bitter.

The cruise I quoted is a week before sail date. I can see what you mean, though. Be assured that the price I quoted is really very unusual!

It is like buying your summer wear today as opposed to in September: sales and discounts on the leftovers that the store/cruise line wants to move.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Are you before final payment?

After final there may be cancellations and/or the pricing may decrease. You could possibly get some OBC, if so.

Made my final payment the other day, and the cut-off is June 13th. I'll keep an eye on it, but I've already got $300 OBC for being in an SY category room.

The cruise I quoted is a week before sail date. I can see what you mean, though. Be assured that the price I quoted is really very unusual!

It is like buying your summer wear today as opposed to in September: sales and discounts on the leftovers that the store/cruise line wants to move.

I am keeping my eye out this year to try and gain some indication for next year. I realize that one year is not necessarily any indication of the next. Challenge is though that 2 years ago we sailed in a Vista Suite on the Volendam for little over a $1000 pp, we see sailings for the NA for next week for $649 for a VH and yet, the price for a VH for next August on the NA is $2469 pp.

I am keeping my eye out this year to try and gain some indication for next year. I realize that one year is not necessarily any indication of the next. Challenge is though that 2 years ago we sailed in a Vista Suite on the Volendam for little over a $1000 pp, we see sailings for the NA for next week for $649 for a VH and yet, the price for a VH for next August on the NA is $2469 pp.

Yes, that's how it works.

Day to day, ship to ship: how is it selling?

Example: 2 years ago we did 2 upsells from an inside to a VB for a total price after taxes and the upsells for 7 days for just under 700 pp. Obviously that particular ship for that particular date was relatively empty in the V category, hence the deals.

The N. Amsterdam 649 + taxes demonstrates that sometimes HAL is willing to bottom out the pricing to get some warm bodies into those cabins.

A year out: really, HAL has oodles and oodles of time to sell at the price they want. Why should they lower the price now? They will start first with promos (Signature Bev pkg, OBC, etc) to get the price they want and to sell cabins.