Best inside cabin on Maasdam

i need help please! I haven't sailed on HAL for ages so I am unfamiliar with which cabins are best. We are looking at booking an inside cabin on the Maasdam for a 28 day R/T San Diego to SA. We normally sail on RC or Celebrity but their itineraries are getting very old and tiring, so we thought we would try HAL again. I know there is a lot more vibration and movement on HAL ships because they are so much smaller. I have looked at the insides on lower prom aft but still don't know if there would be movement or noise from MDR above.

Thanks

Linda S.

Please consider room K500 is located all the way forward port side on the Main Deck. This room is larger than a normal inside room. The room is also odd shaped the closets open into the cabin and not into the hallway Look at the room on deck plans. The bad news The room is as far from the dining room as you can get and there is anchor noise when they lower or raise the anchor also some thruster noise when docking. The good news close to show room and lido deck and the Crows Nest. We stayed in similar room on Statendam on our 30 day Pacific Cruise. Noise from Showroom not a problem, we never heard noise coming from the Showroom.

Please consider room K500 is located all the way forward port side on the Main Deck. This room is larger than a normal inside room. The room is also odd shaped the closets open into the cabin and not into the hallway Look at the room on deck plans. The bad news The room is as far from the dining room as you can get and there is anchor noise when they lower or raise the anchor also some thruster noise when docking. The good news close to show room and lido deck and the Crows Nest. We stayed in similar room on Statendam on our 30 day Pacific Cruise. Noise from Showroom not a problem, we never heard noise coming from the Showroom.

Thanks, I saw that cabin was available, but I know there is a lot of movement in the bow of the ship and I dismissed it. I do get seasick so I always think about lots of movement. I'll take another look.

Linda

Yes, Main Deck is number 5 on that ship.

I always book inside cabins, and have been in one on every ship (Koningsdam coming up), including the Maasdam and all her sisters. My favorite location has always been on Lower Promenade, between the forward elevators and the mid-ship exit to the outdoors. It's handy-dandy to the great outdoors, easy enough to get to the forward elevators for evening activities, and not a bad hike to the aft for food.

It should also be quiet under the dining room, but I would not take a cabin between the mid-ship doors and the aft elevators on Lower Promenade Deck as the galley is above. That would not be quiet.

Two cabins on Main Deck are also especially attractive; those are 548 and 549. Those are termed "sideways" cabins, and have a lot more room than the other insides. They are configured differently.

They have some disadvantages over the other insides, but may be worth looking in to. I have stayed in these cabins on two different ships, including the Maasdam.

I always book inside cabins, and have been in one on every ship (Koningsdam coming up), including the Maasdam and all her sisters. My favorite location has always been on Lower Promenade, between the forward elevators and the mid-ship exit to the outdoors. It's handy-dandy to the great outdoors, easy enough to get to the forward elevators for evening activities, and not a bad hike to the aft for food.

It should also be quiet under the dining room, but I would not take a cabin between the mid-ship doors and the aft elevators on Lower Promenade Deck as the galley is above. That would not be quiet.

Two cabins on Main Deck are also especially attractive; those are 548 and 549. Those are termed "sideways" cabins, and have a lot more room than the other insides. They are configured differently.

They have some disadvantages over the other insides, but may be worth looking in to. I have stayed in these cabins on two different ships, including the Maasdam.

Thanks Ruth for all the great info. I think I wouldn't feel like I was in an inside cabin so much if I was on the Lower Promenade deck.

Linda

RuthC (for Chocolate!:)), would that be the same for the Zaandam? We're thinking of an ocean view on the starboard side aft on the LP deck, and above it there is just a maze of black lines - are they all the galley, do you know? Thanks for some advice.

Haha! I just read your advice to Popcan on his thread, and you answered all my questions there!

Edited by Vict0riann

I thought deck 4 was main on the Maasdam

RuthC (for Chocolate!:)), would that be the same for the Zaandam? We're thinking of an ocean view on the starboard side aft on the LP deck, and above it there is just a maze of black lines - are they all the galley, do you know? Thanks for some advice.

Haha! I just read your advice to Popcan on his thread, and you answered all my questions there!

With the exception of the "sideways" cabins, everything else is pretty much the same on the Zaandam (all the S- & R-class ships) as on the Maasdam.

The Zaandam, along with all the R-class ships, has the mid-ship elevators which the S-class ships lack.

The galley will be on Promenade Deck, between the mid-ship and aft elevator banks. Aft is the lower level of the dining room. So, aft on Lower Promenade is a quiet area.

We have 549 booked next year on the Veendam, we saw it on a cabin crawl a few weeks ago and were amazed at the size. What are the disadvantages over other insides? This will be our first inside cabin.

We have 549 booked next year on the Veendam, we saw it on a cabin crawl a few weeks ago and were amazed at the size. What are the disadvantages over other insides? This will be our first inside cabin.

There are two major disadvantages in these cabins if you are sharing with another. Both can be overcome with a little thinking.

First, since the bathroom opens directly into the cabin, if someone is going in during the night, and turns the light on, it will shine out into the room. A light sleeper can be disturbed. I bring a flashlight, and that problem is solved. Easier on me, too, as I don't wake up as much as full lighting would cause.

The other problem is that there is no curtain between the cabin and the cabin door. If someone is coming/going, while another is inside dressing, :eek:.

Be sure to check with the other person before opening the door to go out, or knock before coming back in. See? Just a little thinking. ;)

There are two major disadvantages in these cabins if you are sharing with another. Both can be overcome with a little thinking.

First, since the bathroom opens directly into the cabin, if someone is going in during the night, and turns the light on, it will shine out into the room. A light sleeper can be disturbed. I bring a flashlight, and that problem is solved. Easier on me, too, as I don't wake up as much as full lighting would cause.

The other problem is that there is no curtain between the cabin and the cabin door. If someone is coming/going, while another is inside dressing, :eek:.

Be sure to check with the other person before opening the door to go out, or knock before coming back in. See? Just a little thinking. ;)

Thank you, very helpful. It sounds like it won't be too difficult to manage, especially with the forewarning :).

Ahoy!

So, looking through the Maasdam deck plans what might prevent an 'insider' from reserving 773 or 769 on A deck? Obsessive engine / crew quarters / kitchen noise?

It's certainly not quite as convenient as the Lower Prom (which we like) but it appears a stairway is nearby.

Likewise, the Dolphin deck on the Amsterdam has similar cabins (1841, 1854, 1905 for example) which we reserved one but had to cancel for the 2017 WC. Similar problems?

Our daughter had a similar cabin on the Oosterdam two years ago and it did make me somewhat 'envious' regarding the layout & space available (we we're in a OV at the time across the aisle).

Inquiring minds would like to know from experienced 'insiders' (a critique of sorts) for the deck plan blank spaces that might cause excessive noise (an objective observation perhaps) near the lower deck vertically-oriented inside cabins.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

A note about Cabin 548 on the Maasdam. My brother had this cabin on the Ryndam (a sister ship) and he said there is an interesting quirk to it.

Whenever the dome cover on Lido Deck was opened or closed, he could hear the alarm loudly and clearly in his cabin. I was in there once and heard the alarm so I know you can hear it.

I don't know if the same quirk of ship planning means you can hear the alarm on the Maasdam, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can.

Other than that quirk, it was a great cabin and my brother would absolutely book it again. It was big enough for our whole family of 6 to hang out comfortably so it was our gathering place during the cruise.

While I haven't been on the Maasdam, my husband and I had K548 on the Veendam and we absolutely LOVED that stateroom...best inside we've ever had. We could not believe how much space we had.

Everything Ruth said about the 'drawbacks' is true but honestly, they are minor. The layout allows for so much open space that feels usable, and no 'tunnel' where the closet is since it opens up into the larger area of the room.

We have 548 booked for our upcoming cruise on the Maasdam in Aug.

We booked it upon Ruth's suggestion. We plan on taking pictures and posting to Halfacts. Can't believe that someone hasn't posted pictures of 548 and 549 yet.