Eggs

hansi

On our recent cruise, all the egg trays at the omelette station contained only white eggs.

I assumed it was an American thing, I have only seen white eggs in their stores, so assumed Americans prefer the breed of chickens that lay white eggs.

In all the 50 odd Princess cruies I have been on, I have never seen a brown egg( hard boiled).

I have at the omelette station, but that was in Australia.

But maybe they just use the white ones for hard boiled so they look the same and the brown for other trypes.

Most of the US prefers white shelled eggs. In New England, the Rhode Island Red chicken lays brown eggs, and most people feel that local brown eggs are fresher than white eggs from producers outside the area. We really only see white eggs at Easter, for coloring. I'm not aware of any other region of the US that prefers brown eggs.

I usually eat my eggs fried so I don't really care what colour the shell was.

But ... I did have a boiled egg or two in the Horizon Court on Golden recently and I think they had brown shells. That may be because most eggs in Australia seem to be brown these days and the cruise originated in Australia.

Most Americans prefer white eggs and if the cruise starts in an American port you will see white eggs.

On the flip side most organic eggs in the U.S. are brown because the customers who buy organic prefer brown eggs for some reason since white eggs can be organic.

Suppliers have and will continue to make available what consumers prefer to buy. If Americans would suddenly prefer brown eggs for some reason then more brown eggs would be produced.

Take care,

Vinnie

Can someone tell me what is the difference between a brown egg and a white egg other than color? Does it really matter or do they taste different?

No difference other than the breed of chicken that laid them. Some people claim brown eggs are healthier or taste better but to my knowledge it has never been proven.

Take care,

Vinnie

No difference other than the breed of chicken that laid them. Some people claim brown eggs are healthier or taste better but to my knowledge it has never been proven.

Take care,

Vinnie

Negligible differences in benefits or nutrients between the two. There may be a difference in taste because the red feathered chickens that lay brown eggs tend to be fed more corn than the white feathered chickens that lay white eggs. Brown eggs tend to cost more due to the fact that the chickens are larger and eat more to produce the eggs.

Can someone tell me what is the difference between a brown egg and a white egg other than color? Does it really matter or do they taste different?

The only significant difference is the cost. That is why you see the cheaper white eggs onboard.

Most of the US prefers white shelled eggs. In New England, the Rhode Island Red chicken lays brown eggs, and most people feel that local brown eggs are fresher than white eggs from producers outside the area. We really only see white eggs at Easter, for coloring. I'm not aware of any other region of the US that prefers brown eggs.

It is interesting: I grew up and lived the first half of m life on the US West Coast (and a bit in the mid-west), then have spent the second half of my life in New England. I have found chengkp75's statement accurate.

In fact, when I moved to Boston, I was quickly taught a well-known local advertising jingle: "Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh!" :D

And don't even get me started between Wednesdays being Prince Spaghetti Day. ;)

It is interesting: I grew up and lived the first half of m life on the US West Coast (and a bit in the mid-west), then have spent the second half of my life in New England. I have found chengkp75's statement accurate.

In fact, when I moved to Boston, I was quickly taught a well-known local advertising jingle: "Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh!" :D

And don't even get me started between Wednesdays being Prince Spaghetti Day. ;)

I know that jingle, and grew up in the Chicago area, so brown eggs were a new thing when we moved to Maine.

How about "Anthony! Anthony!"

When I was a child , all our eggs were white. It was a very rare thing to get a brown one. Here in the uk, all our eggs are now brown and I think it's to do with the pellets they feed them. If the hens did not get fed pellets but left to fend for themselves with no extra feeding, I'm pretty sure the eggs it would produce would be white.

I confess I have never looked very closely at the eggs on ships preferring to have my eggs scrambled. But at home either here in Canada or in the US, we try to purchase free range brown eggs that have beautiful golden yolks and are more flavourful then white shelled eggs. However, white shelled eggs are considerably less expensive and certainly so at the volume Princess would buy them at.

When I was a child , all our eggs were white. It was a very rare thing to get a brown one. Here in the uk, all our eggs are now brown and I think it's to do with the pellets they feed them. If the hens did not get fed pellets but left to fend for themselves with no extra feeding, I'm pretty sure the eggs it would produce would be white.

Nope. It's the breed. We used to keep hens and had three breeds. One gave white, one gave brown and the other gave an egg that was a beautiful light green! All of them got the same feed.

My only princess cruise was from Fort Lauderdale but our Royal Caribbean one went from Southampton and the eggs were white. You would have to search high and low here to find white ones. All our laying hens are brown in mass production units. So I don't know where they got them from.

As I understand it, most of the food supplies are procured and shipped to the cruise locations from a central source, and not procured locally. Much easier to maintain consistency in both quality and cost and make sure that supplies are available, compared to trying to do local procurement in each embarkation port location.

A central source certainly ... but seems there would be a central source out of the UK or Europe since many Princess ships are in that area for six months at the time. :confused:

Edited by OCruisers

Are we going on the same route as the 'butter' thread? ;)

Now you mention it, on Emerald 3 weeks ago we had both prepacked and the traditional 'flower' in the dining room, and prepacked in the buffet. :p