Bringing Nursery Water

gfountain1

Hello everyone, we will be sailing on the Magic July 30th with our 8 month old son. Is there anything special that need to be done to get a gallon or two of nursery onboard in our carry on luggage?

Thanks

You can order distilled water from Special Needs. They have it onboard for people with CPAP machines. It's basically the same thing except without the fluoride which isn't exactly without it's risks and side effects.

My first thought was distilled water, but hope not. That's not an advisable drink long term due to no minerals in it.

My first thought was distilled water, but hope not. That's not an advisable drink long term due to no minerals in it.

Yeah well Nursery water is distilled water with added fluoride. I admit I bought into the hype with my first one for a little bit. It's like that diaper commercial. Everything has to be just right and by the second one just about anything goes [emoji4]. Why they market water with fluoride in it to infants that don't even have teeth is a whole other ball of wax.

It could be necessary in areas where the water supply isn't treated with fluoride. I remember when my kids were babies there were still areas in the US where it wasn't, but fluoride drops were recommended. Not nursery water. But that was 18 years ago. Even then, a week without it won't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by E&B

You are allowed to carry on nursery water. Per the FAQs on carnival. You may want to contact special needs, just in case, but I doubt you even need to do that. You need to do for your baby what you feel is right. If you and/or the baby's Doctor want to use nursery water, then by all means, bring it.

As much as I value your professional medical opinions, Im trying to find out if I can bring the water with me in my carry on. Thanks Kcruiser, much appreciated.

Edited by gfountain1

Many 8 month olds do indeed have teeth and they have them in their gums developing ready to break through if nothing else. Although my children grew up on well water with no fluoride in it and no drops and never got a single cavity in their lives. We didn't get rural water until recently. They got plenty of fluoride from their toothpastes apparently. They are all teens and up and still not a single cavity. I also grew up on well water and as a adult have never had a cavity. Maybe we just have good teeth who knows.

Anyways you do not need special permission to bring on nursery water but if you want to be extra careful you can always double check with your PVP to make sure nothing has changed. You'll need to carry it on though.

For the record the least I would do is purchase bottled water for the baby, no way would I trust the ships water for an infant. I don't care how clean they swear it is, sometimes it nasty looking. There is no way I would put that in my babies bottle. I would do the same as you and bring my babies water on with me.

Edited by poobears

Of course I would follow a pediatrician's advice in this matter. That's why I asked if it was suggested by a doc.

I am talking from the point of view of an experienced mother so was just curious about this as I have never heard of such things.

There are always fads about stuff like this and I wondered where the idea came from. I didn't know if it was like coconut water being the magic elixir these days.

Of course I would follow a pediatrician's advice in this matter. That's why I asked if it was suggested by a doc.

I am talking from the point of view of an experienced mother so was just curious about this as I have never heard of such things.

There are always fads about stuff like this and I wondered where the idea came from. I didn't know if it was like coconut water being the magic elixir these days.

It's been around for a long time. My cousin started using it and her oldest is in his mid 20s. It's not a prescription and is located usually down the baby aisle or by the bottled water. The one with the pink label is distilled, fluorinated water and is gallon sized. Back in the day when I bought it it was about 50% more than a regular gallon of distilled/spring water.

Luckily neither one of my kids had any health problems that warranted bottled water, so after I outgrew that phase, it was straight from the tap to make their bottles. Of course, everyone has their reasons for using/not using certain things and it's up to them.

If I were taking a baby on a cruise, with all the other stuff they need, I would just order a couple gallons of distilled water from special needs or a couple cases of water for $3.99 and have it delivered to my room so I didn't have to be bothered with lugging gallons of water as well. But to each their own.

Yeah well Nursery water is distilled water with added fluoride. I admit I bought into the hype with my first one for a little bit. It's like that diaper commercial. Everything has to be just right and by the second one just about anything goes [emoji4]. Why they market water with fluoride in it to infants that don't even have teeth is a whole other ball of wax.

I laughed at anything goes for the 2nd one and things were just perfect for the first.

My son and daughter were 7 minutes apart, it was just survival mode for the 1st couple of years.

They're turning 41 next month, so I guess it all works out.

I laughed at anything goes for the 2nd one and things were just perfect for the first.

My son and daughter were 7 minutes apart, it was just survival mode for the 1st couple of years.

They're turning 41 next month, so I guess it all works out.

Twins?! Oh, heck no. My younger brother and sister are twins. I remember when they started walking. One went one way and the other the other. It was constant chaos! I have a newfound respect for you.

Nursery water is definitely not a new thing, it's been around at least 50 years, probably longer than that. You can get it with or without fluoride added.

If you don't want to lug on water you can always just get the drops from your Ped. and ask him how many to add to a gallon. Then call and have a gallon of distilled waiting for you on board from special services. They will make sure it's there when you arrive on the ship. Will save you having to carry a jug of heavy water on board and carrying it around until your room is ready.

As much as I value your professional medical opinions, Im trying to find out if I can bring the water with me in my carry on. Thanks Kcruiser, much appreciated.

yes you can

Distilled Water

Guests may bring on board distilled water for use with a CPAP machine or nursery water for families with babies and packed in carry-on luggage.Distilled water may also be purchased onboard at $3.00 USD per gallon by contacting Room Service. The CPAP machine must be packed in carry-on luggage.