Zuiderdam August 21, questions from a newbie

spinnaker2

Looking for some information on the upper priced tier suites on Zuiderdam.

I have read many of the reviews so I have a sense of positive and negatives about the vessel itself.

I haven't sailed on any Holland America ships.

DH is very tall and smaller suites make him claustrophobic. Since the itinerary is 17 days, a smaller suite would have him climbing the walls for sure.

I know nothing about the drink packages either.

Any and all info is welcomed, thanks much in advance!

I have sailed on the Zuiderdam and sister ships in the Neptune suites and Pinnacle Suite so I may be able to help. The Zuiderdam has not had the suite upgrade and you will find many picks online. The cabins are very open and spacious in my opinion and they have a wonderful veranda. There is a nice dressing area, wonderful bathroom and plenty of closets. For two it is plenty of space.

You also have the Neptune lounge to relax in during the day and the fabulous perk of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

I love spending time in the cabin in the mornings and early evening just watching as we approach and depart the different ports.

The crew of the Zuiderdam were attentive, warm, happy group. I enjoyed the cruise immensely.

I do not know about the drink packages--sorry.

Hope this helps. search google images and you tube for pictures, etc.

We have sailed on the Zuiderdam several times. Both in the Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle Suites.

The Neptune Suites are lovely and spacious. Your husband would love it.

BUT -- if you have the cash -- the Pinnacle Suite is wonderful!! Love them!!

On this ship there is only 1 Beverage Package. It costs about $55 per day person which includes the gratuity. All passengers staying in the same cabin and over 21 must buy the package -- no sharing. It covers drinks up to a cost of $8. It mainly covers the specialty drinks, drinks of the day and house wines. You need to sit down and figure out if you both would drink enough each day to warrant buying the packages. You can use the package in the Explorations Café to buy coffees, teas and waters anywhere on the ship as well as sodas, etc. You can use the package in the all the lounges as well as in the main dining room.

We don't buy the beverage package as we do not drink that much and not worth the price to us.

I have read many of the reviews so I have a sense of positive and negatives about the vessel itself.

DH is very tall and smaller suites make him claustrophobic. Since the itinerary is 17 days, a smaller suite would have him climbing the walls for sure.

Ex-boss and her 6'5" husband have sailed several times on HAL, always in Neptune suites. They picked the Neptune suite because he was concerned since he's a big guy, tall with broad shoulders, and it's very comfortable for both of them.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

You might also look at the Signature Suites. They are a bit smaller than the Neptunes, but still alot bigger than the standard cabins. Price is considerably less than a Neptune, but you do not get the Neptune suite "perks".

Also, on this size ship very often Signature Suite guests are offered "upsells" to a Neptune at about 2-4 weeks from sailing (obviously this offer depends on how popular your sailing is). These upsells are for a greatly reduced price vs. the normal Neptune price, so they can go very quickly. I would research this board (using the search feature) for "upsells" and you will get a ton of information on how this works.

As to drink packages, you need to advise us on which ones you are looking at. HAL occasionally runs promotions that include a free drink package, which is up to 15 drinks per day per person.

Edited by DaveOKC

The Neptune and Pinnacle Suites have king beds. The aft SB Neptunes are slightly smaller inside, but have wrap-around verandas (hence the term aft-wrap suite) that are monstrous and afford views in 3 directions. These are our favorites. The mid-ship Neptune suites are very comfortable, and the Pinnacle suite offers tons of room and a hot-tub equipped veranda. The Z'dam is a great ship. As mentioned, it has not had the full-Monty suite refurb yet, but was in for a major freshening up 2 years ago.

Edited by blizzardboy

Cruised the med for 24 days last year on board Zuiderdam in a Signature Suite. We chose the Signature Suite over the Neptune due to budget!. We found the extra space over a Verandah suite perfect. Had friends in a Neptune Suite that also loved theirs. There is a lot more room between the end of the bed and the lounge in the Neptune. There is also a small "powder/dressing" room before you enter the bathroom. The bed is king size rather than queen, which may be a consideration for you. The balcony is bigger in the Neptune Suite. We found the balcony on the SS to be big enough for us with a table and chairs perfect for room service dinner, plus two extra outdoor comfy chairs and foot stools. (Check out Halfacts.com for pictures of both). We didn't have a beverage package. We looked at all the threads regarding them and decided we wouldn't drink enough to make it worthwhile. Instead we bought beverage cards. Didn't save us any money but it was easier to track our spending on our ship account.

We loved the Zuirderdam and will sail on her again. Hope this helps.