Fried phones - A word of warning

taffy12

All the generators are paralleled onto one bus. As I said, the speed of the generator affects the frequency, not the voltage. In fact, when a generator starts, it will come to full voltage before the engine has reached 50% of rated speed, so voltage is not affected by speed in the slightest. On a 10kv switchboard, if you see a voltage oscillation of 100-200v, that would be unusual, and transformed down to 120v, that would represent a voltage ripple of 1-3 volts.

Failure of the USB port is possible, just like failure of any charger wall wart. But in the case of the OP, one phone was in the ship's USB, and one was using a charger. Vibration should not be a problem for a solid state circuit. For an ac to dc converter like a USB power supply, frequency doesn't really have any effect. My understanding of the over-voltage system in a USB power supply is that there is a semi-conductor on the secondary (5 volt) side that when the voltage gets above a certain point, stops current flowing to the device being charged and shunts it back to the transformer circuit. Any component can fail, but these seem to be fairly robust. Actually a wall plate USB charger probably would have less likelihood of failing because the components are not squeezed into a small case, but have room to cool off, and heat is the worst enemy of semi-conductors.

You saying they are all tied into one single bus answered by question.

I am not familiar with genset arrangements on the scale of suppling MW power, but on 80-200-400 KVA for temporary site power, and they can have voltage fluctuation when a large demand is passed on to them, or they develop a fault if not sync'd.

Hence my question.

Your knowledge and advice is invaluable as always, but would you have any thoughts as to how both phones were damage due to charging on a ship electrical system using non approved third party cables?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

You saying they are all tied into one single bus answered by question.

I am not familiar with genset arrangements on the scale of suppling MW power, but on 80-200-400 KVA for temporary site power, and they can have voltage fluctuation when a large demand is passed on to them, or they develop a fault if not sync'd.

Hence my question.

Your knowledge and advice is invaluable as always, but would you have any thoughts as to how both phones were damage due to charging on a ship electrical system using non approved third party cables?

ex techie

Nope. But then again, I was not aware of any hardware in an Apple cable, another reason I stay away from Apple products.

I turn my phone OFF as soon as we get on board. I charge it for only part of last day. It says when fully charged.

Also don't take a plug in clock. The power is somehow different and when we did take a plug in the clock time and my watch were different.

Do you think taking one of the approved extension cords like the medical cords they provide on the ship with circuit breakers would prevent phone damage since it would trip the circuits prior to anything hitting your phone? Like this one that Carnival uses on it's ships:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Medical-Grade-Patient-Care-PS-615-HG-OEM/dp/B00140S836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I planned on buying and taking one of these to plug our phones into, they aren't cheap but I know they are what the ship uses so I assume they are the best option out there. We don't use apple products but I don't want our Galaxies fried either, typically I never charge phones on board because I don't use phones on board. But with their new hub app I want to be able to text the kids to meet up with me when I need to so we will all have our phones this go round.

I turn my phone OFF as soon as we get on board. I charge it for only part of last day. It says when fully charged.

Also don't take a plug in clock. The power is somehow different and when we did take a plug in the clock time and my watch were different.

The issue with the clock is the frequency not the power. I bought a clock that is DC and uses a power adapter. This clock uses an internal time base.

Sadly Apple goes to extremes to tie people to their accessories. (I suspect an objective 3rd party examination would show that the issue has more to do with the fact that the cable is not an Apple branded/licensed product and very little to do with the cable's quality.)

If iPhone is your preference, don't bother trying to save a few dollars on 3rd party accessories. Just accept the fact that you are tied to Apple.

I've had the same iPhone for years. All I use is generic chargers, and I've never had a problem. Your theory is clearly flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've had the same iPhone for years. All I use is generic chargers, and I've never had a problem. Your theory is clearly flawed.

If you've had the same phone for years, then you may not have one of the most recent models for which a certified lightning cable makes a difference. And/or you have been lucky with your third-party accessories up to now. I am an Apple fan, but I don't deny the "theory" that they push their own accessories and do whatever they can to discourage the use of non-Apple products. And as long as the quality is in line with the price (this is up to each person to decide for themselves), I don't see anything scandalous about that.

Do you think taking one of the approved extension cords like the medical cords they provide on the ship with circuit breakers would prevent phone damage since it would trip the circuits prior to anything hitting your phone? Like this one that Carnival uses on it's ships:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Medical-Grade-Patient-Care-PS-615-HG-OEM/dp/B00140S836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I planned on buying and taking one of these to plug our phones into, they aren't cheap but I know they are what the ship uses so I assume they are the best option out there. We don't use apple products but I don't want our Galaxies fried either, typically I never charge phones on board because I don't use phones on board. But with their new hub app I want to be able to text the kids to meet up with me when I need to so we will all have our phones this go round.

IMO, I don't see anything special about these strips that would protect against transients, only overcurrents. They are just very robust in construction, so they hold up to hard use, plugs wouldn't get loose and fall out over time. It would take a large current draw for a short time to trip the circuit breakers, which by the time that happens, the attached device that caused the overcurrent in the first place is toast.

There is a big difference between a $0.50 receptacle and a $12.00 receptacle. They both are rated the same but the more expensive one is much better construction and will last longer.

I think "cheap" charger blocks are more likely a potential problem. Apple products somehow are able to recognize when a non-Apple charger cable is used and will tell you so on the display.

Edited by cruzincurt

Ok, I will admit I was a little too quick to +1 Cheng, because apple certified cables do have some circuitry in the USB part of the cable.

ex techie

Bummer.....because I hate the Apple charging (USB-lightning) cables. They're poorly constructed with respect to the stability at the "necks" where the linear cable reaches the USB or lightning head. I only use non-Apple branded cables -- some are Apple certified and some are not. I'll have to pay more attention to see if I can find certified cables without those weak spots.

Bummer.....because I hate the Apple charging (USB-lightning) cables. They're poorly constructed with respect to the stability at the "necks" where the linear cable reaches the USB or lightning head. I only use non-Apple branded cables -- some are Apple certified and some are not. I'll have to pay more attention to see if I can find certified cables without those weak spots.

Try these:

https://www.thegrommet.com/gifts/techie/tudia

Waiting for the developer to come up with ones that work on the MacBook cables now - I've gone through 4 cables since 2009 for my poor MacBook. I don't bitch about breaking the iPad cable - way less expensive than the MacBook replacement!!!