Woohoo! Just got FTTF for our cruise!

kctwinmommy

That's generic. If you have staggered check in you still have to select a time, but you can show up at your leisure.

Boarding is different and will be whenever they get all the guests off from the previous cruise. Usually at about 11-11:30AM. It varies.

Do you get given a check in time or just turn up?

What's the process? They take your luggage..... you check in with your hand luggage which goes through x-ray machines, then after your strip searched you are allowed on board? If you have bought cheers - do you get to use it straight away or are you expected to buy drinks until you depart the port?

PS.... I was jesting about the strip search.... well so I hope! lol

Do you get given a check in time or just turn up?

What's the process? They take your luggage..... you check in with your hand luggage which goes through x-ray machines, then after your strip searched you are allowed on board? If you have bought cheers - do you get to use it straight away or are you expected to buy drinks until you depart the port?

PS.... I was jesting about the strip search.... well so I hope! lol

You still have to select a check in time but if you're Diamond/Platinum/FTTF you can come earlier even if you got a late time.

You leave your luggage at the curb with a porter. It is customary to tip a buck or two per bag. I carry my own stuff on so skip that part.

Then security like the airport. Bottles of water, etc are not allowed but cans and one 750 ml bottle of wine per person 21 or over are.

If you arrive before boarding starts, you will have a seat in the waiting area until your number is called after you get your S&S card.

If you have Cheers you can start using it as soon as you get onboard. Cruises leaving from Texas are different I think because of their laws.

That's generic. If you have staggered check in you still have to select a time, but you can show up at your leisure.

Boarding is different and will be whenever they get all the guests off from the previous cruise. Usually at about 11-11:30AM. It varies.

That's what I thought but then I saw a time on the ticket and thought hmm. I did see a post where someone wasn't let into the terminal until the time on the FTTF ticket, not when they wanted to go in. Right now I have a 10-10:30am time confirmed but if I picked FTTF my ticket would show 11-11:30, that's an hour later than the time I already have.

If I happened to get one of the people that said no you can't go in until your ticket time I'd wind up being later than the time I originally had and having to wait an hour to go inside.

You still have to select a check in time but if you're Diamond/Platinum/FTTF you can come earlier even if you got a late time.

You leave your luggage at the curb with a porter. It is customary to tip a buck or two per bag. I carry my own stuff on so skip that part.

Then security like the airport. Bottles of water, etc are not allowed but cans and one 750 ml bottle of wine per person 21 or over are.

If you arrive before boarding starts, you will have a seat in the waiting area until your number is called after you get your S&S card.

If you have Cheers you can start using it as soon as you get onboard. Cruises leaving from Texas are different I think because of their laws.

OK thank you. On SS they say boarding starts at 2pm, but we were on at 12 for lunch and we were by no means the first. But with only 296 passengers, I guess its not a logistics nightmare like it is for 4000!

S&S card? I'm guessing its a form of ID / charge / room key?

On the subject of alcohol, it would appear from what others are saying, that they're actually being relaxed on it. Its a bit daft really since I have cheers, but I guess I could be bringing on for someone else!

That's what I thought but then I saw a time on the ticket and thought hmm. I did see a post where someone wasn't let into the terminal until the time on the FTTF ticket, not when they wanted to go in. Right now I have a 10-10:30am time confirmed but if I picked FTTF my ticket would show 11-11:30, that's an hour later than the time I already have.

If I happened to get one of the people that said no you can't go in until your ticket time I'd wind up being later than the time I originally had and having to wait an hour to go inside.

Here is an excerpt from the Carnival website in regards to Staggered Check In:

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal.

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard. Please keep in mind that transfers and Faster to the Fun may not be available for all sailings. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

You can show up anytime. It doesn't matter what your boarding pass or FTTF says. That instance could have been when the staggered check in was new and the people at the door didn't know.

Edited by firemanbobswife

OK thank you. On SS they say boarding starts at 2pm, but we were on at 12 for lunch and we were by no means the first. But with only 296 passengers, I guess its not a logistics nightmare like it is for 4000!

S&S card? I'm guessing its a form of ID / charge / room key?

On the subject of alcohol, it would appear from what others are saying, that they're actually being relaxed on it. Its a bit daft really since I have cheers, but I guess I could be bringing on for someone else!

S&S card - Sail and Sign card. Your room key, ship ID, and charge card for on the ship.

Does picking a check in time apply only to ports with staggered check-in? I'm booked, paid in full and have FTTF but I don't recall ever being asked to pick a check-in time.

Yes only certain ports have started the staggered check in times. I am going out of New Orleans and they have it there. I know they have it in Galveston too, not sure what others.

No the person with FTTF that was blocked from entering was recent, like this past week, luckily they only had to wait half an hour to catch up with the rest of the group. Probably just a mistake but not sure it's a mistake I want to risk happening to me. Being able to drop off carry on luggage would be nice though.

Yes only certain ports have started the staggered check in times. I am going out of New Orleans and they have it there. I know they have it in Galveston too, not sure what others.

No the person with FTTF that was blocked from entering was recent, like this past week, luckily they only had to wait half an hour to catch up with the rest of the group. Probably just a mistake but not sure it's a mistake I want to risk happening to me. Being able to drop off carry on luggage would be nice though.

Cool, thanks. I'm figuring ft Lauderdale doesn't have staggered check-in yet.

Ok found the post it's in the umm awww shoot I already forgot the title of it, sorry my memory sucks, ok checked my history, the mandatory late boarding with FTTF thread on the first page. It was port authority that wouldn't let them in before the time on the FTTF paperwork. In their case it wasn't a big deal they still boarded together since it was only half an hour difference. But it would be an hour wait if I showed up at 10 and they wouldn't let me in until 11. I don't think I want to start the girls first cruise off with an hour wait outside.

Wait since you still keep your check in time I could just show them my cruise docks with the 10 am check in couldn't I and not even show them my FTTF? Wouldn't that solve any confusion the port authority might have since it would show I have permission to enter at 10am?

Ok found the post it's in the umm awww shoot I already forgot the title of it, sorry my memory sucks, ok checked my history, the mandatory late boarding with FTTF thread on the first page. It was port authority that wouldn't let them in before the time on the FTTF paperwork. In their case it wasn't a big deal they still boarded together since it was only half an hour difference. But it would be an hour wait if I showed up at 10 and they wouldn't let me in until 11. I don't think I want to start the girls first cruise off with an hour wait outside.

Wait since you still keep your check in time I could just show them my cruise docks with the 10 am check in couldn't I and not even show them my FTTF? Wouldn't that solve any confusion the port authority might have since it would show I have permission to enter at 10am?

You're talking about ports that have the staggered boarding though, correct? We don't have that for our cruise.

You're talking about ports that have the staggered boarding though, correct? We don't have that for our cruise.

Yes if there is not staggered boarding you can just show up whenever you want to. That is what we've always done. This will be our first experience with staggered boarding or FTTF if we purchase it.

Yes if there is not staggered boarding you can just show up whenever you want to. That is what we've always done. This will be our first experience with staggered boarding or FTTF if we purchase it.

This will be our first experience with FTTF! :)

We got it for our other cruise in November, since we booked it much further out. We wanted it for that one since the friends with travel with are at I believe a diamond level, so we had to wait to get on and they would already be settled in, eating lunch, etc... LOL!

This will be our first experience with FTTF! :)

We got it for our other cruise in November, since we booked it much further out. We wanted it for that one since the friends with travel with are at I believe a diamond level, so we had to wait to get on and they would already be settled in, eating lunch, etc... LOL!

Yes it's nice to be settled in and relaxing for a couple hours while others are still standing in line waiting to get on. I feel like I'm paying for that first day, I am going to enjoy that first day as much as I can. I notice they are already selling FTTF for our Dec cruise too and only a couple left for it. Maybe I should grab that one first since I couldn't get a 10-10:30 check in for it, had to take the 10:30-11.

Yeah. But seriously don't sweat it. You can always show them on your phone where it says you get to arrive at any time. Or bring a copy of it with. Hundreds of people use it every week and I haven't really heard of that many issues. I think you're worrying for nothing. There are other benefits to FTTF than just the check in portion anyway.

Still checking every day. Up until a week ago the FTTF option was still showing in the excursion section. It was showing SOLD OUT. Now its not there at all, gone completely. I'm thinking our sailing has an abundance of Diamond and Platinum cruisers. Did have FTTF purchased but had to cancel the sailing. I decided to go solo a week later and tried to purchase again but it was sold out :eek:, oh well. I'll just keep checking.

Edited by miataman19

Still checking every day. Up until a week ago the FTTF option was still showing in the excursion section. It was showing SOLD OUT. Now its not there at all, gone completely. I'm thinking our sailing has an abundance of Diamond and Platinum cruisers.

That's odd! It doesn't show up on my excursions anymore either. But I just assumed that it was because I already bought it.

Still checking every day. Up until a week ago the FTTF option was still showing in the excursion section. It was showing SOLD OUT. Now its not there at all, gone completely. I'm thinking our sailing has an abundance of Diamond and Platinum cruisers. Did have FTTF purchased but had to cancel the sailing. I decided to go solo a week later and tried to purchase again but it was sold out :eek:, oh well. I'll just keep checking.

I take it platinum and silver cruisers are given extra perks (over and above discounts) to lesser mortals? Is this FTTF thing to readdress this balance by a "bribe" which is gratefully received?

What is the cost?

I got it for the first time for our upcoming cruise in July for a similar reason. I was on the fence about it, but our friends got FTTF and I can't be sitting there waiting to board while they're already on vacation.

I take it platinum and silver cruisers are given extra perks (over and above discounts) to lesser mortals? Is this FTTF thing to readdress this balance by a "bribe" which is gratefully received?

What is the cost?

Platinum and Diamond cruisers do get additional perks above and beyond FTTF.

FTTF is $59.95 per cabin for a 5 day or more cruise. $49.95 for 4 or less.

I am very glad I will be Platinum on my next cruise so I won't have to pay the extra cost or be worried about it being available or not. But let me tell you, I have had it for my past 5 or 6 cruises and it was worth every penny to me.

What is the cost?

A bribe is money that is paid in secret, and usually illegally. Carnival is quite open about it. "Give us $60 and we'll give you some of the perks that Platinum /Diamond cruisers get." And I'm more than happy to add to their bottom line if it means less standing in line. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Just one more slot available for someone who does...

A bribe is money that is paid in secret, and usually illegally. Carnival is quite open about it. "Give us $60 and we'll give you some of the perks that Platinum /Diamond cruisers get." And I'm more than happy to add to their bottom line if it means less standing in line. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Just one more slot available for someone who does...

Techy arent you?

A bribe is something given to get something you want. It doesnt have to be in secret and it doesnt have to be illegal. I'm sure people who offer their services for illegal bribes put a price on it too.

Besides. I deliberately but the word in "" to highlight and differentiate its use and not to give Mr pedant any reason to get uppity. Oh well.

Fishermansbobswife..... what exactily is it that FTTF gets you?

Edited by les37b