Getaway 5/15

coachjor

Hi all, just got off the Getaway (5/22).

Will answer any questions that people have.

Overall, we had a GREAT time.

I cannot stress enough to go see Million Dollar Quartet. They were absolutely AMAZING.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Welcome home glad you had a Great cruise.

We won't do any Specialties, how did you find the complimentary meals? We were impressed with the Getaway buffet, any comments (or comparison) on this buffet?

How was the pool deck? Is it hard to get chairs? Also, how were the ports? We are considering the Getaway for February 2017 and are not familiar with these ports, except Cozumel. We were on the Escape in April and loved it and would like to try another NCL cruise!

Welcome home glad you had a Great cruise.

We won't do any Specialties, how did you find the complimentary meals? We were impressed with the Getaway buffet, any comments (or comparison) on this buffet?

Overall the food was pretty good. The only non complementary place we ate at was the Illusionarium. The food there was okay.

We ate in the main dining rooms every other night. There were a couple odd items (shrimp and guacamole salad).

The buffet was good too. I'm sad to hear the Flamingo Grill is changing to a margaritaville. The coconut pastry was SO good. Try the warm cobblers I the buffet too. They were really good.

Edited by coachjor

Any difficulty getting reservations for comedy shows at Headliners?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Comedy show reservations filled up within the first day or so. We only went to 1 late night adult comedy and everyone in the standby line was able to get in.

Mia the host is hysterical!

How was the pool deck? Is it hard to get chairs? Also, how were the ports? We are considering the Getaway for February 2017 and are not familiar with these ports, except Cozumel. We were on the Escape in April and loved it and would like to try another NCL cruise!

The pool deck is small. I was nervous about getting a deck chair especially on a sea day. There were about 4800 passages on our voyage. We were able to find a good amount of open chairs on deck 16 by the water slide exit fairly easy on the first sea day.

Overall the ports were great. My favorite was Costa Maya. We planned a trip to Maya Chan private beach on our own and I can't recommend Maya Chan enough. It was BEAUTIFUL and they were so nice there. Roatan was a little shifty. Outside of the main port area is a little overwhelming with the amount of pushiness.

Edited by coachjor

Welcome back, glad you had a great time. Any tips for shady areas to lounge on top decks?

To be honest the shady areas are on deck 15. Deck 15 is also where the main pool is and is really crowded. We didn't check out Spice H2O during the day and there may be shady areas there. I would bet there are some shady areas higher up, but once we found our chair on 16 by the water slide exit and the rock wall we were happy and didn't move for a couple hours.

Hi We're sailing the Getaway this Sunday. Did you use iconcierge, is it true the price has shot up to $12.99?

Yes.. it definitely went up to $12.99 for us. I was shocked when I went to purchase it but still felt it was worth it since we were traveling with another couple.

Edited by DaniJo

Can you tell us how lines were at Customs? We always debate when is the smoothest time to disembark as we will stay another 3 days in Miami Beach afterwards. I hate when you rush off only to be stuck in long lines. We could stay to the last time allowed and let those that need to make a flight go first if it's more crowded through those times.

What time did you dock getting home? Did you do self disembark? If so how long did it take? We are sailing on Breakaway in Nov. and have a 11.30 flight, just wondering if we're safe.

We were on this weeks cruise as well and I'm not sure what time we docked but I awoke at 7:00 and the ship seemed to have been there awhile.

We did self disembark and left our rooms at 8:00. Getting on an elevator at that time was a challenge and then we stood in lines for awhile but we were through customs and standing across the street by 8:50.

We had prepaid for a shuttle to the Miami airport for 9:00 and even though the driver was a few minutes late, we were at the airport, bags checked and through TSA by 10:30. Things went quickly there.

We were on the same cruise! It was our first time on Norwegian and I have to say I really liked it. Like you, I loved the coconut pastries on the Flamingo Grill and our experiences seemed to be pretty similar. Like you, we loved Costa Maya and our least favorite port was Roatan. Million Dollar Quartet was unbelievable. I'm not much into musicals and whatnot, but that performance was amazing.

As for some of the questions on here people have asked, some of which have been answered and some of which not:

Yes, beach towels are in the room and you can take them off the ship.

The bars weren't too crowded, even with the UBP. There were a few times the bar staff was overwhelmed with a big rush of people, but for the most part I found it pretty easily accessible no matter where I was at.

Comedy shows do change. They alternated between a couple of comedians and some nights used the area for the Howl at the Moon performances.

We did not use the self departure option. We chose the 9:00 AM disembarkation and were off the ship, retrieved our bags, went through customs, and were in our car by 9:30. One of the staff told us to go ahead and line up at around 8:45, so in 45 minutes we got through all of it. By far the quickest process I've ever had on a cruise ship.

Question - it's free to use, but there's a fee if using the text feature?

Correct. Features other then text/call are free.

I found having the dailies, dining menus and ability to make reservations on there quite helpful.