Zika Virus cancellation...or not!

The woman was NOT pregnant, she is over 70 and had other health issues.

The cruise line (not RCCL) did refund most of her cruise fare but she had other expenses for the two of them such as pre cruise non refundable hotel, flights , etc., that were denied from travel insurance coverage. There was some explanation that insurance will not cover a fear that you might get sick.

M

Without cancel for any reason that makes sense, I mean, otherwise anybody could just argue that they were afraid of getting sick and cancel without paying the "for any reason" waiver. Insurance will pay if you do get sick, but not if you cancel out of fear.

I would continue to move up the RCCL command chain until you get someone who will listen to you. Not sure how much you will lose but if you go and aquire the disease it might cost you a lot more further down the road than the cost of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one thing to consider. Perhaps you could all still go, just do not disembark the ship? Especially if you can not get a refund. There are ALL kinds of things to do and enjoy on board. I will say this, in 25 cruises I have never been bitten by a misquito on or off the ship. Only bug issue I have ever had was noseeums in Belize I think it was...they have these little sand flea things there. Of coursr almost ally excursions and such involve water like snuba or snorkeling. Either way if you do not disembark or go outside on the ship while in port I would imagine the chances of getting bit by a zika infected misquito would be about a billon to one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Check out the sites on Sexually Transmitted Zika Virus......scary stuff!!!

Basics of Zika Virus and Sex-

A man with Zika virus can pass it to his female or male sex partners.

In the cases CDC knows about, men had symptoms. Zika can be passed before symptoms start, while he has symptoms, and after his symptoms end.

Edited by CVU

As a public health scientist, and epidemiologist by training, if I were pregnant neither my husband not I would travel to any Zika risk area--for any reason. Period. There's no way I would take the risk of traveling and staying on the boat. Of course, you all will have to determine what's acceptable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A natural repellent for Mosquitos is as follows mix a quality organic expressed coconut oil with a few drops of oil of peppermint, place in fridge in small, couple ounces container, rub on skin as it is in gel form. Healthy, keep out of eyes, natural spf factor and can repel bugs including mosquito. I take it on cruises keep in fridge in room and apply when going out. I would avoid the areas with the virus if you are with child, or elderly.

Please be very cautious of natural remedies, especially when pregnant. Peppermint oil and pregnant women are not a good mix

We are also based in the uk and whilst I sympathise with your situation, would have to disagree with comments made by OP.

There has been lots of info on news bulletins related to zika , particularly due to olympics and also info on both the uk rccl site as well as info being accessible on uk.gov travel websites.

In respect of lost payments, unless you are past final payment date, you should only lose your deposit and shouldn't be liable for the full amount- check your booking form again.

For those interested-In the UK we don' t have the freedom to change bookings without penalty like you do in the US- we usually pay a non refundable deposit and incur charges in respect of any changes made pre full payment which is usually about eight weeks prior to vacation. Tends to be standard and not just for cruises.

Edited by kazy66

Any possibility of changing the itinerary to one in Europe. Also, RCCL may be more forgiving if you spend more money. Or if that doesn't work, maybe offer to let them give you a choice of less booked cruises. You will probably need to speak to a supervisor.

Forget about fighting them for airfare, that is not their responsibility.

There is also no SPF from either coconut or peppermint oil.

Although not significant, these and a number of other natural oils do in fact contain a measurable SPF:

Coconut - 7.119

Peppermint - 6.668

I'll stick with commercial sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 50.

Having only booked a cruise last week to the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas, we find the following day via an email from The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that 3 of the 4 places to be visited have the Zika virus.

We were not informed of this information when booking, and were to travel with our daughter in law who is pregnant. We find however that there is no way although we were to travel together that Royal Carribean with neither refund our monies nor exchange the place of travel. We have tried for the last 3 days and they say its only the pregnant guest that can cancel. For that reason we are having to pay for a cruise we cannot take.

Also my husband of 78 only last year recovered from a quadruple heart bypass and would be silly to take to places where he could easily pick up the virus. We should have been informed at the time of booking also.

We have done several Royal Carribean cruises but find this to be totally disgraceful in the circumstances when they wont even transfer us.

Please give me your me your comments or advice please...

Zika has been front page news for MONTHS. there is zero reason whatsoever that you should have missed it. and it is YOUR responsibility not the cruise lines to keep abreast of such things. since only the pregnant person is in danger then only they are authorized to receive any compensation without penalty.

Although not significant, these and a number of other natural oils do in fact contain a measurable SPF:

Coconut - 7.119

Peppermint - 6.668

I'll stick with commercial sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 50.

I stand corrected!

But - like you - there's no way I would rely on them to protect me from the sun. IMO the protection they offer is too insignificant.

Also IMO: a problem saying we can use them as sunscreen is that it could lead to a false sense of security - which could then lead to a more severe burn.

Having only booked a cruise last week to the Carribean on Freedom of the Seas, we find the following day via an email from The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that 3 of the 4 places to be visited have the Zika virus.

We were not informed of this information when booking, and were to travel with our daughter in law who is pregnant. We find however that there is no way although we were to travel together that Royal Carribean with neither refund our monies nor exchange the place of travel. We have tried for the last 3 days and they say its only the pregnant guest that can cancel. For that reason we are having to pay for a cruise we cannot take.

Also my husband of 78 only last year recovered from a quadruple heart bypass and would be silly to take to places where he could easily pick up the virus. We should have been informed at the time of booking also.

We have done several Royal Carribean cruises but find this to be totally disgraceful in the circumstances when they wont even transfer us.

Please give me your me your comments or advice please...

We just received this email yesterday and we board on Saturday:

Dear Valued Guest,

We are writing to provide important health information regarding the Zika virus.

Royal Caribbean International is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

Should you be pregnant and not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus, we will provide you with alternate itinerary options. This may include providing a future cruise credit valid for two years so that you may re-schedule your voyage for a later date, with no penalty.

In order to reduce the risk of contracting any number of diseases spread by mosquito bite, including Zika virus, we urge guests to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites by remaining in well screened or air conditioned areas when possible, by wearing light-colored clothing that adequately covers the arms and legs, and by applying insect repellant to both skin and clothing.

Should you have any additional questions about the Zika virus, please visit the CDC's website. For travel-related concerns, please visit the following website or contact us or your travel agent:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=royal_caribbean_security_guide

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.