Canada/NE October Zuiderdam or Veendam?

carolian

Can anyone suggest which ship may be better than the other. We are currently booked on the Veendam from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in D grade on lower promenade deck.

However now thinking of switching to Zuiderdam from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale in H grade obstructed view on upper promenade deck.

We have sailed Statendam, Ryndam, Volendam and Amsterdam previously.

Any comments/advice will be much appreciated.

Carole

Can anyone suggest which ship may be better than the other. We are currently booked on the Veendam from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale in D grade on lower promenade deck.

However now thinking of switching to Zuiderdam from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale in H grade obstructed view on upper promenade deck.

We have sailed Statendam, Ryndam, Volendam and Amsterdam previously.

Any comments/advice will be much appreciated.

Carole

Since the Veendam is the second oldest ship in the HAL fleet, I would go with the Zuiderdam. Plus I am not fond of sailing out of Montreal (bad boarding experience last time). Of course, the ports on each cruise should also be considered.

Edited by DaveOKC

Since the Veendam is the second oldest ship in the HAL fleet, I would go with the Zuiderdam. Plus I am not fond of sailing out of Montreal (bad boarding experience last time). Of course, the ports on each cruise should also be considered.

I agree with all of this. Worst boarding experience EVER in Montreal a few years ago. But I understand they're working on the cruise terminal (cow shed), so OP might not be boarding there.

In addition ot comparing porty stops, I would also look at travel to the embarkation port as a factor in planning.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Boarding early this May in Montreal at the temporary cruise facility In the commercial port went very well. Extremely efficient and fast.

I agree travel to embarkation port might be important to you - for me it is easier to get to Montreal then Quebec. If you prefer larger ships, go with the Zuiderdam. But if you like the size ships you have been on (R and S class), take the Veendam.

I think you will love Zuiderdam. She is a bit bigger than the ships you have already experienced. If you enjoy the spa you'll love the thassolotherapy pool on the Zdam. You'll have quite a few sea days on that itinerary I think so having the larger ship and a few more venues to hang out in is a plus... I sailed on Veendam to Bermuda and it was lovely, but given a choice, I think the Vista ship would be great for your cruise.

Edited by Moriah

We, too, have sailed both ships and, yes, the Zuiderdam is newer and a nice ship. However, I vote Veendam for the following reasons:

Travel to Montreal is easier to fly to, even though the airport is so far outside of the port area. I do not recall when the cruise port will be back in operation, but have heard the alternate location seems to be working well, with free shuttle to get you there.

The main reason is the ports. There is something magical about sailing out of New York, past "the Lady". That has been my all time favorite sail-away. The other reason is that the "V" stops at Charleston, and the "Z" stops at Canaveral. I would take Charleston any day.

If you don't mind a little more walking, I would suggest the Z, because our last experience aboard the V was not a good one.

You should try a larger ship once just to see which you prefer.

I have sailed both ships and would also vote for the "Z". Just seemed to be a bit of a better experience. However, I would choose the itinerary that makes more sense. The difference was not that big.

Thank you to everyone for your really constructive comments.

We have now switched our reservation to the Zuiderdam sailing from Quebec on October 7.

Our daughter and son in law live in Montreal so we will fly there before making our way to the ship.

Having spent days buried in deck plans we finally decided to book 4064 cabin. The extra cost for a balcony seemed unjustified as we only have three non port days. We may live to regret this.

We are going to Canada in June and we are spending three nights in Quebec before flying home. We will check out the train on this trip.

HAL do offer a transfer from Montreal Airport to the ship also, so we may consider that alternative.

Very many thanks again for such prompt and helpful advice.

Carole

Thank you to everyone for your really constructive comments.

We have now switched our reservation to the Zuiderdam sailing from Quebec on October 7.

Our daughter and son in law live in Montreal so we will fly there before making our way to the ship.

Having spent days buried in deck plans we finally decided to book 4064 cabin. The extra cost for a balcony seemed unjustified as we only have three non port days. We may live to regret this.

We are going to Canada in June and we are spending three nights in Quebec before flying home. We will check out the train on this trip.

HAL do offer a transfer from Montreal Airport to the ship also, so we may consider that alternative.

Very many thanks again for such prompt and helpful advice.

Carole

Great decision! We'll see you on board! We loved the Veendam, but the Zuiderdam is a great ride. Enjoy!

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

• 8 months later...

I'm afraid that I can't add any comparative notes for you but I was on the Veendam from Boston to Montreal October 1 last year (2016) and enjoyed it quite a bit. The only negative for the ship itself we had was it had one of those bathrooms where the fan never shut off even though it was supposed to. Other that that the cruise itself had many more positives than negatives.

We chose the Veendam because we wanted to end up in Montreal. We'd never been to either city and had a fantastic time in both places, but I'd rather spend more time in Montreal. But that is based on a short comparison of the two cities.

There were some wonderful dinners we had on the Veendam in the standard dining room.

We sailed on the Zuiderdam from New York to Québec City last September on the 10 day Colors of Canada and New England Cruise. The ship and itinerary were both wonderful. Flying home from Montreal may be easier, but we enjoyed the overnight in Quebec City. We flew back to St. Louis via Philadelphia, we had a 15 hour lay over in Philly, found an airport hotel and made our connecting flight the next day. This enabled us to spend most of debarkation day in Quebec City. You can store your luggage at the cruise terminal for a very nominal fee, as long as you pick it up before 5PM. We then got a taxi at the terminal parking lot to take us to the Jean LeSage Airport. Had a great experience on this cruise.

BTW, the sail away from Manhattan harbor is spectacular. We love eating dinner in the MDR, but ate in the Lido that night because we didn't want to miss a thing.