ACRYLIC NAILS manicure-SERENADE spa

This is a silly question but I need to know as I'll be on the ship for almost 3 weeks and will need to have my acrylic nails filled after two weeks time!!!

Has anyone used this service in the Salon to have acrylic nails filled? I do them at home every 2 weeks and will be docking in Copenhagen in between cruises (back to back) and could get off the ship and look for a place but wondered if the ship does this and do they do a good job/???

If anyone could help me that would be so wonderful. Or on the other hand, If someone knows of a place close to the pier I could take a take or shuttle to, that would be good also.

Thanks in advance!

I would be wary of any nail or hair services offered by the salon on board. I have read reviews of their nail services which were all very negative. To be fair, a lot of the reviews were maybe 3-4 years old.

I had my hair done on my Allure sailing last week and it was a disaster. They didn't listen to what I wanted and gave me an ugly, outdated hairstyle. I read bad reviews about their hair services but thought, oh it can't be that bad. But I was wrong! It was that bad!

I wouldn't trust my nails to them, to be honest. Use Yelp to find a salon near Copenhagen and look for pictures of their work.

Ps the reviews I read were all for different ships, so it seems to be a fleet wide issue.

Edited by pharaoh

I had acrylic nails done in February 2016 on Oasis of the Seas and July 2015 on Carnival Legend. They were fine and I would not hesitate to have them done onboard if my fill fell while I was on vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Broke 1 acrylic nail while on Serenade b2b. The fix and fill turned out just fine. The tech had worked at a high end hotel in Jamaica. If the job is a barometer of truth, then I'd say she told the truth.

I also have acrylic nails but I use gel polish. Honestly I can go three weeks between fills, especially when I go the French route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So is the gel polish used on top of acrylic nail? Also, doing a french manicure is a good idea as it is more natural looking but still will need it redone before our 4 week trip. Should I consider having "gel" nails done INSTEAD of acrylic or is that just polish on top of the acrylic?

I would be wary of any nail or hair services offered by the salon on board. I have read reviews of their nail services which were all very negative. To be fair, a lot of the reviews were maybe 3-4 years old.

I agree....in the Steiner salons the massage staff tends to be south african/aussie but the nail staff seems to be from Jamaica. I had the most painful pedicure in my life. She dug into my feet and nailbed. she said "special Jamaica method" while smiling. Since then I look and if their name tag says they are from jamaica I won't have them do my nails. Just so the PC police don't get me, I'm not saying don't go to them because they are from Jamaica but apparently the Jamaica method is different and in my opinion painful.

So is the gel polish used on top of acrylic nail? Also, doing a french manicure is a good idea as it is more natural looking but still will need it redone before our 4 week trip. Should I consider having "gel" nails done INSTEAD of acrylic or is that just polish on top of the acrylic?

Yes, you can do acrylic nails with a gel polish on top. It's more durable than regular nail polish and can last several weeks without chipping.

If you use a natural base color then it can grow out without looking TOO bad, but I understand wanting to get your nails filled at the 2 week mark.

You can certainly do the gel polish instead of the acrylic fill, but depending on how thick the existing acrylic is, you will see that line of demarcation between your natural nail and the acrylic, even through the gel polish.

Having worn acrylic nails for what seems like forever I would say unless it's an emergency then try to get them done in port somewhere or as other suggested get them done at home and painted.

I have acrylic nails and then shellac on top and they look the same on day 15 as they do on day 1. If the colour is not too noticable then the grow out won't show too much.

I try to get my nails done a day or two before the hols and they still look good 3 weeks later. I do have a great salon I use.

More than anything else the cost on board is way way overpriced!

I can't remember the silly price for a full set of acrylics but the cost to replace a broken nail is $15 plus %18 tip :eek: - Again that is just for ONE nail!

Thats like £12, nearly what it costs for an infill for a whole set at home!

I made that mistake once early on in cruising and it was badly done so now I take a set of stick-on nails and some glue and if I break one, that will do until I get home. I do take a polish with me in neutral colour to repaint all the nails if that happens.

You can get the kits from any local chemist.

DH and I both ended up having our hair cut while on our TA on Legend in 2014 and we both got great cuts and were very pleased. We are going on a b2b in September (29 days) and I will definitely need a fill so will need to have it done while on the ship since we will be in the middle of the South Pacific. I have no qualms about using the ship's spa staff even if it does cost a bit extra. It's not that I have to pay that price every time I get a fill - only once.

Hi! Recently retired Nail Tech here...I had a good number of three week vacationers as clients. Go see your regular nail tech just prior to leaving. Have her/him take the nail down a bit shorter than you usually would if coming back in for your regular two week fill. If you like them square with a little curve on the edges "squovall" (obviously not a real word);) they will tend to be stronger. Less apt to break than the more pointed shape.

Do not put gel over your acrylic, and don't change to gel if you are use to acrylic. Unless you have time before your cruise to change to gel and see if gel works well with your chemistry. Remember gel nails grow at the same rate as acrylic nails, so no value add here.

By all means do pink and white (french) and do put shellac or some type of gel polish over your acrylic. A neutral or pale pink works best as the nail growth won't show as much. Have a great trip and don't stress. I always told my customers when they would stress out "It's only nails!";)

I had to smile when I read this post .... :p !

My nail Tech just told me to book her a cabin and then I would have no worries about my nails! They would look great the entire cruise, no matter how many days we were gone !! :eek:

On a serious note ... I have used several nail techs on board different ships for broken nails , " and NO they were NOT MY NAIL TECH"S NAILS" at least they weren't broken! I can easily go 4 weeks without a fill with no problem!

I have my nail refilled many times, on many different cruise ships and have never had any problem. Yes mainly by girls from Jamaica.

Our next cruise is 42 days so there will be many trips to the spa for my nails. I would rather have them done on the ship than on land where I have no idea where to find a salon.

How are you going to find a nail salon and get the fill in the few hours you have on shore?

Yes, it is expensive but it is very convenient. Just one of the costs of being on long cruises.

Sue