Live on the Inifinty to Alaska May 29 - Jun 05

photosg

Oh how quickly the week has gone!

In the morning there was an announcement from the captain acknowledging the difficulties experienced at Ketchikan and that as compensation for a less than ideal port experience some (refundable!) credit would be given.

This was followed by a letter with the amount credited. I am guessing that different categories got different amounts but I thought what we received was more than fair. I think they factored in something for the distress of the accident as well, over and above just missing a port due to bad weather.

After breakfast I went up to the Constellation lounge for the Life at Sea Q and A. Some interesting questions not only about the entertainment onboard but also the life of the crew. Don't think there was anything that would surprise regular readers of cruisecritic, but it was good to acknowledge the cheerfulness and helpfulness of many of the staff on board.

During lunch we passed through a patch of fog and we left the cold and wet behind and sailed into the warmth and sunshine.

Packing was relatively painless.

And then it was a rather bittersweet final dinner in Luminae.

Thanks for coming along for the cruise!

#hiaotravel continues on Instagram with a three day Amtrak journey across America. I won't have internet until I arrive in New York on Wednesday so I won't be responding until then.

For those joining infinity tomorrow enjoy your cruise!

The most disappointing part came when they showed us the dessert menu. The menu we saw outside had mentioned cherries jubilee so we had been looking forward to that all afternoon. But the printed menu before us only had some strange Top Chef creations instead. I ended up with a lemon sorbet. Luckily the chocolate lava is on the classics part of the menu and it was good.

You should have just asked for the cherries jubilee.......I am sure you would have got them

You should have just asked for the cherries jubilee.......I am sure you would have got them

We did! This was in Blu, they just said no cherries jubilee only the TOP Chef desserts. When we told them in Luminae Chitra produced them the next time they appeared in Trellis. Luminae has won our hearts.

Thank you so much for your posts and pictures. It was fantastic that you took the time to post. Have a great train ride, that sound so much fun.

Thank you! It was a pleasure to take time and review each day.

To be honest I'm a bit apprehensive about the train. I've done sleepers before but for only one night. I may have done two nights in a row but that would have been when I was 11 years old!

Yes! Another vote for Felix and his entire team. We were on the Pacific Coastal Cruise recently and Felix made a tremendous spot even that much better. The Luminae hostess, her name is slipping my mind right now, was also just as charming and accommodating as she could be.

If you happen to remember to, please tell them both hello from Jonathan and Todd. They were true assets to Celebrity!

Thanks and continue to enjoy your sailing!

The Luminae hostess is Cevrine, from Mauritius. She really did make us feel welcome!

we rented a car to get us to the shrine of St Therese and then we headed up to the Medenhall Glacier.

photosg: I was happy/surprised to see a Shine to St Therese. This particular Saint was very special to my mother. Her message was it's the "little things' that one does are much more significant to the world than the 'big things'.

My question is: Being our first time in Juneau, and the Ice Caves being our number one excursion priority - do you think that we would have time to rent a car and get up to the Shrine and make it back to either the Infinity or the Mendenhall Glacier vistors center by 11:30/noon?

also: How beautiful is the Drive to the shrine?

Thank you again for all your great information.

Edited by hnet999

The Luminae hostess is Cevrine, from Mauritius. She really did make us feel welcome!

Thanks for the memory refresh... We'll always remember her explaining the location of her home while using her hands and describing its proximity to Madagascar and the African coast. Just so charming... we always felt so welcome!

We did! This was in Blu, they just said no cherries jubilee only the TOP Chef desserts. When we told them in Luminae Chitra produced them the next time they appeared in Trellis. Luminae has won our hearts.

Blu now has top chef food...thought that was confined to fhe mdr? Anyhow glad the cruise ended well....safe journey home

Thanks for the live report! Have loved following along and your great photos. I'm inspired to do the same on my trip next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

great stuff, I look forward to it.:D

A very long and tiring day.

we rented a car to get us to the shrine of St Therese and then we headed up to the Medenhall Glacier.

photosg: I knew you were on the train for couple day so I wanted to ask again .....

I was happy/surprised to see a Shine to St Therese. This particular Saint was very special to my mother. Her message was it's the "little things' that one does are much more significant to the world than the 'big things'.

My question is: Being our first time in Juneau, and the Ice Caves being our number one excursion priority - do you think that we would have time to rent a car and get up to the Shrine and make it back to either the Infinity or the Mendenhall Glacier vistors center by 11:30/noon?

photosg: I knew you were on the train for couple day so I wanted to ask again .....

I was happy/surprised to see a Shine to St Therese. This particular Saint was very special to my mother. Her message was it's the "little things' that one does are much more significant to the world than the 'big things'.

Hello again! Yes we ended up with an extra 12 hours on the train due to a freight train derailment making our tracks impassable for some time.

As for St Teresa's the short answer is yes. It's only 24 miles from the city centre (where the ship docks), and Mendenhall Glacier is in between so between St Teresa's and the Glacier it might only be a 15-20 minute drive. The highway hugs the coast so it's beautiful views all the way. And one particular spot where there were very many eagles all around. There's actually quite a lot to see at the shrine if you want to see everything. I would say anything from at least an hour to two. Looking at the time stamps in my photos we were up at the glacier visitor centre about 2 hours after we arrived at St Teresa's.

Hope this info helps!