Private Tour to Chichen Itza from Cozumel

thepoint

Has anyone taken a private to to Chichen Itza from Cozumel? Could you please provide some recommendations? Will be arriving in Cozumel at noon on February 7th and departing at 5pm on February 8th. We are thinking that February 8th would be the best day leaving early and getting back to the ship by 3:00. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Royal Caribbean has an excursion that lasts 10.5 hours, and I think that's rushing things. You need to keep in mind that you have to work around the ferry from and to Cozumel, and that once you are on the mainland, you are looking at a 2 hour drive each way.

In your shoes, I would get in touch with a travel agent, and also consider staying overnight either at Chichen Itza (there is a small 8 room hotel on the premises) or close by.

We would not even consider not booking it through the ship.

Whilst this would obviously be the usual advice the OP is staying overnight in Cozumel so does have some leeway. Also take into consideration the next port of call in case you have to make your own way there.

That said I personally wouldn't want to do the trip from Cozumel and would save it for a land trip to the mainland. However if you are intent on doing it I would do as the PP suggested and stay overnight at Chichen. There are companies on the mainland that arrange this from Playa or Cancun but not sure if your timing with the ferries would work, or if you would need to self-drive.

Edited by c-leg5

Royal Caribbean has an excursion that lasts 10.5 hours, and I think that's rushing things. You need to keep in mind that you have to work around the ferry from and to Cozumel, and that once you are on the mainland, you are looking at a 2 hour drive each way.

In your shoes, I would get in touch with a travel agent, and also consider staying overnight either at Chichen Itza (there is a small 8 room hotel on the premises) or close by.

Thank you so much, with the responses we realize that doing Chichen Itza is not a doable option for private tour. We are not interested in spending this much times to get to a place to only have a few hours of actual visit time. Not to mention the stress of getting back to the ship. Perhaps some other time under different circumstances. But, we are not that carefree that we would chance missing the boat!! We also have no desire to do the ship's tour. Spending this much time just to get there is not worth it. I appreciate everyone's advice and help. Thank you for your responses.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone taken a private to to Chichen Itza from Cozumel? Could you please provide some recommendations? Will be arriving in Cozumel at noon on February 7th and departing at 5pm on February 8th. We are thinking that February 8th would be the best day leaving early and getting back to the ship by 3:00. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you don't mind me asking, what ship are you sailing on? I'd love to do an overnight in Cozumel.

We are on the Celebrity Equinox. The ship arrives on Feb 7th at noon and departs Feb 8th at 5 pm. The timing does not work out for us and we will not be doing any tours to Chichen. It is to long of a drive, not to mention the ferry. We agree with the posting from C-legs this is best saved for a land trip another time. Good luck in your travels, if you go.

• 7 months later...

If your ship docks in Cozumel and you're considering an excursion to Chichen Itza, read on... This was the highlight of our cruise. Leo from "Fly Cozumel" made sure we had an amazing experience. He did not disappoint. From the very beginning when I first contacted him weeks before, he stayed in constant contact with me explaining everything about the day and what to expect. When the cruise ship arrived, a cab was waiting for us to take us to the airport, no hassles. We went with two other couples from the ship and then joined up with six other people from another group on the same cruise. The plane seemed relatively new and the ride was amazingly smooth. The pilot flew over the ship so we can get great pictures, and we were in Chichen Itza in about 45 minutes. He did another fly over the site before we landed. Another cab took us to Chichen Itza, where we were met by a private tour guide. We arrived before all the crowds. The tour guide was amazing, he was obviously very knowledgeable and loved what he did and had so much pride in the Mayan culture. We spent over two hours at the site. A cab then took us to lunch and to visit one of the Cenotes. We had about another hour there before taking a cab back to the plane for a ride back to Cozumel. The whole day was spectacular, flawless, hasslefree. I would recommend Leo and Fly Cozumel to anyone wanting to see Chichen Itza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was $290 per person. That included all transportation as well as lunch and admission to Chichen Itza, the private tour guide and admission to the Cenote. The ships excursion was $140 per person just for Chichen Itza. Given the almost 7 hours of round trip transportation, it was a no-brainer for us

• 3 weeks later...
It was $290 per person. That included all transportation as well as lunch and admission to Chichen Itza, the private tour guide and admission to the Cenote. The ships excursion was $140 per person just for Chichen Itza. Given the almost 7 hours of round trip transportation, it was a no-brainer for us

I just got a price for our trip on April 2. $1,450 for 3 people and $1,750 if 5 people. I am all for spending money for a vacay but I can't stomach sending hubby and 2 boys for that kind of money. Now if more people were going to offset costs than I would do it for sure.

I just got a price for our trip on April 2. $1,450 for 3 people and $1,750 if 5 people. I am all for spending money for a vacay but I can't stomach sending hubby and 2 boys for that kind of money. Now if more people were going to offset costs than I would do it for sure.

At first we were hesitant about the price as well. Although we had six people for that price so it was a little cheaper. In the end though it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And what made it really worth it was getting to the site before all of the hordes of tourist from the cruise ships got there. And we had so much time to actually tour of the site with our private tour guide. We've been to other ruins in Mexico, but nothing compares to Chichen Itza

At first we were hesitant about the price as well. Although we had six people for that price so it was a little cheaper. In the end though it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And what made it really worth it was getting to the site before all of the hordes of tourist from the cruise ships got there. And we had so much time to actually tour of the site with our private tour guide. We've been to other ruins in Mexico, but nothing compares to Chichen Itza

Now we have decided to do it if other people want to join in on April 6. $300 is a lot better than $500!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums