Scenic Options from Passau

HenrysAunt

Has anyone recently done the Scenic cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest? I have seen on Getaway, Jamie Durie doing an option from Passau to Cseky Krumlov, rather than Salzburg. I can't find anything written about it and am wondering if this is still an option. Many thanks for any info :)

Have you tried contacting Scenic directly? Last September on Scenic's "Gems of the Danube" we did have a choice between Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov. Part of the reason for choosing this tour was the Cesky Krumlov option. The town was not the least bit crowded the day we visited and it was as charming as the pictures imply.

HenrysAunt, we just got back for the Gems of the Danube on Scenic. The excursions from Passau were booked on board when we embarked. They handed out papers to be completed with the options for several ports and asked for them to be turned in that night. Then they know how many buses and guides to allocate to each option.

We went with Cesky and it was a neat medieval village. The people that went to Salzburg were equally happy with their choice.

HenrysAunt, we just got back for the Gems of the Danube on Scenic. The excursions from Passau were booked on board when we embarked. They handed out papers to be completed with the options for several ports and asked for them to be turned in that night. Then they know how many buses and guides to allocate to each option.

We went with Cesky and it was a neat medieval village. The people that went to Salzburg were equally happy with their choice.

Brilliant, thank you so much! Three and a half months to go and I CANT WAIT!!

Not sure what happened to my earlier post so I'm posting again. On some cruises heading down river, Scenic does not offer the C-K tour as an option. I phoned to clarify this, as I have booked the Nuremberg-Budapest (Danube Discovery) tour for July.

The answer I got is a) if it isn't described on the website page or in the downloadable tourbook for the direction your trip takes, it isn't offered and b) the rationale for not offering C-K on my trip is that our riverboat stops at Regensburg, which is also a medieval town. When we reach Passau, the only tour offered is Salzburg.

Your tour (Jewels of Europe -- the Amsterdam to Budapest direction) has exactly the same tour description as mine for Passau. In the other direction -- Budapest - Amsterdam -- the cruise includes C-K, I believe.

With respect to others who have posted above, the cruise they refer to is Gems of the Danube, which has a different itinerary than Jewels of Europe.

You will still get to see a well-preserved medieval town (Regensburg) without the need for a long bus trip. But you won't have the option of C-K as an alternative to Salzburg.

Thanks. I read your earlier thread - I'd posted elsewhere and I think it was moved. Not a big deal if we don't, I just thought it looked more interesting than Salzburg, but in saying that, I've also always wanted to go there so at least I don't have to make that decision now :-)

• 3 months later...

Hi, just wondering whether anyone has actually stayed in Passau instead of doing excursions further afield? How long does Scenic stay in Passau? One posting I read said that they were only there until around 10 in the morning. Can anyone help with this enquiry? We have some friends in Passau and we were hoping to catch up with them. Thanks.:)

This is from our cruise, this was on Sept 2, 2016 stop

Arrived at 8 AM in Passau, busses left for Salzburg then the Sound of Music lunch.

Ship left Passau at 10:30 sailing to Linz

How long did it take to go to Linz and what did you do there? It looks like we might have to do the Salzburg trip. Two hours is not long enough to visit. We were hoping to go through the old town of Passau where my grandfather lived.

The busses left Passau at 8 AM, went to Salzburg for a walking tour and free time, got back on bus and went to lunch with a Sound of Music show (which was good), then back on bus to Linz. the ship arrived in Linz around 5:30 PM and left at 10 PM. We did not do anything in Linz, by the time we got there on the bus it was time to clean up and get ready for dinner.

The busses left Passau at 8 AM, went to Salzburg for a walking tour and free time, got back on bus and went to lunch with a Sound of Music show (which was good), then back on bus to Linz. the ship arrived in Linz around 5:30 PM and left at 10 PM. We did not do anything in Linz, by the time we got there on the bus it was time to clean up and get ready for dinner.

Hi, thanks for that. It looks like there is no point contacting our friends since we would not be able to spend any time with them. We have been to Cesky Krumlov and it is a beautiful destination. The castle part is lovely ,but you are not permitted to take photos which I found so frustrating because the ballroom is unique. The doors were locked by the guide after each room was looked at before we entered the other rom which was the first time we had experienced this. Nevertheless is worth seeing and a walk along the ramparts gave you beautiful views. We visited from Prague and it was several hours away. We did get stopped on our way there by police who checked everyone's IDs and anyone who didn't have photo ID like their passports or drivers licence were fined. That held us up for an hour and these fines were then hand written. We always carry a laminated colour photocopy of our passport photo page and it was accepted.

Edited by montelco
typing error

Has anyone recently done the Scenic cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest? I have seen on Getaway, Jamie Durie doing an option from Passau to Cseky Krumlov, rather than Salzburg. I can't find anything written about it and am wondering if this is still an option. Many thanks for any info :)

We sailed the opposite direction from Budapest to Amsterdam in late June. On our trip the C-K was not offered so we visited Salzburg and enjoyed the Sound of Music show.

Paul

Hi, thanks for that. It looks like there is no point contacting our friends since we would not be able to spend any time with them. We have been to Cesky Krumlov and it is a beautiful destination. The castle part is lovely ,but you are not permitted to take photos which I found so frustrating because the ballroom is unique. The doors were locked by the guide after each room was looked at before we entered the other rom which was the first time we had experienced this. Nevertheless is worth seeing and a walk along the ramparts gave you beautiful views. We visited from Prague and it was several hours away. We did get stopped on our way there by police who checked everyone's IDs and anyone who didn't have photo ID like their passports or drivers licence were fined. That held us up for an hour and these fines were then hand written. We always carry a laminated colour photocopy of our passport photo page and it was accepted.

Why not contact your friends in Passau and visit them. Then they could either drive you to Linz, lovely drive along the Danube it's 85 Km and takes about 1.25 hours (via autobahn its 120km 1.5 hours). Or take the train, direct (no changing), Intercity take an hour, regional train takes 1. hours.

How long did it take to go to Linz and what did you do there? It looks like we might have to do the Salzburg trip. Two hours is not long enough to visit. We were hoping to go through the old town of Passau where my grandfather lived.

I am just back from Amsterdam to Budapest, and have the daily programme right here. The ship arrived in Passau approx. 8am, then sailed again at 10.15am for Linz, arriving there at 5.30pm but not sailing from there until 9.45pm.

They are fairly relaxed about people doing their own thing, just as long as you let them know. As someone else suggested, you could leave the ship in Linz and re-join under your own steam in Linz.

We stayed onboard that day as we were under the weather, and the trip down the river was very interesting if you do decide to board at 10.15am.

I will try and post a photo of the daily programme.

Edited by HenrysAunt
Attaching photo

Why not contact your friends in Passau and visit them. Then they could either drive you to Linz, lovely drive along the Danube it's 85 Km and takes about 1.25 hours (via autobahn its 120km 1.5 hours). Or take the train, direct (no changing), Intercity take an hour, regional train takes 1. hours.

Thank you! What a fantastic idea! We are in Passau on a Wednesday so I would assume that the trains run frequently throughout the day to Linz. Do you know how often? My grandfather lived in Vilshofen near Passau but I remember sitting on top of a hill in Passau looking down at the rivers as he treated us to an ice cream and fizzy drink. I would like to toast to his memory there and meet our friends.:)

I am just back from Amsterdam to Budapest, and have the daily programme right here. The ship arrived in Passau approx. 8am, then sailed again at 10.15am for Linz, arriving there at 5.30pm but not sailing from there until 9.45pm.

They are fairly relaxed about people doing their own thing, just as long as you let them know. As someone else suggested, you could leave the ship in Linz and re-join under your own steam in Linz.

We stayed onboard that day as we were under the weather, and the trip down the river was very interesting if you do decide to board at 10.15am.

I will try and post a photo of the daily programme.

Thank you very much. That sounds interesting. Now I have a few options. I would be interested in seeing the daily programme. Much appreciated. :)

Thank you! What a fantastic idea! We are in Passau on a Wednesday so I would assume that the trains run frequently throughout the day to Linz. Do you know how often?

Train schedule. Yes, the trains run often. You could take a regional train or one of the fast ICE trains (bucket list?). Price difference!

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?ld=23&seqnr=2&ident=bn.017120176.1476527279&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1