Kids 12 and under now $10 in Steakhouse?!

Trumpster

Carnival caters to novice cruisers and that is a very diverse market.

It does not mean parents can be irresponsible. They need to leave their poor parenting skills at the dock.

And then again, most parents know if they're kids can handle a setting like that.

And then again, most parents know if they're kids can handle a setting like that.

Most parents believetheir kids can handle a setting like that, because they are around their children every day. It is easier to tune out things that you are used to. Parents might think clanging the silverware on the table is cute, or playing peek-a-boo with their napkin is cute or crying for another drink of soda is normal behavior, but those around who were hoping for an intimate, quiet dinner probably don't think those kids are "handling it" as well as the parents believe it.

We can save our money and order a Steakhouse steak in the dining room - much cheaper for us. I will NOT pay $35 per person to put up with small children.

Aren't there children in the MDR? We will continue to enjoy our special nights in the steakhouse and not let this new menu affect that. We generally travel in November when most kids are in school One cruise there were 21 kids on board. The only one we ever saw was in Roatan when a downpour forced us off the beach and we chatted with the mother.

Carnival must have found it's not profitable as is.

If they can fill it with young families, so be it. I have 7 grandchildren and have never darkened the door of Chuck E Cheese. Pretty sure they don't miss me, and if Carnival can fill the steakhouse with young kids they won't miss me either.

Carnival must have found it's not profitable as is.

If they can fill it with young families, so be it. I have 7 grandchildren and have never darkened the door of Chuck E Cheese. Pretty sure they don't miss me, and if Carnival can fill the steakhouse with young kids they won't miss me either.

Chuck E Cheese is a riot. You've really missed out.

A lot of child haters here. Makes you wonder if they just started life as a grumpy old fart, at birth.

Ask my 9 children and 24 grandchildren if I'm a "child hater" and see what they say.

Just because I would like the opportunity to dine in a child-free environment if I so choose doesn't make me (or anyone else) a "child-hater".

These kinds of pot-shots are usually tossed out by the liberal parents who think their child flipping tater tots at neighboring diners is adorable.

A lot of child haters here. Makes you wonder if they just started life as a grumpy old fart, at birth.

I have no problem with kids....my issue really is with self indulgent, entitled parents who don't have a clue :D

Edited by First and Ten

Just spent a wonderful weekend with my 4 grandchildren aged 1,3,5 and 7. thoroughly enjoyed their energy and boisterousness. Would I take them to the steak house no. Sorry, but I am still old fashioned enough to believe that there are places that children don't belong.

Last cruise DH were celebrating out 36th anniversary at the steakhouse. Food, service and atmosphere were great. I highly doubt it would be as nice if a lot of kids were present. Sorry, just my opinion.

Ask my 9 children and 24 grandchildren if I'm a "child hater" and see what they say.

Just because I would like the opportunity to dine in a child-free environment if I so choose doesn't make me (or anyone else) a "child-hater".

These kinds of pot-shots are usually tossed out by the liberal parents who think their child flipping tater tots at neighboring diners is adorable.

Then there's others who just hate everything and everybody in general and don't limit it to just children. ;)

Sorry but I never realized that it was adults only.. I just figured that parents were not going to spring for $35 so that kids can mess over a steakhouse meal. In fact, we took my 3 year old to the steakhouse on the Pride back in February. What happened was he just ate off of his mother's and grandmother's plate. This was a smart move by Carnival because now at least they will get $10 as opposed to nothing for him being there. :cool:

Sorry but I never realized that it was adults only.. I just figured that parents were not going to spring for $35 so that kids can mess over a steakhouse meal. In fact, we took my 3 year old to the steakhouse on the Pride back in February. What happened was he just ate off of his mother's and grandmother's plate. This was a smart move by Carnival because now at least they will get $10 as opposed to nothing for him being there. :cool:

It has NEVER been adults only - it's just that most people aren't willing to pony up $35 for kids to eat.

We've eaten at the steakhouse twice on 2 different ships. The first time, at a table for two in the middle of the aisle - servers were traveling past our table on both sides the entire night we were there. Not a lot of room in between the tables either, so it seemed like they were skimming our table each way past us.

The second time, there was a large family being very loud and boisterous. They were telling off color jokes (which wouldn't bother me, except we didn't need to hear them that loudly). Near the end of their dinner, banging their forks on the table anticipating dessert. One of the men went into the restroom and appeared back with toilet paper trailing out the back of his pants (on purpose). They had two kids with them that I would say were under 10 or so - they were the best behaved humans at the table.

We won't go back. Food is great - atmosphere has missed 2 out of 2 times.

We are just off the Pride where we enjoyed dinner at David's Steakhouse as a family. This included our almost 11 year old son. He was offered the kids menu and declined and ordered off the standard menu. We paid $35.00 for him. He has a more refined palate than many adults and the leftovers from his huge "cowboy" steak were put to a good use. He loved his fancy starters and dessert sampler. He is easily able to sit through a 2 1\2 hour meal without being unruly, loud, annoying or fidgeting . This isn't because he is my '"special snowflake" or I have learned to tune his annoying noises out it's because he knows how to behave in that environment and believe it or not he loves fine dining. Just because it's Carnival most parents still have good enough judgement to know if their kids can handle that quiet refined atmosphere. It is a beautiful restaurant.

I am sure a lot of cruisers have well behaved children that would be a delight in the steakhouse but there are also cruisers who think their children are well behaved but in reality they are not so I will pass on the steakhouse from now on .

Royal Caribbean has had a childs price/childs menu policy in their specialty restaurants for a few years now and all the same comments were posted there when it came to be; I've yet to read any horror stories about unruly kids disrupting any specialty meals. If it happens, ask the restaurant manager to handle it. Not every kid is the Devil. Some can be! But many are not. So just relax...Carnivals a family line, they want to sell stuff to families.

If the restaurant were packed with adults every night do you think they'd be trying to sell space at a reduced rate?

For those of you that have been in the steakhouse or more importantly cancelled a reservation, can you cancel without being charged or is there a cut off time where you have time keep your reservation or still be charged? I know that is the case for the spa, for example.

Just wondering because we plan to visit the steakhouse for the first time this Summer on the Magic. I know it's never been kid free but I was planning on making later reservations while our kids are in camp. If I walk in and see a bunch of kids, I'm not staying. They can have at it. Just want to know if we would still be charged at that point. Thanks.