Grand cayman

Hi Ya'll

My Dad passed away in March and my Mom has expressed a desire to "go on a cruise"

After lots of back in forth...Liberty Allure, Oasis and Freedom...I think I have her committed to Freedom.

Now, she is a fairly active late 80's individual but does need O2 time to time...I guess living in Colorado as she does can do that.

Me living here in sonny Florida I have had the opportunity to sail on the Liberty x 2 (before her move) Enchantment x2 and Brilliance x1. So I kinda know what's out there.

She has traveled extensively with my Dad all over the world, but the one spot they missed was GRAND CAYMAN.

Want to show her the "suite experience " on a ship.

Can anyone give me EZ DUZ IT ideas for a visit to Grand Cayman while on the FREEDOM ?

I would look for an island tour. You can probably find a reputable company doing inexpensive private tours on a place like Trip Advisor. I did this in Cozumel and it was great because we could decide where we wanted to go without having to worry about a set schedule or what others wanted to do.

There are some very nice ship sponsored bus tours the include highlights of the island. They are fairly short, maybe 3 hours, and include a few stops for people of get off the bus for a little while, then get back on and continue the tour. She might enjoy something like that.

Check the Royal Caribbean website for your sailing. Look for the Grand Cayman shore excursions for details.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Hi Ya'll

Can anyone give me EZ DUZ IT ideas for a visit to Grand Cayman while on the FREEDOM ?

Sorry for your loss. We are doing the Freedom for the first time late June and have worked with Shirley at Cayman Routes for an island tour. Working with her pre-cruise has been wonderful, I can make sure to let you know how it was when we return. If you google Cayman Routes she has a website, a facebook page and is on TripAdvisor.

Hi Ya'll

Now, she is a fairly active late 80's individual but does need O2 time to time...I guess living in Colorado as she does can do that.

She might not need O2 at sea level - Colorado folks have a higher red blood count. But make sure you either arrange for tanks or a concentrator. See the disable board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

If she is active enough she might like one of the stingray tours, maybe combined with a visit to the turtle farm. There are some boats that are very easy to get in and out of the water from if she can handle some steps. http://www.marinelandtours.com/deluxe_stingary_city_sandbar.php

Then the Stingrays are a must. Many tour include a two snorkel stop then the stingrays. We have our favorite tour operator, others have theirs. Note, using a local will mean saving a few dollars but also MUCH smaller crowds.

Captain Marvin was the gentleman that started the whole thing. And we use his company frequently.

We are in our 60's and we did Stingray City through the ship and just loved it!! The water at the sandbar where the stingrays are is just unbelievably gorgeous.

The boat they took us out on had a back that drops down so you actually walk down steps to get into the water. Very nice feature when you are fluffy like me. :eek:

This excursion does only the stingrays but there is also one that includes snorkeling...

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Hay GTO...now that sounds like a plan.

Side bar....I was one of the posters when LOS had the Oscar Oscar oscar....and the Miami underwater repair cuties...our own Chippendale show...and so noted folk walking off the ship and some drug arrests prior to our 7 hour delay leaving PE...last year