Acropolis-- hike up?

NatalieWood

Could anyone give me an idea of how long/tough the walk is up to the Acropolis? Obviously I know people move at different rates [emoji6], but I'm just trying to figure out our strategy as we are going in July and I know it is going to be hot and crowded.

Thanks!

For anyone in even average shape, the walk up to the Acropolis really isn't tough. I wouldn't call it a hike. The bigger danger is the slippery steps and the crowds.

Yes it will be hot, but if you go first thing in the morning, it's bearable.

I've been there four times, and would you believe I couldn't really tell you how long it takes. The first time, a bus tour took us partway up (to the ticket gate) so we didn't walk the full way from the street level. The second time, I took the long (back) way up and paused frequently to look at things and take photos. The third time I went up like a rocket in order to be (practically) the first person inside -- arriving early enough to watch the soldiers go in and raise the large flag that flies off the back of the Acropolis. The fourth time, I was talking to someone nearly all the way up....

Anyway, after four times, it's never been the walk I remembered, so I have to say it's not that tough. ;)

Maybe at a steady pace it would take 20 minutes?

We think the term "hike" overstates the situation. Think of it as a long walk through a hilly park where you are on well-paved walkways which do have some benches...for those that want to take a break. As long as your are mobile, it is just a matter of taking your time and enjoying the experience (not to mention a little exercise). That being said, the heat can be a problem during the summer. So you might want to be flexible and make your decision on the day you are visiting. If it is really hot/humid then you might decide to skip the long walk and just visit the new Acropolis Museum (which is very well done).

Hank

For anyone in even average shape, the walk up to the Acropolis really isn't tough. I wouldn't call it a hike. The bigger danger is the slippery steps and the crowds.

Yes it will be hot, but if you go first thing in the morning, it's bearable.

I've been there four times, and would you believe I couldn't really tell you how long it takes. The first time, a bus tour took us partway up (to the ticket gate) so we didn't walk the full way from the street level. The second time, I took the long (back) way up and paused frequently to look at things and take photos. The third time I went up like a rocket in order to be (practically) the first person inside -- arriving early enough to watch the soldiers go in and raise the large flag that flies off the back of the Acropolis. The fourth time, I was talking to someone nearly all the way up....

Anyway, after four times, it's never been the walk I remembered, so I have to say it's not that tough. ;)

Maybe at a steady pace it would take 20 minutes?

We will also be there in July. I wanted to do an early arrival. What time would you suggest arriving to the Acropolis at in order to be able to see the soldiers/raising of the flag? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we were there we saw the soldiers unload from their truck and marched through the entrance. The gates opened just afterward (about 20 people waiting). We walked up nonstop so we could takes pics first then stop and take it all all once the crowds started up. We had plenty of time of course. We saw the flag going up as we reached the Parthenon. It was quite mad coming down against the herds :eek:

When we were there we saw the soldiers unload from their truck and marched through the entrance. The gates opened just afterward (about 20 people waiting). We walked up nonstop so we could takes pics first then stop and take it all all once the crowds started up. We had plenty of time of course. We saw the flag going up as we reached the Parthenon. It was quite mad coming down against the herds :eek:

What time was this at?

I checked the time stamp on my photos I had taken of the soldiers getting out of the truck and marching through the gate and it says 7:48am. The gates opened at 8am. We leisurely walked up to the top and the photos I have showing the flag going up says 8:07am. They march slower than you would be walking up so there is some time to catch up to them.

I checked the time stamp on my photos I had taken of the soldiers getting out of the truck and marching through the gate and it says 7:48am. The gates opened at 8am. We leisurely walked up to the top and the photos I have showing the flag going up says 8:07am. They march slower than you would be walking up so there is some time to catch up to them.

Thank you!!

If you are there a few minutes before opening (let's say 10) you should be able to see the raising of the flag and take advantage of the absence of crowds -- for a while.

Ok thanks, I'll make sure to check the opening time and will plan to get there a few min earlier like u suggested.

Hi

maybe you are faster if you take the suburb train (Metro) from Piräus to downtown Athens.

It is very cheap, easy and you avoid the traffic jam.

There is just one line and - while Piräus is the last station - you cannot take the wrong train.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! That helps. We are thinking of taking a taxi from the port so we can get there when it opens... Then hit the museum for some more info and some AC!

At the port take the X80 express bus and get off at the Museum. You can buy your ticket there and then enter Acropolis. The bus is at a cost of 4 Euros each for a 24 hour pass. You purchase your bus ticket on the bus, cash Euros. If I am recalling correctly I believe it is approximately a 20 drive, it has very few stops and that is why it is call "express".

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

The X80 is 4.50 or 4.80 euros now and it's a day pass so it's your ticket back to the ship + you can use metro to get up to the archaeology museum. Head towards the main gate and get your ticket there since that is where the flag enters.