Half Moon Cay...Cabanas

Tminish

First time on Carnival so this will be my first time going to HMC...

If you've ever rented the cabanas how did you like them? Are they worth it?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Been to HMC 4 times. Absolutely loved it and having the cabana (3 times) was great. I'd probably get a cabana again if we ever go back.

Worth is a very subjective term as it really depends on your money situation. Knowing that there are no other expenses for us while on HMC helps but it's really nice having your own little get away. We always try to get as high a number (far away from the crowds as possible).

Thank you.

We were there just last week (May 23). There were four of us. Me. my wife, our daughter and a niece (all adults). We rented a cabana, and I was able to get #11. Good location. Just a short walk to the restrooms. The beach gets very crowded near the area where you come in on the tender boat. Unless someone has a cabana, most people don't tend to wander too far down the beach. The further you are away from cabanas # 1 - # 5, the less crowded the beach is. For the four of us, it was definitely worth. Not sure I'd rent one if it was just me and the wife. Go to Youtube and look at the videos posted for HMC cabanas. If you really want one, reserve it right away. They sell out quickly. You can't specify which one you want until you board the ship. On Embarkation Day, try to board as soon as possible and head straight to the Excursions Desk to pick out your cabana. If you want to get away from the crowd, try to get one between numbers 10 - 15.

Edited by beachbum53

We've been to HMC twice and have rented a cabana both times (at the lower prices).

We are going again in November and have decided not to rent one this trip--the current price is just too much for the two of us.

If we were with another couple and could split the costs, we definitely would do it.

The 'worth" is entirely up to you.

We were gifted a cabana once, it was great but to be honest if I had to pay $280.00 for about 6 hours I would not buy it.

There are several You Tube videos that you can check out.

Good grief, are they really $280 now?! When we had one a few years ago I think it was just $220.

We had a cabana our first trip to HMC but they were sold out on our second trip and we just rented a clamshell. Boy, did I miss the cabana! I think we had cabana 12, which was a very quiet location. DH loved it because he's not a beach person - he spent about 10 minutes in the ocean with me then spent the rest of the time in the cabana. I loved it because I spent a lot of time in the water, with one of the float mats that comes with the cabana, and since DH had a place to relax and snacks, we spent all day at the beach. Our second trip to HMC we only spent a couple of hours on the beach, didn't even stay for the BBQ lunch. And I had a great place to go to when I wanted a break from the water. It was just the two of us then, and definitely worth it at the time. With a price tag of $280, I might have to think about it for just the two of us, but now that we are cruising with our two girls, I'd get one at that price for the four of us, definitely. I absolutely love the cabanas.

Edited by minerva78

I don't remember the # we had it was way down towards the end but I don't think it was quite on the end. I would absolutely rent one again even for the 2 of us, it was just us last time. It was worth it to us for the privacy and relaxation. We had no urge to take part in the partying and crowds that were going on further up the beach, having the chips, salsa and drinks delivered was great.

Since it's set up for 4 we invited a couple we met on board to use it too if they wanted and let their 2 teen boys check out the snorkel equipment since we had no plans on using it. Everyone had a great time. HMC is my favorite port and a cabana will always be on my must have list. That's not to say I won't go if they are sold out but it won't be the same relaxing port without one.

My wife and I had Cabana #11 on our cruise last month and found it to be worth every penny!

Here's a view from Cabana 11

12924413_10153371893826816_8973647709124383331_n.jpg?oh=e8123cb4120d5c37586d5474215e5139&oe=57D6C0FE

Ah, I remember that beautiful view. :D. It makes me want to head back to HMC really soon! Definitely my favorite beach.

Thank you.

I had #9 last year and loved the location

My one and only trip to HMC was last year. We spent just about every single minute in the water. We brought blow up floats from home and floated around talking to people. For me, HMC is a cheap beach day.

Maybe it's like a balcony cabin where you don't know what you're missing until you try it.

The cabanas are nice and we were happy with ours. It's nice to have cushioned lounge chairs, a fresh water shower, floaties, mister, soda/water, snacks and shade. We had 10 and the bathrooms were really close. It can get intense sun so a place to get out of the sun is a must.

The cabanas are nice and we were happy with ours. It's nice to have cushioned lounge chairs, a fresh water shower, floaties, mister, soda/water, snacks and shade. We had 10 and the bathrooms were really close. It can get intense sun so a place to get out of the sun is a must.

Does Carnival sell them all before the cruise or do they save some to sell on the cruise? They show sold out on line-just wondering...

Does Carnival sell them all before the cruise or do they save some to sell on the cruise? They show sold out on line-just wondering...

There are only 15 cabanas, and, I believe, four villas. Carnival does not hold any back to rent out. It's all done on line. There is a chance that someone could cancel their reservation, so periodically check the HMC excursions to see if one becomes available. And, on Embarkation Day, go to the Excursions Desk immediately after boarding to see if one is available. Maybe you'll get lucky. ;)

On my first trip to HMC last year, all the cabanas were gone when I checked for them. But, there were several Villas left. So I booked one of those for over $500 even though there was just the two of us. I then went to every roll call for the cruise that I could find and offered the 6 remaining spots to whoever wanted them for a price of 1/8 th of the cabana's cost. I had the place filled within 3 days of the posting (6 months before the cruise). No money was required or exchanged until we were on the ship. That way if people wanted to drop out there was no hassle with returning money and if we got additional family members to come on the cruise with us we could make adjustments to the arrangements without a money hassle. This was explained in my messages on the roll calls. All worked out really well and we met some really nice people.

This approach is really workable because if you get no takers for the other spots, you can enjoy it yourself, make the same offer to people once on the ship, or you can cancel the villa at the last minute before the cruise.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

There are only 15 cabanas, and, I believe, four villas. Carnival does not hold any back to rent out. It's all done on line. There is a chance that someone could cancel their reservation, so periodically check the HMC excursions to see if one becomes available. And, on Embarkation Day, go to the Excursions Desk immediately after boarding to see if one is available. Maybe you'll get lucky. ;)

Thanks for then advice everyone!

Good grief, are they really $280 now?! When we had one a few years ago I think it was just $220.

We had a cabana our first trip to HMC but they were sold out on our second trip and we just rented a clamshell. Boy, did I miss the cabana! I think we had cabana 12, which was a very quiet location. DH loved it because he's not a beach person - he spent about 10 minutes in the ocean with me then spent the rest of the time in the cabana. I loved it because I spent a lot of time in the water, with one of the float mats that comes with the cabana, and since DH had a place to relax and snacks, we spent all day at the beach. Our second trip to HMC we only spent a couple of hours on the beach, didn't even stay for the BBQ lunch. And I had a great place to go to when I wanted a break from the water. It was just the two of us then, and definitely worth it at the time. With a price tag of $280, I might have to think about it for just the two of us, but now that we are cruising with our two girls, I'd get one at that price for the four of us, definitely. I absolutely love the cabanas.

I just bought cabanas for our November, 2016 cruise and our May, 2017 cruise yesterday and they cost $229.99. Have no idea why anyone would think they are $280.

I just bought cabanas for our November, 2016 cruise and our May, 2017 cruise yesterday and they cost $229.99. Have no idea why anyone would think they are $280.

Maybe it depends on how long your cruise is, or when you take it...Mine says $279.99 for when we are in HMC in October.

I scored a package deal right after I booked on the cabana and an excursion in Nassau. For my cruise coming up in Sept..

We had booked a cabana on our cruise last Feb, and loved it. Just the two of us, we had cabana 10.. Prime location.

Well worth it to us, I loved the snacks, a short walk to the restroom. The sand was wonderful.

HMC is truly a wonderful place to just "beach it".

Edited by dulcimergirl

• 1 month later...

I have a cabana booked for our cruise coming up in a little over a week ... Soon excited!

For those that have already had a cabana, can you please tell me how much shade (just a little, 1/2 day or most of the day) you had and which cabana you had?

We are taking my elderly dad and he isn't a beach person, but loves to people watch ... He has to stay out of the sun due to skin cancer and adding that he needs to stay out of the direct heat as he is a senior ... I want to find the best cabana for him ... I heard #6 is shaded nicely, but was hoping for something a little further away from the crowds.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.... Pictures would be great too :)

Thank you,

Marianne

The cabanas are great. Have it rented again for our trip next month. They are air conditioned and they provide fruit and drinks, which is nice. My kids use the snorkel gear, while I lounge around and read. I'm very fair skinned, so I can't be in the sun at all. They even have an outdoor shower to rinse off in. We had the cabana next to that pirate ship bar. For us, that was a great location. Got to see some of the games and contest they held there. Very entertaining, if you're into people watching. [emoji12]. Once you're past that particular bar, the crowds tend to thin out, I think it starts at #6.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mibarron

On my first trip to HMC last year, all the cabanas were gone when I checked for them. But, there were several Villas left. So I booked one of those for over $500 even though there was just the two of us. I then went to every roll call for the cruise that I could find and offered the 6 remaining spots to whoever wanted them for a price of 1/8 th of the cabana's cost. I had the place filled within 3 days of the posting (6 months before the cruise). No money was required or exchanged until we were on the ship. That way if people wanted to drop out there was no hassle with returning money and if we got additional family members to come on the cruise with us we could make adjustments to the arrangements without a money hassle. This was explained in my messages on the roll calls. All worked out really well and we met some really nice people.

This approach is really workable because if you get no takers for the other spots, you can enjoy it yourself, make the same offer to people once on the ship, or you can cancel the villa at the last minute before the cruise.

I did the same thing with the Oasis....we started with only 6 people when I reserved it, and asked on our roll call if anyone want to join us . Met some GREAT friends by doing this!

The cabanas are great. Have it rented again for our trip next month. They are air conditioned and they provide fruit and drinks, which is nice. My kids use the snorkel gear, while I lounge around and read. I'm very fair skinned, so I can't be in the sun at all. They even have an outdoor shower to rinse off in. We had the cabana next to that pirate ship bar. For us, that was a great location. Got to see some of the games and contest they held there. Very entertaining, if you're into people watching. [emoji12]. Once you're past that particular bar, the crowds tend to thin out, I think it starts at #6.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you .... yes, definitely want higher than the bar --- don't really want to see all of that action and the noise probably will be a bit much for dad.