An important question about TV channels!!

kctwinmommy

LOL! OK, so probably not that important, but trying to find out if Carnival Legend will have Fox on any TV's when we sail next month. Big baseball fan here, and my Cubs should have a major showing at the All Star game, which happens to be the day we sail. I know I've seen some of the other sports games in the past (was on a cruise when the Bears had a great season) and was able to see them in the bar. I realize it may not be in the rooms, but possibly in one of the bars.

Anyone know for sure!? I realize TV is not what most people watch on a cruise, especially in Alaska! LOL!

Thanks!

From my experiences the channels change depending on what satellite they are getting programming from. There's not a set list of channels and it could change daily. I'd set the DVR at home just in case.

One day on the Legend on our Alaskan cruise last week, the satellite signal was intermittent. We had Fox news but even that wasn't reliable. On the channels that Carnival can't get, you'll get music or a Carnival info commercial pushing their brands. The sports channel IIRC was on - but again not reliable.

Don't count on the reliability of the TV stations in your cabin. The further out you go, the less you get. (Satellite signal fade away.)

Like mentioned, record, or see if the game is on in the sports bar.

Go to sports bar on the ship, but.....GET THERE EARLY! We were on the Sunshine last September during football season, and there were only about 35-40 seats. All were full 30 minutes to game time.

You should at least scout it prior to ASG day.

If the signal is good you will get to see it in the sports bar or on a tv by a bar. During one cruise we got the internet package so we could listen to the games. We just happen to be huge Cub fans. Go Cubs Go! Enjoy your cruise.

OK thanks for the suggestions...

First off, I don't have a DVR, don't need it. I watch TV when it's on. If I miss, so be it. And especially using the DVR for sports - goofy IMO!

Secondly, it sounds like the sports bar is the place to try, so I'll look at that.

Thirdly, I realize that reception can be questionable, so I'm not counting on it. But, if I can see it, I'd like to!

Thanks everyone!

We were on the Legend last year and they did have all the local networks. However, there were times were the mountains interfered. There is only so much technology can do when you have 2000 ft mountains towering straight up on ether side of the ship(see attached pictures and you will get the idea).

The good news is when it isn't working there will be plenty of amazing things to see that you will not want to miss. I'd even go as far as saying if you choose to watch a game over seeing this, this you might have booked the wrong cruise.

Most the time we left our TV on the forward looking bridge camera with the volume turned all the way up so we could hear the naturalist when she came over the PA. We spent hours sitting on our extended aft balcony and I used a bungee cord to keep the door open so we could hear the TV.

Back to TV channels, if you cruised before you probably already know this, but the local channels will be local somewhere but nowhere near you. On our first cruise we were on the Conquest and we were docked in the sunny 90 degree Montego Bay while we were watching the local morning newscast for a station in Denver. They were being hit by an unusually bad blizzard and record lows temperatures. It was funny listening to them telling everyone to stay home and off the roads while we were sitting there getting ready to go to the beach.

DSC_0726.jpg.4f9ba8fdbbca2bfc8c5c9682eed45011.jpg

DSC_0748.jpg.44b0eb83f5b3ea19113eedc0bf08b5ed.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg.04297d96e2d219c9d7b9bdc31fbfb43c.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg.0e6a60f482424e1ff2f80fc2760a8e63.jpg

Edited by wo5m

Bring a laptop and get an internet package.

I don't know about that one. I've bought the most expensive internet package my last two cruises and I haven't been able to stream video yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that one. I've bought the most expensive internet package my last two cruises and I haven't been able to stream video yet.

That and the ships Satellite Internet can't get through the mountains any better than the TV signal. However, once you get to one of the Alaskan ports you can use your phone to stream it. I have At&t and I had very good LTE coverage in each port and since your still in the US(believe it or not, some people on the ship didn't understand this) there is no roaming. I just had to remember to turn off the phone once we left port so I didn't end up on the ships expensive cellphone system.

That and the ships Satellite Internet can't get through the mountains any better than the TV signal. However, once you get to one of the Alaskan ports you can use your phone to stream it. I have At&t and I had very good LTE coverage in each port and since your still in the US(believe it or not, some people on the ship didn't understand this) there is no roaming. I just had to remember to turn off the phone once we left port so I didn't end up on the ships expensive cellphone system.

Gotcha. I only know about sailing out of New Orleans to Mexico. You leave New Orleans at 4pm and you can use AT&T till about 11 or 12. Then you have to go on the ship's internet until around 11pm the last night of the cruise. Last September I could stream audio but not video on the ship's premium internet plan. In February no video and I could only stream audio after like midnight...so I found a station on the TuneIn radio app that streamed early morning audio replays of the cable news shows I like to watch and let it record while I slept.

The good news is when it isn't working there will be plenty of amazing things to see that you will not want to miss. I'd even go as far as saying if you choose to watch a game over seeing this, this you might have booked the wrong cruise.

Well... I'm pretty sure I'll see everything I want to see. I doubt I'll miss a ton of stuff if I watch the game for an hour or so. I mean, people go to eat, don't they?! I don't think anyone sits outside for the entire cruise.

Again, thanks to those who responded with helpful info. I just couldn't remember if they had Fox on the channels. And, as I said before, I'll probably end up in the sports bar if and when I decide to watch it for a bit. ;)

Yeah, I don't even buy the internet packages, I don't need it. This isn't something that important to buy it either. It was more of a "IF I can watch a bit, I'd love to. If not, it's not the end of the world either."

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Legend last year and they did have all the local networks. However, there were times were the mountains interfered. There is only so much technology can do when you have 2000 ft mountains towering straight up on ether side of the ship(see attached pictures and you will get the idea).

Most the time we left our TV on the forward looking bridge camera with the volume turned all the way up so we could hear the naturalist when she came over the PA. We spent hours sitting on our extended aft balcony and I used a bungee cord to keep the door open so we could hear the TV.

Back to TV channels, if you cruised before you probably already know this, but the local channels will be local somewhere but nowhere near you. On our first cruise we were on the Conquest and we were docked in the sunny 90 degree Montego Bay while we were watching the local morning newscast for a station in Denver. They were being hit by an unusually bad blizzard and record lows temperatures. It was funny listening to them telling everyone to stay home and off the roads while we were sitting there getting ready to go to the beach.

Ok I am veteran cruiser and if the tv channel and hearing PA system in cabin you save me from running to hall and open the door! Learn something here all the time. Of course Alaska may be first cruise that I want to hear the announcements (smile)

LOL! OK, so probably not that important, but trying to find out if Carnival Legend will have Fox on any TV's when we sail next month. Big baseball fan here, and my Cubs should have a major showing at the All Star game, which happens to be the day we sail. I know I've seen some of the other sports games in the past (was on a cruise when the Bears had a great season) and was able to see them in the bar. I realize it may not be in the rooms, but possibly in one of the bars.

Anyone know for sure!? I realize TV is not what most people watch on a cruise, especially in Alaska! LOL!

Thanks!

Record it at home because you never know what they pick up.