Provisioning Explorer with coffee and wine

eliana

If it is not too late I have a suggestion for Regent. One of the bones of contention regarding the current provisioning of the Regent ships is the poor quality of the coffee using Illy espresso, that tastes bitter and is not even suitable for most of the coffee making machines that are used in the dining rooms and bars. There is also some criticism concerning the complimentary wines. Before making the bulk orders for the Explorer why not arrange tastings of both coffee and wine among past customers (say gold and above) in a few venues where a lot of these customers live.

Edited by eliana

If my memory serves me correctly they have done "Coffee Tasting" among passenger is the past.

I agree that poured coffee is generally too bitter or strong or old or all three. And the complaints continue. I think this is more a personal preference thing. This issue has been going on for many years and I guess that there are not enough complaint for Regent to act on it.

j

Talking to travelers who have cruised on both Regent and Oceania......for some reason the consensus is that Oceania's coffee is far superior. Hmmmmm...same parent company...wonder why the coffee product is different....or maybe just their perception? I have not personally sailed on O so cannot agree or refute.

Talking to travelers who have cruised on both Regent and Oceania......for some reason the consensus is that Oceania's coffee is far superior. Hmmmmm...same parent company...wonder why the coffee product is different....or maybe just their perception? I have not personally sailed on O so cannot agree or refute.

Regent and Oceania use the same coffee (Illy espresso). Perhaps the difference is in the preparation. It should be noted that, although Regent and Oceania have the same parent company, the provisioning is not necessarily the same. The wine on Oceania, for instance, on the list included for those purchasing a "package" is not as good nor are there are many choices as on Regent. Except in specialty restaurants, I do not feel that the food quality is as good on Oceania as on Regent .

While this is definitely not my area of expertise, I would imagine that Regent, Oceania and NCL use the same company but get different grades/quality. Although restaurant provisioning on land is not necessarily the same as for cruise ships, there is one major company that provides food for most restaurants we regularly visit. The owners have explained the grade/quality differences to us. We can special order "prime steak" from a restaurant that typically carries "choice" . It is all in how much you (or the restaurant or cruise line) is willing to pay. It makes sense that more money is spent on food for Regent than for Oceania and more for Oceania than for NCL.

No More Jackaroo Chardonnay.

Embarrassing for Australians on board when people think it is representing Australian wine. The label name should give a clue to the way they market very ordinary wine. I'm surprised Regent fell for it.

While I agree about some of the wine choices that we don't want to see, I doubt if Regent will take advice from posters on CC since we supposedly represent only 5% of their total passengers. IMO, your best way of communicating with Regent is to fill out the questionnaire when you are on board. Those questionnaires go to corporate in Miami where they are read and paid attention to.

Just my 2 cents:)

I understand but would like to express my/our opinion. The coffee I agree with other comments but find the coffee from the automatic machines to be OK.

Wine well that's another subject ! Totally agree that selection of included Chardonnay is very bad!!!!! Jackaroo Chardonnay being case in point! We have brought some wine aboard that we prefer, but it gets a little heavy!

I don't want to be totally negative so if anyone at Regent is reading this a couple of suggestions. First Chardonnay should not be OLD and yellow! We are not " connie sewers" but a couple of suggestions which are not over priced in our opinion Kendall Jackson, La Crema Chardonnay are for us very good.

Edited by captjohn

No More Jackaroo Chardonnay.

Embarrassing for Australians on board when people think it is representing Australian wine. The label name should give a clue to the way they market very ordinary wine. I'm surprised Regent fell for it.

HAHAHHAHHAHA!!!!!!

I hate that crap too!!!! What can you expect from a wine under $10.

I don't expect a wine spectator 95+ rated Chardonnay, but you can find a decent chardonnay for $15-20. Especially buying in the bulk quantities that NCLH is buying.

Please Regent, none of that Backhouse pinot noir.

I don't know if that is the same one I had at a bar one night, but I had to spit it back in the glass it was soooooo nasty. The bartender and I had a laugh over it, but my god it was awful.

I thought it was either corked or the bartender playing a joke with me by putting something in the wine.

Re the coffee taste and like or dislike of, could the water being used have any impact on the brew/taste?. I enjoy a good strongish coffee and my husband is a tea drinker, he brings his own tea bags by the way for the cabin. But I just wondered if the water onboard being used could give the coffee a different taste?:confused: Jean.

I doubt that it's the water. We've noticed the poor coffee on different Regent ships, on the same ship on different cruise, and at different venues on the same cruise.

Edited by eliana

Re the coffee taste and like or dislike of, could the water being used have any impact on the brew/taste?. I enjoy a good strongish coffee and my husband is a tea drinker, he brings his own tea bags by the way for the cabin. But I just wondered if the water onboard being used could give the coffee a different taste?:confused: Jean.

I think that the water has a lot to do with it. Regent, like all ships, when possible, bunkers water from local ports. Many times, if not from a reliable source they chlorinate the water heavily. This make everything take bad, including ice, coffee and tea. They can only store about 2-3 days worth of water, so after that they make the water from the sea which is very pure with no so much chlorine.

Next time when in port and you see the blue hose going from the dock into the ship, that is the local water. It is far cheaper to chlorinate the local water than it is to make it on the ship from sea water.

j

I think that the water has a lot to do with it. Regent, like all ships, when possible, bunkers water from local ports. Many times, if not from a reliable source they chlorinate the water heavily. This make everything take bad, including ice, coffee and tea. They can only store about 2-3 days worth of water, so after that they make the water from the sea which is very pure with no so much chlorine.

Next time when in port and you see the blue hose going from the dock into the ship, that is the local water. It is far cheaper to chlorinate the local water than it is to make it on the ship from sea water.

j

I find your explanation quite interesting but do have a question. Given what you have said, why do you think the coffee on Oceania is "supposedly" better than on Regent given the fact that they use the same beans and water sources?

IMO, it could be simply the different "tastes" of passengers. While I gave up coffee a few years ago, I do drink it on occasion. I find Starbucks way too strong and "coffee shop" coffee too weak. Regent's coffee in the Coffee Connection is fine - especially when you order a French Coffee (perhaps the alcohol improves the taste?)

j

I do think the water can be making the taste different. We have relatively soft water here in Scotland, so our tea and coffee may taste different to some palates am sure. Thanks, Jean

If it is the water, or for that matter the particular coffee beans, it is a mystery why a number of posters have posted that the coffee on the Oceania is so much better. Yet Regent and Oceania apparently use the same coffee - Illy Espresso and presumably treat water in the same way. Maybe Regent use the dark roast and Oceania the medium roast, or maybe a barrista can come up with other ideas.

Edited by eliana

A lot depends on who the barista is. At coffe connection on our November/ December cruise (30 days) we had some good coffee and some not so good. The difference - who made it.

I find your explanation quite interesting but do have a question. Given what you have said, why do you think the coffee on Oceania is "supposedly" better than on Regent given the fact that they use the same beans and water sources?......

Good question and I don't know the real answer. I have not sailed Oceania.

But I have seen this on other ships, usually the smaller one, under 700 passengers. Maybe the newer Oceania ship have larger bunkers and can store more water from their home port. Or they may have better or more efficient sea water to fresh water systems.

Most ships rely on steam evaporators. With this process there is an economy of scale; the larger the system (size of ship) the the cheaper to make water. I think also due to the age of the whole system, from pipes to coffee makers. I think mineral crud build up. Let face it Regent ships now have a lot of years on their system. I'll have to ask one of ship engineers on my next voyage.

I am not a coffee connoisseur. But even with tea, I seem to notice the water is off tasting after some ports. Even the ice seems to have too much chlorine.

j