Cruise With No Passport

[i IF ONE FEELS THE NEeD d to parsse thewhole idea ov er a masweive $75 for a passport, maybe that c ruiser should save a littlle longerbefore traveling. as they likely should not b e stretching gtheir tight b udget for a cuise at that point in gtheir lives, c areers. We can't alway have what we wnat when we want itl. WSometime we have to wait until we can aford it with less strain on the budjgbe. i DON'T 'BUY' GTHATT THRE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE OUGT TGHERE THAT DON'gFET a [PASSPORT dued to gth $75 COST FOR THEMSELVESS but are tuly in a position to grravel. D Some of theser forums aregettting to the abvsurd, IMO wheer every other word, statement seems to require parsin.g. fun o tyhese forums quickly leaves when one reads thread after thread weree theer is always a contradigtion; or requrest for clarifaica tion over anyalysis of the most simple concepts. Seeing I know these forums so well, I'll save the nesxt conradition and head it offf with,,,,, I get it some families are 8 people and all th e ksid,k parents,bgrandparents don'tt havd passports and oh my, what a waste to get passports when we might never travel agfain. really?

here we post expressions of our opinions and observations. asnd the foregoing is wehat I observed far too often lately. No every post has to bre picked apaart and congradicted. IMO

If passports were required for the travel being undertaken than yes, one would need to save longer to make it happen. Since they are not required one must determine are they comfortable cruising without one. If the answer is yes then it shouldn't really matter to anyone else since it has no affect on them at all. I personally don't like to spend money that I don't have to spend, especially on something that comes with an expiration date. Passports haven't been $75 for quite some time, ours cost $300 for the two of us. Yes, some people may not travel out of the country after that first cruise or they may only ever travel on closed looped cruises. Not everyone travels the same way that you do.

This converfssation has degenerated to ridiculous aed. I am tired aand bored. I imavgine anyone eradin g is ofre than tired of such nonsense I am. Thjre is nothing inyteresting , to b learned by congtinuing. I dislike nonesense. Have fun.

Edited by sail7seas

Sparks and Sail; you both have perfectly valid viewpoints that happen to differ by 180 degrees.

While I am personally of the travel with a passport side, my business has required me to have one for 40 years, but I also got my kids theirs at an early age, even before they actually travelled, just in case.

But I can totally relate to both sides. If you can't afford a passport that isn't required, and you personally feel safe travelling, then it is your own business, and no one else's. If you feel that the cost is marginal compared to possible contingencies, then it is also your own business if you obtain a passport.

I do agree that you two going back and forth over the same area is not helpful for the thread, but both of you have provided your personal inputs, and the OP or any reader can make up their own minds. I don't think that describing Spark's comments as "ridiculous" or "nonsense" is up to the normal standards of your posting history, Sail7.

This converfssation has degenerated to ridiculous aed. I am tired aand bored. I imavgine anyone eradin g is ofre than tired of such nonsense I am. Thjre is nothing inyteresting , to b learned by congtinuing. I dislike nonesense. Have fun.

There is no need to belittle everyone that doesn't agree with you. If you don't like the conversation or subject than 1) don't read the thread, 2) don't respond to the thread 3) don't insult people that do want to read this thread 4) stop being judgmental and insisting that your way is the only way 5)..... well, you get my point.

Probably no one cares about your opinion or that you are tired and bored but good for you. Since you feel the need to put yourself so far about others. I used to respect your comments but this alone has brought you down several pegs for me.

Edited by notentirelynormal

It is ridiculous because the other person does not agree with you and has presented valid reasons why your points are not valid for others. Passports do not cost $75. They cost $110 for the passport for $25 for the 'execution fee' That means for a family of four, it costs $540 for regular delivery of a passport. If this family never plans to travel outside the US (other than cruises), then a passport is optional in the vast majority of cases (exceptions noted by others above).

Look sail7seas, you might be a long time poster here with many posts, but just because someone does not agree with you does not mean that they are wrong.

I was absent from the forums for a couple of years and this is a never ending discussion that will never be resolved until the loophole allowing some cruise travel without a passport is closed. So my two cents:

beating-a-dead-horse_fb_1568941.jpg

Sparks and Sail; you both have perfectly valid viewpoints that happen to differ by 180 degrees.

While I am personally of the travel with a passport side, my business has required me to have one for 40 years, but I also got my kids theirs at an early age, even before they actually travelled, just in case.

But I can totally relate to both sides. If you can't afford a passport that isn't required, and you personally feel safe travelling, then it is your own business, and no one else's. If you feel that the cost is marginal compared to possible contingencies, then it is also your own business if you obtain a passport.

I do agree that you two going back and forth over the same area is not helpful for the thread, but both of you have provided your personal inputs, and the OP or any reader can make up their own minds. I don't think that describing Spark's comments as "ridiculous" or "nonsense" is up to the normal standards of your posting history, Sail7.

Whart Ii mean by nonszsnzse is each of us going back and forth saying the same thing again and again. I MO that is non sensi cal and boring, However the dikrvt i y s our bujsiness when someone fcomes here and asksthe question that was asked.

Edited by sail7seas

Whart Ii mean by nonszsnzse is each of us going back and forth saying the same thing again and again. I MO that is non sensi cal and boring, However the dikrvt i y s our bujsiness when someone fcomes here and asksthe question that was asked.

Regardless of what you were/are trying to portray - you were rude and condescending. If you find the subject boring, don't bother clicking on the thread. It is as simple as that. As a long time poster you must surely have come across the same subject repeatedly. It really can't be that shocking. We all know that newbies ask questions that has been asked before. Again, you shouldn't be surprised.

When you make a point if I feel it is appropriate I will make a counter-point. I don't do that to try to convince you of anything because I know that's not possible. I do that because I feel it is important for those making a decision to make an informed decision after looking at all sides of the issue. Yes, it is old saying the same thing over and over again but you seem to refuse to acknowledge that traveling without a passport is a viable option for some travelers for any number of reasons personal to them. That's your view and you are certainly welcome to it, but I personally don't see this issue as one that is so clear cut. People have choices in certain circumstances.

I was absent from the forums for a couple of years and this is a never ending discussion that will never be resolved until the loophole allowing some cruise travel without a passport is closed. So my two cents:

Actually I believe that the regulations contain 11 exceptions so it's more appropriate to say "loopholes";). DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise (as defined) represents a low risk to the national security and as long as nothing happens to change that determination then the exception will very likely continue.

Regardless of what you were/are trying to portray - you were rude and condescending. If you find the subject boring, don't bother clicking on the thread. It is as simple as that. As a long time poster you must surely have come across the same subject repeatedly. It really can't be that shocking. We all know that newbies ask questions that has been asked before. Again, you shouldn't be surprised.

When you make a point if I feel it is appropriate I will make a counter-point. I don't do that to try to convince you of anything because I know that's not possible. I do that because I feel it is important for those making a decision to make an informed decision after looking at all sides of the issue. Yes, it is old saying the same thing over and over again but you seem to refuse to acknowledge that traveling without a passport is a viable option for some travelers for any number of reasons personal to them. That's your view and you are certainly welcome to it, but I personally don't see this issue as one that is so clear cut. People have choices in certain circumstances.

My point is not that the question comes up, rather that when a newcomer asks it turns into an endless debate rather than an informational thread addressing the facts including the risks involved by not having a passport.

There is no need to belittle everyone that doesn't agree with you. If you don't like the conversation or subject than 1) don't read the thread, 2) don't respond to the thread 3) don't insult people that do want to read this thread 4) stop being judgmental and insisting that your way is the only way 5)..... well, you get my point.

Probably no one cares about your opinion or that you are tired and bored but good for you. Since you feel the need to put yourself so far about others. I used to respect your comments but this alone has brought you down several pegs for me.

I do not find the subject boring but when ytthe tw two of us started going back and forth, saying the same thing, it got boring for me.. I get to decide for myself when I am b ored, as does everyone here .

Edited by sail7seas

BTW (so that I don't have to read all four pages), whether you intend to stay on the ship the whole cruise or go into some or all of the ports, won't have any bearing on whether you need or don't need a passport. If there's a cruise that you need a passport, you will need it even if you swear that you don't intend to leave the ship until the last day. that's also the case for any cruise that needs a visa (say, Brazil). For those cruises, you won't be allowed to board the ship without the visa.

BTW (so that I don't have to read all four pages)' date=' whether you intend to stay on the ship the whole cruise or go into some or all of the ports, won't have any bearing on whether you need or don't need a passport. If there's a cruise that you need a passport, you will need it even if you swear that you don't intend to leave the ship until the last day. that's also the case for any cruise that needs a visa (say, Brazil). For those cruises, you won't be allowed to board the ship without the visa.[/quote']

Yess, this is accurate. You will b e denied boarding the ship if you do not have required travel documents.

Edited by sail7seas