Koningsdam or Solstice Class?

MissyF3486

Hi all --

(I also posted this on the Celebrity board, but posting here as well to maybe hear a different perspective!)

We are planning on a late summer 2017 cruise for an extended family group (ages 1 year to 60 years). We are looking to do a Med itinerary, and there are itineraries on both the Koningsdam and Equinox/Reflection/Silhouette that would fit the bill.

I am leaning towards the Koningsdam because it is brand new and also because it has an overnight in Istanbul, which was our family's first choice destination. None of the Celebrity ships go to Istanbul, though some itineraries include Kusadasi.

We have been on the Eurodam and found the food to be EXCELLENT (the foodies in the family would go back on HAL just for Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill...) but none of us have been on a Celebrity Solstice class. We've heard great things about Solstice Class ships so it is making the decision VERY difficult.

Any opinions that would help sway our decision??? Anyone been on Koningsdam and a Solstice Class ship that can compare?

Thanks so much!

Hi all --

(I also posted this on the Celebrity board, but posting here as well to maybe hear a different perspective!)

We are planning on a late summer 2017 cruise for an extended family group (ages 1 year to 60 years). We are looking to do a Med itinerary, and there are itineraries on both the Koningsdam and Equinox/Reflection/Silhouette that would fit the bill.

I am leaning towards the Koningsdam because it is brand new and also because it has an overnight in Istanbul, which was our family's first choice destination. None of the Celebrity ships go to Istanbul, though some itineraries include Kusadasi.

We have been on the Eurodam and found the food to be EXCELLENT (the foodies in the family would go back on HAL just for Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill...) but none of us have been on a Celebrity Solstice class. We've heard great things about Solstice Class ships so it is making the decision VERY difficult.

Any opinions that would help sway our decision??? Anyone been on Koningsdam and a Solstice Class ship that can compare?

Thanks so much!

I've been on both. Koningsdam and Celebrity Solstice.

First off I'll say this. We LOVED Solstice. Everything about that cruise was fantastic. The ship has beautiful very modern architecture and you would likely have a great time. The ships you are deciding between - Equinox is the "older Solstice configuration" with the glass studio up top so it would be near identical to what we did on Solstice. Silhouette has the other food venues up top, the cabanas on the grass area and some spaces on the inside that were changed and are pretty cool. Reflection is a clone of Silhouette but with another deck of staterooms, part of the Sky Observation Lounge now taken up by suites and the nightclub is a meeting room on Reflection. More than likely the next Celebrity ship we do, whenever it may be, would be Silhouette.

Koningsdam can almost be thought of as a hybrid between Eurodam and Solstice Class. The architecture of the ship itself isn't as modern but compared to other HAL ships there are more spaces to enjoy, more food and beverage options, more entertainment.

To put it simply (and if you want specific comparisons on anything let me know) I'll say this:

We got off Solstice and know we'd be happy with a Solstice Class ship again down the road. Likely Silhouette as I mention above but we would have a great time on any of them.

We got off Koningsdam completely obsessed with the ship and trying to figure out what itinerary and how soon we might be able to get right back on again. It was JUST. THAT. GOOD.

I am on koningsdam in less than 3 weeks time and my only other cruise was the equinox so will write back in 6 weeks and let you know.

Based on photos and design they appear to be quite similar.

One thing in favour of Equinox was the grass area, we loved it. But we may prefer the aft pool instead?

What is the price comparison?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

We love the Solstice-class ships and would never hesitate to cruise on one. Although we don't board the Koningsdam until November, and consequently can't make a direct comparison, I have no doubt that we will enjoy her too. Most of the negative points reported so far (library, promenade deck, etc.) are not big issues for us, although we understand how they might be for some.

As I've written before, we enjoy Celebrity and HAL equally, both having strengths and (minor) weaknesses, and were we in your shoes, would make our decision based on itinerary and price. If the prices are similar, definitely go for the one offering your preferred ports.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks so much for the feedback!

InTheWASide, it is great to hear your comparison. Also, I did not realize that there were differences between the Solstice Class ships! Thank you for breaking down the main differences between them.

Since you have been on both, are there any features on the Koningsdam that set it apart in your eyes? You said it blew you away -- how so???

Price wise, we're looking at a pretty big difference -- the least expensive balcony on Koningsdam (13 night Treasures of the Adriatic) is $3000pp with no perks. On Equinox (12 night Italy and Greek Isles) is $2500pp with a free perk (beverage package, grats, internet, OBC).

On this board I saw someone mention a HAL promo for Europe 2017 that would include beverage packaged, etc. Does anyone know about this? Assuming we missed it but would book K-dam in a heartbeat if that was the case.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the feedback!

InTheWASide, it is great to hear your comparison. Also, I did not realize that there were differences between the Solstice Class ships! Thank you for breaking down the main differences between them.

Since you have been on both, are there any features on the Koningsdam that set it apart in your eyes? You said it blew you away -- how so???

We loved the Music Walk venues (Queen's Lounge, Billboard Onboard and Lincoln Center Stage). World Stage when you see that 270 degree background feature is incredible. The Crow's Nest has a great look on this ship. More like an extended living room area. Really comfy chairs all around. The food venues were great too, especially Sel de Mer and Culinary Arts Center (they have dinner service in the evening - farm to table style)

Price wise, we're looking at a pretty big difference -- the least expensive balcony on Koningsdam (13 night Treasures of the Adriatic) is $3000pp with no perks. On Equinox (12 night Italy and Greek Isles) is $2500pp with a free perk (beverage package, grats, internet, OBC).

Is the Anniversary Sale available on that cruise? Here's a link to it on HAL's website:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/AnniversarySale?legacy=true

Might want to check it out. Keep in mind that while the price difference is a decent one there's one more day factored in as well as "Brand new ship vs 8 year old ship"

On this board I saw someone mention a HAL promo for Europe 2017 that would include beverage packaged, etc. Does anyone know about this? Assuming we missed it but would book K-dam in a heartbeat if that was the case.

That is what HAL calls a "Campaign promotion" and it's something that is only available to some people. If you didn't receive the offer you unfortunately wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. They do run those sorts of campaign promos all the time (not all work the same way though) so you never know, you might be on the next one...

Thanks again!

Replies above in red

Have been on Solstice class ships 5 times, Reflection (2)' Eqinox (2) and Solstice (1). Always have gone on aqua class. The big advantage here is separate specialty restaurant, Blu for aqua class passengers. Going on Konsingdam on 8/14/16, I hope this ship is as good as Celebrity solstice class.

We really enjoyed our cruise on Solstice. Not so much the Reflection. To me, a huge negative of the Solstice ships are that there are no (as in zero) aft elevators. No stairs either! So if your cabin is near the aft, and you want to go to say, the great bar aft of the lido, it is a very long walk.

We also really disliked taking away half of the observation lounge for high-end cabins. You sure wouldn't want one of those ships for a scenic itinerary.

I know it's hard with a large group but look at pricing for this year. About a third - half what you are seeing for next year? Wait to book and save a bundle.

Also, the sail through the Bosporus is terrific and Istanbul is incredible. Hope things settle down a little in that region as we loved Istanbul and Ephesus.

Istanbul!

We did a 12 night cruise last fall on Neiuw Amsterdam r/t Venice to several Greek ports, Kusadasi and overnight in Istanbul... although it was afternoon to afternoon, so not 2 full days. But Istanbul was amazing, our first visit there and so much to absorb. We filled out time there with tours and I'm so glad we did it becasue I don't know when we'll be able to get back. We did the 4 hr tour upon arrival, a late dinner, then an 7 1/2 hr tour the next day, lunch included. Beautiful.

Oh the ship? Our cruise was quite port intensive so the ship itself was not too important, and especially if you are looking at a balcony on either ship you'd find those rooms comparable. The rest icing on the cake for me. I'd take the itineray over the ship. Happy planning, m--

Have not been on K'dam.

We have been on several Solstice class ships. Given the choice between a Solstice class ship and a HAL ship, all things being equal, the Celebrity ship would normally win hands down. This is based upon our personal preferences and perceptions.

But...this fall we are hoping to get on K'dam. From all accounts it sounds like it would be a great fit for us. Lots of improvements/changes. Perhaps the start of a new era for HAL.

Not certain that I would pay $500 each for the delta. I suspect if you book K'dam and watch the prices, that they will either come down or you will be able to take advantage of a package deal.

Istanbul is a favourite of ours..as is Turkey. We hope to spend some time there this fall either before or after a cruise.

Edited by iancal

Hi all --

We are planning on a late summer 2017 cruise for an extended family group (ages 1 year to 60 years). We are looking to do a Med itinerary, and there are itineraries on both the Koningsdam and Equinox/Reflection/Silhouette that would fit

Thanks so much!

I have been on all Solstice class ships except the Silhouette a number of times and will be on the Koningsdam early next year so I can't make a comparison. However we have been a few times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and although we enjoyed our cruises it simply wasn't the same experience. Considering the age range for your cruise I think you might want to consider the Solstice class and if available with the same price and perks, the Reflection. You won't be sorry and I promise you will never bored.

I am looking forward to my Koningsdam cruise for something new, but also have cruises booked on the Equinox, Eclipse and Reflection in the next year and know we will have a great time on each. Oh, and I'm truly just a couple of years older than the oldest on your 2017 cruise.

Certainly you need to consider the Celebrity perks and also understand that both lines attract a more mature crowd but Holland is definitely older.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Oville

I have been on all Solstice class ships except the Silhouette a number of times and will be on the Koningsdam early next year so I can't make a comparison. However we have been a few times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and although we enjoyed our cruises it simply wasn't the same experience. Considering the age range for your cruise I think you might want to consider the Solstice class and if available with the same price and perks, the Reflection. You won't be sorry and I promise you will never bored.

I am looking forward to my Koningsdam cruise for something new, but also have cruises booked on the Equinox, Eclipse and Reflection in the next year and know we will have a great time on each. Oh, and I'm truly just a couple of years older than the oldest on your 2017 cruise.

Certainly you need to consider the Celebrity perks and also understand that both lines attract a more mature crowd but Holland is definitely older.

Hope this helps.

Can you say why specifically you think the Reflection would be the best out of all of the Solstice Class for our family group? Thanks so much!!

I have not sailed on Celebrity so can't comment on them, but having been on Koningsdam I have decided not to sail on it again. I'm pleased for HAL's sake there are fans of this new ship, we are just not among them. True, there are some nice new features on Koningsdam (e.g., the design of the World Stage, the Lincoln Center Stage, the Dutch Cafe, lovely high tea in the Queen's Lounge) but we really missed some of what we have enjoyed on other HAL ships. In particular, the changes to the Ocean Bar were a great disappointment as rather than this being a nice little club like place for drinks and a little dancing pre or post dinner with a small live band, it is now just a piano lounge with rather bland background music. The MDR felt very busy to us with too many tables looking directly into service areas (maybe just our bad luck to be seated with tables looking into busy service areas more often than not but it seems there are a lot of tables with this view). The staterooms felt smaller, the Crows Nest felt small and lacked a dance floor, and while there was some good entertainment, we didn't think it was up to HAL's standard on other sailings. The volume of music makes the Queen's Lounge and all of the shops in that area places to avoid - didn't buy a single thing in the shops this trip which is very unusual for us. And, as has been discussed far too often, the changes to the Promenade deck are unfortunate. You might love Koningsdam as some others do but I thought you should know that not all reviews are positive.

As I said earlier am about to sail K, but at that price difference I would sail X, the cabins look almost identical and the ships have the same designer, and you prefer the X itinerary.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Carnevale:

"The volume of music makes the Queen's Lounge and all of the shops in that area places to avoid"

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam TA last October and found that the volume of the blues band in the Queen's Lounge was unbearable [AND I am hard of hearing]. I could only listen to that band by sitting well outside the room and down the corridor. Of course many rave about that same group and I guarantee that their hearing will NOT be improved by that experience.

I cannot imagine how intolerable the stuffing of 3 music venues in this same general area will be........but your description is a good start to helping me think the Konigsdam is not for me either.

WHAT is HAL thinking???

This year we are doing a TA on Celebrity Equinox that we have been on before and consider superior to most HAL ships............more expensive though for the experience

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

We've been on the Solstice, the Silhouette, and the Reflection and will be on the Koningsdam in August. We've loved the Solstice class ships and did the Eastern Med on the Reflection last Summer (which included an overnight in Istanbul at the time that has been cancelled for safety reasons this Summer). Those ships are wonderful, with a preference to Silhouette (liked the mix of specialty restaurants better than the glass show on Solstice and is a half a deck smaller with a full Sky Observation lounge compared to Reflection).

My guess is that while we will really like Koningsdam, we will still like Celebrity better, especially with perks including beverage packages and if the price is better. But, Istanbul would probably make up for any difference. It's magical. I'll update if my thoughts change after the koningsdam cruise.