Quest---“Expedition” cruises----Zodiac use in summer??

GeneBK

Years back, we were excited by the news that the Quest was being modified and refitted, to permit itineraries with more “expedition” character. We immediately booked onto its inaugural season in Antarctica, and we were absolutely delighted with the experience. We had wanted to explore more remote places, but we preferred “expedition lite” on a small cruise ship rather than “expedition serious” on an even smaller, expedition ship. The Quest answered the need perfectly.

We were so delighted with the Antarctica experience that we have booked a return on Quest in December 2017.

We hoped that the Quest’s capabilities would mean at least a few expanded itineraries in the summer as well. Perhaps Northern Svalbard (polar bears!) or remote areas of Greenland. Maybe even the Northwest Passage, since the Quest is certainly as well or better suited than either Crystal Serenity or Regent Navigator, both of which are scheduled through the passage. But, so far, nothing has developed.

We followed our Antarctic cruise with a 2014 voyage on the Quest from Dover, England to Montreal, by way of Iceland and Greenland. It was a delightful cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed it; but even when we were unable to go into Ilulissat harbor due to ice, the Zodiacs remained slumbering and dreaming of Antarctica. That was understandable; there were no members of the expedition team on board.

Now, I read an article in the May issue of Travel+Leisure, describing the essentially same “Route of the Vikings” on the Quest, presumably 2015. And, in Ilulissat, there was indeed use of a Zodiac in the midst of the ice, and Robin West was aboard. Something new I was unaware of?? Was it for a small group only, or available to the entire ship?? When others read the article, it may whet their thirst for that kind of experience.

I realize their are tricky economic considerations. Expedition teams cost money, and may not be available for short periods.

But I'd like to believe where's a will, and demand, there's a way. With the Encore coming into the picture, I still hope better use will be made of the capabilities of the Quest. Silversea seems to think the niche is there, based on the plans to modify the Silver Cloud for expedition capabilities. I wonder if their “expeditions” will also be Antarctica-only, or used in other seasons as well?

Yes, Robin West is tasked to develop more expeditions and expedition-oriented activities for Seabourn. For the new kayaking activities and zodiac rides that they have implemented on non-Antarctica voyages, there will be an additional charge; I believe they are treated as optional excursions that guests can book.

This won't be the same experience as on their Antarctica journeys, where they have the time, staffing and logistical bandwidth to accommodate all the guests on the Quest on a color-coded rotational basis every day.

When we were on Odyssey in January we were told Robin West was busy working out expeditions with the zodiacs and kayaks for the Alaska cruises next year. Also in our room we found pamphlets for Alaska and in those they mentioned using kayaks and zodiacs.

Needless to say as we are suckers for a good sales pitch:D. We are signed on to do Alaska next July. Interesting though they will be using Sojourn not Quest.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Kayak and Zodiac trips are being offered (at extra cost) on the Route of the Vikings this August/September.

Kayaks: River Liffey in Dublin, followed by the Isle of Lewis (Scotland), Heimaey Island, (Iceland), Nanortalik (Greenland), Cornerbrook (Newfoundland) & Saguenay(Canada)

Zodiac tours are offered for Fingals Cave (Staffa, Scotland) Hemaey & Vigur (Iceland) Prins Christian Sund , Qaqortoq & Nanortalik (Greenland) & Saguenay (Canada)

On the Quest and there are several expedition tours scheduled. We took a great zodiac tour two days ago with the expedition crew through some of the beautiful Norwegian fjords meeting the ship three hours later as it entered the fjord. Plan on a few more before we disenbark.

Thanks....helpful. I was unaware of the optional "Seabourn Ventures"---kayak and zodiac tours. I guess we took the "Route of the Vikings" one year too early.

However, these are still not quite what I was hoping for. For the most part, they are Seabourn "shore excursions" in the usual ports common to most cruise ships. (There are a two or three exceptions in Greenland, and one, perhaps, in Norway.)

True, the Seabourn sea kayak excursions would be more convenient that the typical kayak shore excursions offered by most cruise lines, and probably with more qualified, although not local, leaders.

Similarly, Zodiac tours are mostly (exceptions noted) boat rides past local scenery and perhaps local wildlife, but again offered in common cruise ports serviced by many cruises and offering many local excursion options.

"Excursion cruises" go where other cruise ships do not go, and offer Zodiac looks into directions where docking a tender or an excursion boat is not possible. Northern Svalbard, east coast of Greenland, Northern Alaska, Hudson Bay, Northwest Passage, etc. Not practical to offer for an entire season, but I'm guessing two or three excursion offerings in succession would sell out fast (witness the response to Crystal's Northwest Passage).

Now, I read an article in the May issue of Travel+Leisure, describing the essentially same “Route of the Vikings” on the Quest, presumably 2015. And, in Ilulissat, there was indeed use of a Zodiac in the midst of the ice, and Robin West was aboard. Something new I was unaware of?? Was it for a small group only, or available to the entire ship??

The summer 2015 "Route of the Vikings" cruise had Robin West and the Expedition Team on board and the zodiacs and kayaks were used at one stop in Norway, the Faroer Islands, two stops in Iceland and four stops in Greenland. It was an amazing trip!

Supposedly, there will be expedition excursions in Alaska next year.

Anyone planning to go on those cruises? Haven't heard much action there. Maybe the prices are way too high.

My DH and I will be doing the Seaward to Vancouver in July and so will s few friends. As we like Deck 5 midship and wanted port side for viewing possibilities when on the balcony, we booked early. My TA has helped secure price drops in the past so I felt there was no downside to booking early.

Julie

The summer 2015 "Route of the Vikings" cruise had Robin West and the Expedition Team on board and the zodiacs and kayaks were used at one stop in Norway, the Faroer Islands, two stops in Iceland and four stops in Greenland. It was an amazing trip!

Did you know that you can follow the Quest Expedition Team adventures here:-

https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/

Some interesting reports and photos