Questions about freestyle dining.

shoafmom

My DH and I have done most of our cruising on RCI. One of the things we love the most is being seated with strangers and getting to know them over the course of the cruise. We have made some wonderful memories and great friends this way.

We have done one previous NCL cruise but we came with friends so we ate with them every night. Our next cruise is a 2 week Panama Canal in December.

With freestyle can we request to be seated with others? It seems like a great idea because if we all hit it off we can eat together again, but if not there is no requirement to see them again. Info please [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes; when you go to the desk if they don't ask if you would "like to share" ask if you can share. There is no rhyme nor reason to sharing, often it all depends on someone being there before you who wants to share. If you are the first couple the staff will go about the normal service with you till you are ready to order. At that point they usually will "cut off" the sharing process.

We are a couple. When we enter the dining room, we are always asked do you want to be seated with others.

We don't but you can always ask if they don't suggest it.

Yes; when you go to the desk if they don't ask if you would "like to share" ask if you can share. There is no rhyme nor reason to sharing, often it all depends on someone being there before you who wants to share. If you are the first couple the staff will go about the normal service with you till you are ready to order. At that point they usually will "cut off" the sharing process.

In 9 cruises on NCL, we have NEVER been asked at the hostess stand if we wanted to share a table. Which was fine with us because we did not want to:).

Casofilia, here is the problem with what you suggest. Let's say you tell the hostess the two of you would like to sit with others. If someone just ahead of you requests the same, then it's your lucky day. But on NCL, what are the odds. People book NCL because they don't want to share. So you tell the hostess you'd like to share. Are they going to seat you at a table for 6, or 8, and hope that another 4 to 6 people show up in short order? If not, they have tied up a larger table than necessary for the two of you which that next party of 6 or 8 could have been seated at.

What is likely to happen is that they will ask you to step to the side, or you'll be handed a pager for them to contact you when, if ever, someone else makes the same request, and THEN you will be seated. It could be a long wait.

On one of the larger ships I happened to see a sign up list in Guest Services for the MDR for those who wished to share tables. I believe it was for something like 5:30 daily. That is probably your best bet for sharing tables.

Casofilia, here is the problem with what you suggest. Let's say you tell the hostess the two of you would like to sit with others. If someone just ahead of you requests the same, then it's your lucky day. But on NCL, what are the odds. When we are asked, which is quite common especially after the first time when we might enquire, we get someone to share with about 50% of the time. People book NCL because they don't want to share. Could I suggest that this sentence could be finished with; "every night with the same people". Then I would agree with you. But I think we have only shared with the same people once. So you tell the hostess you'd like to share. Are they going to seat you at a table for 6, or 8, and hope that another 4 to 6 people show up in short order? Never; we have never been put at a table for more than 4. The question from the hostess is "would you like to share with another couple". If not, they have tied up a larger table than necessary for the two of you which that next party of 6 or 8 could have been seated at.

What is likely to happen is that they will ask you to step to the side, or you'll be handed a pager for them to contact you when, if ever, someone else makes the same request, and THEN you will be seated. It could be a long wait. Never has any of that happened to us. We are seated and the normal process is gone through, water; bread; menu. If we put our menus down indicating we are ready to order, our order is taken. Then the desk is informed and the extra cutlery and crockery removed.

On one of the larger ships I happened to see a sign up list in Guest Services for the MDR for those who wished to share tables. I believe it was for something like 5:30 daily. That is probably your best bet for sharing tables.We have never seen, nor looked for, anything like this. But we do tend to cruise on the smaller ships on longer cruises where we build up a rapport with the desk staff and servers.

I hope this clarifies what I wrote earlier. We enjoy the 2:2 (even 2:1 on rare occasions) dining experience when and if we want to and are offered the option.

Mike

We are a couple. When we enter the dining room, we are always asked do you want to be seated with others.

We don't but you can always ask if they don't suggest it.

In 9 cruises on NCL, we have NEVER been asked at the hostess stand if we wanted to share a table. Which was fine with us because we did not want to:).

We have NEVER even once been asked if we want to share, either.

We have NEVER even once been asked if we want to share, either.

We have been asked every time we cruised on the Gem, Spirit, and Star.

Could be the time. We usually arrive between 5:30 to 6:00. Maybe later on they don't have the time.

On our last two cruises (Jade in 2015, Pearl in April 2016), we were asked on nights 1-2 if we wanted to share (we always said yes). After that, the hostesses stopped asking.

Luckily, we always sat with fascinating people (at either a 4- or a 6-top). One couple was so lovely, we met them for dinner 3 other times over the course of the two weeks we were on the ship.

We have been asked if we want to share quite a few times when the wife and I go to the MDR, and have met some really nice people. As has been stated we are seated at a 4 or 6 top with one or two other couples.

Even being the antisocial person I am I have no problem with this. We have gotten some very good recommendations doing this.

On our last two cruises (Jade in 2015, Pearl in April 2016), we were asked on nights 1-2 if we wanted to share (we always said yes). After that, the hostesses stopped asking.

Luckily, we always sat with fascinating people (at either a 4- or a 6-top). One couple was so lovely, we met them for dinner 3 other times over the course of the two weeks we were on the ship.

We have been asked if we want to share quite a few times when the wife and I go to the MDR, and have met some really nice people. As has been stated we are seated at a 4 or 6 top with one or two other couples.

Even being the antisocial person I am I have no problem with this. We have gotten some very good recommendations doing this.

I wonder if it's just a matter of timing. No tables for two available at the moment, only those for 4 or 6, so they inquire if you would agree to share and hope others will join you. If everyone cooperates, it get people seated more quickly. But if tables for two are readily available, they probably do not ask. And I'm sure there are times when tables for 6 and 8 might be in short supply.

This may work out occassionally for those who want company for dinner, but I wouldn't expect to recreate a traditional same time, same table, same companions each night for dinner, on a Freestyle ship.

My cousin and I recently returned from the Gem and we were never asked if we wanted to share a table with other passengers. They always showed us to a table for 2 no matter which main dining room we ate in. We felt that this was a real negative to Free Style. If you were not with a large group, you did not have the opportunity to meet others on the sailing.

Maybe if you go when the dining rooms first open up they want to seat as many people as possible and try to fill up the larger tables first. Go later and there are many open tables, they will just seat you as you arrive at a separate table.

MARAPRINCE

My cousin and I recently returned from the Gem and we were never asked if we wanted to share a table with other passengers. They always showed us to a table for 2 no matter which main dining room we ate in. We felt that this was a real negative to Free Style. If you were not with a large group, you did not have the opportunity to meet others on the sailing.

Maybe if you go when the dining rooms first open up they want to seat as many people as possible and try to fill up the larger tables first. Go later and there are many open tables, they will just seat you as you arrive at a separate table.

MARAPRINCE

I'm confused. You aren't able to meet people on the ship anywhere but the dining room?

I'm confused. You aren't able to meet people on the ship anywhere but the dining room?

I was thinking the same thing. I just met about 200 people on my last cruise, and never dined with anyone else. What a weird thing to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've never been asked on the Dawn but since we prefer to dine alone, that's just fine with us. Many of the tables are situated in such a way that it's very easy to meet others and enjoy a conversation even though you're seated at different tables. This is especially true in the Aqua dining room where the spacing between some of the tables is barely large enough to get through!

You are misunderstanding what I said. Part of what we enjoy about cruising is having the same dinner companions with which to compare notes on what everyone did that day or asking advice on the ports, etc. We did meet and chat with various people on the ship who were sailing with their own families. Then we would not run into them again for the rest of the trip.

The Gem seemed to be very family oriented with lots of activities for families. We kidded about "adopting" a kid to participate in some of the activities.

We were always seated at a table for two and never asked if we wanted to share. In the main dining rooms, people were seated at tables with lots of empty tables between them. They never seemed to be really full and we never had to wait to be seated.

MARAPRINCE

You are misunderstanding what I said. Part of what we enjoy about cruising is having the same dinner companions with which to compare notes on what everyone did that day or asking advice on the ports, etc. We did meet and chat with various people on the ship who were sailing with their own families. Then we would not run into them again for the rest of the trip.

The Gem seemed to be very family oriented with lots of activities for families. We kidded about "adopting" a kid to participate in some of the activities.

We were always seated at a table for two and never asked if we wanted to share. In the main dining rooms, people were seated at tables with lots of empty tables between them. They never seemed to be really full and we never had to wait to be seated.

MARAPRINCE

No, I didn't misunderstand what you said. You didn't express what you meant in your previous post. What you meant by the previous post is what you said in this most recent post. Fine that you enjoy meeting others at dinner, not fine to say that it is not possible to meet others anywhere but the MDR.

MARAPRINCE

On a Freestyle ship where the majority of passengers just want to dine with their own party, you are going to find that a hostess asking you to be seated with others is going to be the exception rather than the rule. And I view this as a huge advantage, rather than detriment. If you want to cruise on a NCL ship, you have to get out of the mind set that dinner is the only way to meet others, and that you must wait for the hostess to ask. It's going to take a bit more initiative on your part. If you want to dine with others, just tell the hostess, but be prepared for no takers. Join your roll call. Suggest a couple of group dinners for those interested on the roll call, and join other activities where you can spend time with others. When you find some compatible people, make the suggestion for dinner yourself.

I always think it's odd that people want to dine with random strangers on a ship, when they would probably be aghast if the hostess suggested they join other diners at a restaurant at home.

On a Freestyle ship where the majority of passengers just want to dine with their own party, you are going to find that a hostess asking you to be seated with others is going to be the exception rather than the rule. And I view this as a huge advantage, rather than detriment. If you want to cruise on a NCL ship, you have to get out of the mind set that dinner is the only way to meet others, and that you must wait for the hostess to ask. It's going to take a bit more initiative on your part. If you want to dine with others, just tell the hostess, but be prepared for no takers. Join your roll call. Suggest a couple of group dinners for those interested on the roll call, and join other activities where you can spend time with others. When you find some compatible people, make the suggestion for dinner yourself.

I always think it's odd that people want to dine with random strangers on a ship, when they would probably be aghast if the hostess suggested they join other diners at a restaurant at home.

The mindset of just eating with your own party is what seems to be the norm with Free Style dining on the Gem. Fine if you come with a large family/group which we noted every time we were in one of the main dining rooms. Here and there you would see a table for two but most parties were composed of families with young children.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

We have frequently been asked if we wanted to share a table. We usually decline. We have met people in the MDR even when we don't share; the two tops are pretty close together so it's easy to meet other couples.

For the OP, it is not uncommon on NCL ships for people to want to share in the MDR, so just ask. The hostess will not act like she's never heard such a thing before and they will try to accommodate you.

There is also forced sharing in one of the specialty restaurants, Teppanyaki.

On our February cruise on Gem we asked to share every night - only once were we seated with others. My guess is that most NCL cruisers are addicted to "Freestyle " and do not want to share. - a pity, because regular dinner companions are one of the pleasures of a cruise. Only once in almost twenty non-NCL cruises did we not enjoy our table mates - and then we asked to be moved and again had a compatible group. The frankly anti-social ambience on NCL puts it at the bottom of our list.

If you are happy to share with another couple for a meal and you are not asked then you take the lead and ask. We have had lots of interesting "one off" meals and chats with other couples. Some we see round the ship and again talk briefly others we never see again.

I do admit we eat early when, usually, the dining room is not very full so the two of us at a 4 person table does not take up extra space. If we ate later, at the time we are usually leaving the dining room, then they may not want a partially filled table when it is starting to get busy.

On our February cruise on Gem we asked to share every night - only once were we seated with others. My guess is that most NCL cruisers are addicted to "Freestyle " and do not want to share. - a pity, because regular dinner companions are one of the pleasures of a cruise. Only once in almost twenty non-NCL cruises did we not enjoy our table mates - and then we asked to be moved and again had a compatible group. The frankly anti-social ambience on NCL puts it at the bottom of our list.

I don't know about anyone else but I find this statement offensive! There's nothing anti-social about NCL or those of us who choose to dine with the family & friends we're cruising with.

Being forced to dine with complete strangers is the fastest way I know of to ruin what should be a great vacation!

In the old days when breakfast, lunch & dinner were served in the MDR, at fixed times, seated with the same people & the same waitstaff, wasn't bad. By dinner at day 2 you either found common ground & new friends or asked to be moved & seated with [hopefully] more compatible people.

Dining with different people every time you go to the MDR is, for us, torture. We meet people & have made some great friends, but when we sit down to a meal............ we'll choose who we're dining with & you can bet it won't be someonewe we've never met!

I think it is amusing that the practice of dining only with the party you arrived at a restaurant with would be considered to be outside the norm. Yes, I suppose we are addicted to "Freestyle", because that is how society lives every single day. It is actually the practice of eating When you are told, Where you are told, and With the people you are told to eat with, that seems very abnormal to me. It is just not how people live day to day.

None of us are antisocial. We just like to choose our own dining companions. If dining at 7:30 every single night with people you have never met is really important to you, you should cruise on ships which still offer that, or make a little effort to arrange some dinners with people you meet. If you are really "social" that should not be a problem.