Exorbitant Airfare for Transatlantic Crossings...what am I doing wrong??

Lady Arwen

We were looking at the Westerdam Transatlantic for the end of March, 2017. Price is really good, considering the devalued Canadian Dollar. Checked on-line for airfare...Toronto-Ft. Lauderdale and then Rome back to Toronto.

The least expensive price was $3,500.00 PER PERSON! How can anyone afford $7,000.00 for airfare? Am I not looking correctly? Is it any less expensive with HAL air? I realise that split airfare is more expensive than roundtrip, but I did not expect it to be that much more! I would appreciate any advice that you folks may have.

Thanks in advance!

Grab the app OnTheFly and use it to price out the trip as two separate legs. The Toronto to Fort Lauderdale leg should be about C$330. The Rome leg should run around €1,500-1,600. I don't know your exact days, but check Aer Lingus for the return. They're often less than €1,000.

We were looking at the Westerdam Transatlantic for the end of March, 2017. Price is really good, considering the devalued Canadian Dollar. Checked on-line for airfare...Toronto-Ft. Lauderdale and then Rome back to Toronto.

The least expensive price was $3,500.00 PER PERSON! How can anyone afford $7,000.00 for airfare? Am I not looking correctly? Is it any less expensive with HAL air? I realise that split airfare is more expensive than roundtrip, but I did not expect it to be that much more! I would appreciate any advice that you folks may have.

Thanks in advance!

Have you used Google flights? Whether with google or any other site, don't price it as two one-way tickets. You want to look at "Multi-City" fares. You'll enter your first flight then your second/additional city. If that's what you meant by split, sorry. I do find google flights to be a great tool.

Edited by blizzardboy

There are a few airlines that do reasonable one-way airfares:

Domestic we use Southwest, not sure if they fly to Toronto but they do fly to Buffalo and would take you to Ft Lauderdale.

International we use IcelandAir usually out of Boston for us, connecting through Reykjavik and with the advantage that if you choose to stay in Iceland for up to 7 days en route to Europe the fare is the same as if you were to fly straight through. We prefer shorter flights so this works well for us.

Also Air Lingus has one way fares to/from Europe connecting through Ireland.

HAL Air may be a good deal to check into. m--

I just tired Orbitz.

8 March 2017 YTO to FLL US $210 Single Economy

22 March 2017 Rome to YTO Lowest US$478 (Turkish Air or Egypt Air)

or 'normal' carriers one way on British Airways US$1,800.

More reasonable.

Yes the air fares can be a surprise when you are not flying in and out of the same destination (round trip). However, if you work with a travel agent or with HAL Air, they can get you a better price.

I have used one or the other for this same situation in the past. This time, I had my travel agent work with HAL and I got the best price possible.

And I have been able to pick the airline, the time of day, dates and seats. So if you are planning on adding extra days before or after your cruise, that is not a problem. To get exactly what you want may require purchasing the tickets in advance. So be aware of any cancellation policies and travel insurance requirements (if you are purchasing that.)

If you are not as concerned about having everything all nailed down to the seat level, you won't have to pay for the tickets as early.

Thanks in advance!

I'm with Blizzard Boy to use Google Flights (or the old standby - Air Matrix). Air Matrix is the old system travel agents used to price flights. Neither Google Flights nor Air Matrix sell tickets - so impartial. I then go and book directly from the airline website because they are more likely to give you better service should something go wrong.

They do give you every option known to man, but you can set parameters.

If the pricing works, I have a suggestion. I flew Turkish Air to and from Africa last year and it was good. I recommend them. Also, they allow free layovers in Istanbul. Consider doing a layover there for 2 or 3 days. Istanbul can be pricey, but March is still low season and there are plenty of nice locally owned small hotels with breakfast just a few blocks from all of the key tourist places for a reasonable price.

Wow! Thank you all for your speedy replies! I'm going to check with HAL first. Since we have another cruise booked with them, when I try on-line to look at air it refers me to this reservation and won't let me peruse possibilities for other dates/cruises.

I've tried different airlines (Air Canada, etc.) and with Expedia, but all of them offer crazy prices. I'm going to try to see what 2 one-way tickets would be as opposed to multi-city, which is what I've been doing.

Thanks, all!

Wow! Thank you all for your speedy replies! I'm going to check with HAL first. Since we have another cruise booked with them, when I try on-line to look at air it refers me to this reservation and won't let me peruse possibilities for other dates/cruises.

I've tried different airlines (Air Canada, etc.) and with Expedia, but all of them offer crazy prices. I'm going to try to see what 2 one-way tickets would be as opposed to multi-city, which is what I've been doing.

Thanks, all!

So, Expedia does not show all air lines, and you can waste a lot of time checking each and every airline's site; so I hope you give the other sites suggested a try to at least know what your options are. However you do it, something better has to turn up.

Thanks in advance!

We found similar expensive flights for our upcoming TA on the Koningsdam when we were searching. Crazy prices.

We called HAL and through them we have a nonstop flight to Rome from Toronto on Air Canada, and nonstop Westjet home to Toronto from Ft. Lauderdale. Cost is $770 each. Way better than anything we could find.

Edited by Daisyloo

I found the same thing and was surprised for my July 2 flight. I tried everything 30 years of travel booking could think of. The solution that worked for me was to "buy" award tickets. I was fresh out of points because I had just done a around the world award flights Washington DC to San Francisco to Taipei to Bali and back from Tokyo Japan. I had literally 300 points on United. I waited a week for a points sale (about 3 times a year) and bought 60 thousand points for about $1000 US then got two economy award seats and paid for economy plus upgrade leaving one way tickets for two at $700 each plus I have a good start of points for the next award because points on the point purchase and upgrade. $700 vs almost $4000 for the same seat!

You have time to open credit card accounts with airline and get about 30 to 50 thousand points that way. Open a Chase Sapphire account and get bonus there. DO NOT use many of the 3rd party sellers of tickets or if you do so really really know what the risks are. Many sad stories on the results of these "bargain" prices. Please read the sticky of information on the top of cruise critics cruise air forum (under the cruise discussion topics) and start to educate yourself on the really complex procedures to get the flights you want and need to cruise. I believe that learning how to do this step for myself is important. Nobody else wants to save my money and get me a good flight as much as I want that. All 3rd parties (including cruise line air) sell you what they have not necessarily what you want. You can do it. You just need to learn how to take care of yourself in this particular shark tank.

Lady Arwen

These are normal airfare complications we experience in Canada when we try to get a flight that is not return A->B->A.

Either get an experienced travel agent or grind through the options yourself. I notice that Iceland Air flies Milan to Toronto via Iceland for very reasonsble prices. Perhaps goto FLL on one airline and come home on a different one.

We found similar expensive flights for our upcoming TA on the Koningsdam when we were searching. Crazy prices.

We called HAL and through them we have a nonstop flight to Rome from Toronto on Air Canada, and nonstop Westjet home to Toronto from Ft. Lauderdale. Cost is $770 each. Way better than anything we could find.

That sounds more like it! Amazing prices for non stop flights, too. I'm going to call HAL and also check the other booking options that folks here have suggested. I'd love to do this cruise, so I'm determined!

Thanks in advance!

I just checked google flights and I could do coach for US $850-1000 and business class for US $2100-2300

Lady Arwen

These are normal airfare complications we experience in Canada when we try to get a flight that is not return A->B->A.

Either get an experienced travel agent or grind through the options yourself. I notice that Iceland Air flies Milan to Toronto via Iceland for very reasonsble prices. Perhaps goto FLL on one airline and come home on a different one.

I agree, it's difficult in Canada to do these type of flights at reasonable prices. I don't mind using different airlines each way, however, I'm not sure I want to try Egypt Air or Turkish Air. I know that sounds foolish, but it seems these airlines are targets. Would prefer mainstream airlines, if at all possible.

HAL air has some really good pricing for international and/or one way.

Otherwise, Condor in Germany is good for flights to Toronto, great pricing.

Hope you can get HAL air. It may be a little early to be booking this air and that could be part of the problem.

Using the cruise line's air arrangements is far and away the best deal -- usually $400-$500 per person one way to London or Rome -(which we do every fall) .

The absurd thing is the fact that most airlines charge more for one way trams-Atlantic flights than for round trips if you book with the airlines - meaning that it is better to buy a R/T and just throw away the return ticket .

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. We may just scrap the transatlantic cruise and book a Med cruise in and out of the same city. Airfare is reasonable and the cost of the cruise is just a bit more.....much less stress!

Rather than looking for this as an open jaw flight try it 2 different one way fares

That works sometimes but not in this case of one way to Europe. I have never failed to find an open jaw that would work out (go to some of the less obvious choices and then a short train or plane ride within Europe. If you can not go international from your "home" airport, any airport with direct flights to the destination will do. Does not have to be the closest airport if you are taking a plane out. (though as I live on the east coast will not generally look at Chicago or Houston but will look at west coast for Asia and South Pacific) Sometimes I fly to a city on separate ticket (like Southwest or Jet Blue) then catch international but there are cautions with that.

I make great lists of flights that could work/ cross that with airline partners/ add in what else could I see?/and then when I have a great handle on it I call the airline to book -- agents can see more availability than you. This method comes about because of frequent flier miles but it also works for saving cash. I also pay more for flights easier on myself -- sometimes breaking up the trip with layover or stopover but never 2 or 3 up and downs as you sometimes get with cruise air. Hubby hates overnight flights and I hate to be at airport at 4AM for 6 AM flight so I eliminate those and keep looking.

And yes, I want control of my flights. I don't give that up without a really good good reason. The cruiselines don't admit it but they all offer "cruise only" fares and I can usually get economy flights there for that or cheaper.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Air transat offer true one way pricing from Toronto to many European visited. We flew to Venice to join a TA cruise a couple of years ago. The price was about $450 if I remember. So we upgraded to club class. Had a very comfortable flight

Terry

Lady Arwen,

Hope you get a quote from HAL on airfare; we are booked in October 2016 flying into Rome and home from Barcelona. After checking out every airline imaginable, HAL saved us $800 per person for anything we could find on our own.

Not sure if Norwegian Air flies into Canada, but, based on friends who have flown them and my research, their fares beat all the major carriers by a long shot.

We may be on the April 2017 transatlantic that you mentioned. We will see what HAL's airfare can do for us, but we've already priced out $600 per person one way from Prague (after the transatlantic ends) and it is only $600 per person one way - in Premium Class.

Hope you score a deal. Good luck.

Marion

Lady Arwen,

Hope you get a quote from HAL on airfare; we are booked in October 2016 flying into Rome and home from Barcelona. After checking out every airline imaginable, HAL saved us $800 per person for anything we could find on our own.

Not sure if Norwegian Air flies into Canada, but, based on friends who have flown them and my research, their fares beat all the major carriers by a long shot.

We may be on the April 2017 transatlantic that you mentioned. We will see what HAL's airfare can do for us, but we've already priced out $600 per person one way from Prague (after the transatlantic ends) and it is only $600 per person one way - in Premium Class.

Hope you score a deal. Good luck.

Marion

Thank you, Marion! I will definitely call HAL for prices before we make a final decision. Still looking at airfare for our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise this winter......so much easier....Westjet YYZ-FLL-YYZ! So many cruises, so little time!