Exorbitant Airfare for Transatlantic Crossings...what am I doing wrong??

Lady Arwen

Been there done that, and was also totally flabbergasted by the one way fares to Europe last October................THEN, I checked with HAL and got a fare to Italy for $600 pp where it was over $2000 pp on my own..........same experience this year with Celebrity for our TA from Barcelona, even cheaper this time.

Let the cruise lines do the booking, they have special agreements for these one way fares

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

We needed to get to Amsterdam to pickup the Viking Passage cruise back to Boston. American Airlines wanted over 2,300 for one way apiece. Ended up doing a RT to Boston and back and then flying comfort class on Icelandic with a 2 night stopover in Reykjavik. The price for 2 of us one way way roughly equivalent to what AA was asking for one of us. Basically it's extortion.

For our Celebrity Hong Kong to Yokohama were are flying open jaw on Cathay Pacific in Premium Economy for less than AA wanted for coach AND we get AA miles.

I just tired Orbitz.

8 March 2017 YTO to FLL US $210 Single Economy

22 March 2017 Rome to YTO Lowest US$478 (Turkish Air or Egypt Air)

or 'normal' carriers one way on British Airways US$1,800.

More reasonable.

Be VERY careful booking with Orbitz. When Delta had a schedule change on our flight, Orbitz rearranged our booking to a flight that left at 6:30 AM….. and when I tried to explain that this wouldn't work, since the cruise only docked at 7 AM…. Orbitz suggested that I ask for this cruise to arrive earlier!! And.. I was told I was speaking to the supervisor!! They also said

there would be a fee to cancel and rebook. I gave up on Orbitz and called

Delta directly and was given another flight, with NO cancel fee. Never again

will I even think of booking anything with Orbitz.

For what it's worth we paid $1131.62 each for round trip tickets from Ottawa to Amsterdam for our June 2016 cruise. We did use a travel agent but searched for flight combinations on our own. We are going Ottawa to Heathrow and the Heathrow to Amsterdam with 3 hours in between flights so we are not rushed. Our depart/arrival times are civilised also. We are flying economy no points used.

I know it's a big shell game but you may want to wait to see how things shape up. March 2017 is still a ways away.

I agree with the poster who suggested Air Transat. They fly one way from Rome to Pearson for $460Cdn. Unfortunately they only do this flight once/week. If this is the cruise that arrives on April 13 you could spend a couple of nights in Rome and fly home (direct) on April 15.

Of course you would have to add in the 2 nights hotel so if you don't want to stay in Rome, best see what flights HAL can offer.

We are just down the road from you in Waterloo and took Air Transat on our recent TA in April (we stayed 4 days in Rome). We are doing the TA on Koningsdam next year and are lucky that there is an Air Transat flight the day we arrive so we will book that. We could also book through HAL and the cost is about C$740 getting us to TO around 19:30 by way of Philadephia.

Our experience is similar - we needed 1 way from Western Canada to Barcelona for a trans-Atlantic cruise. We also wanted to book 2 return tickets for our DD and S-I-L who will be joining us in Barcelona for a week before our cruise. We're sending them home, and will board the Euroam for our cruise. The cost of the return tickets was $1328 pp, while a 1 way ticket was $3800. Extortion? Yes! We called our PC who took down our particulars and was able to get us one way flights for $638 CAD per person.

In the past we have found using HAL's air is much cheaper when needing one way fares, and are happy to use this service again.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The absurd thing is the fact that most airlines charge more for one way trams-Atlantic flights than for round trips if you book with the airlines - meaning that it is better to buy a R/T and just throw away the return ticket .

This is also my experience, buy a round trip and throw away the 2nd part.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. We may just scrap the transatlantic cruise and book a Med cruise in and out of the same city. Airfare is reasonable and the cost of the cruise is just a bit more.....much less stress!

We had originally booked on a transatlantic going to the med and winding up in Rotterdam. After all the craziness in Europe and the fact that we HATE to fly we switched to a round trip Ft Lauderdale med cruise and back to Ft Lauderdale leaving the end of Oct this year. No flying involved and btw HAL is now offering this cruise at a heavily discounted rate to sell cabins. It's a fire sale with penalties if you cancel and it is 42 days but in our book it's a winner. I hope what ever you decide to do have a great trip.

PS - You can actually book this cruise leaving Boston or New York, not just Ft Lauderdale.

Be VERY careful booking with Orbitz. When Delta had a schedule change on our flight, Orbitz rearranged our booking to a flight that left at 6:30 AM….. and when I tried to explain that this wouldn't work, since the cruise only docked at 7 AM…. Orbitz suggested that I ask for this cruise to arrive earlier!! And.. I was told I was speaking to the supervisor!! They also said

there would be a fee to cancel and rebook. I gave up on Orbitz and called

Delta directly and was given another flight, with NO cancel fee. Never again

will I even think of booking anything with Orbitz.

Unreal! How did they think you could get the ship back earlier! Thanks, for the advice.......omit Orbitz!

Use a real "live" travel agent where you live. They live and work and pay taxes in your community and will get you the best prices.

Yes, I'll also do that! I've been perusing this morning and I can get AirCanada flights totalling about $3800.00. Alot, but better than $7,000.00!

I just ran the example posted earlier using Multi-City fare mode on Google Flights, with Mar 7, Toronto to FLL, then March 22, Rome to Toronto - about $850US each for both flights in coach with Air Canada and partners, and about $2300US each in Bus Class for both flights. GF is a great feature to use to benchmark major carrier fares. You can save flights before booking and it'll map fare movement.

We were looking at the Westerdam Transatlantic for the end of March, 2017. Price is really good, considering the devalued Canadian Dollar. Checked on-line for airfare...Toronto-Ft. Lauderdale and then Rome back to Toronto.

The least expensive price was $3,500.00 PER PERSON! How can anyone afford $7,000.00 for airfare? Am I not looking correctly? Is it any less expensive with HAL air? I realise that split airfare is more expensive than roundtrip, but I did not expect it to be that much more! I would appreciate any advice that you folks may have.

Thanks in advance!

When we were pricing airfare last year and earlier this year for a transatlantic we took in April we were also shocked at one way international airfare. We then priced roundtrip air and it was almost half the cost so we booked roundtrip.

We are using the return air to take the return transatlantic. :p

We often fly one ways or open jaws to Europe. Plan to do this in late August/early Sept. Again...from Toronto. Try Transat, the cruise line, and some on line consolidators. The ticket you purchase from the latter is more often than not identical to that which you buy thru the cruise line. Try the new WOW routes from Toronto. Icelandair and Aer Lingus sometimes have some good o/w flight options. Do a connection on a discount European airline. You can use the savings to tour another city. Norwegian Air offers some great one ways to Florida.

Sometimes you can get some very good offers. Good luck.

I just ran the example posted earlier using Multi-City fare mode on Google Flights, with Mar 7, Toronto to FLL, then March 22, Rome to Toronto - about $850US each for both flights in coach with Air Canada and partners, and about $2300US each in Bus Class for both flights. GF is a great feature to use to benchmark major carrier fares. You can save flights before booking and it'll map fare movement.

Blizzardboy, I looked at HAL site and compared dates for the OP. It's about 3 weeks after the dates you put in, and it is quite a bit more. I was surprised to see that Google Flights for the April dates was quoting Air Canada was about $1500 Cdn for the one way from Rome.

Lady Arwen, I actually think it might be a little early to check out good prices if looking independently. Good to check and then ask TA and HAL for their quotes, but some say the best flight availability and prices are about 5-6 months out.

Also, it looks like AirCanada is your airline of preference, so sign up for their emails to notify you of seat sails. You will see that the sales are quoted as one way prices which might be of advantage.

Edited by mef_57

Blizzardboy, I looked at HAL site and compared dates for the OP. It's about 3 weeks after the dates you put in, and it is quite a bit more. I was surprised to see that Google Flights for the April dates was quoting Air Canada was about $1500 Cdn for the one way from Rome.

Lady Arwen, I actually think it might be a little early to check out good prices if looking independently. Good to check and then ask TA and HAL for their quotes, but some say the best flight availability and prices are about 5-6 months out.

Also, it looks like AirCanada is your airline of preference, so sign up for their emails to notify you of seat sails. You will see that the sales are quoted as one way prices which might be of advantage.

Yes, I think you're right. I probably should wait another couple of months and then check. I will, however, compare with HAL prices before making any decisions.

It's always cheaper generally to buy a return ticket, even if you don't end up taking/needing the return flight. Other than that, have you any frequent flyer miles to spend on a flight? As a Brit, it's sad to say...avoid flying through the UK, because of the UK air taxes...this can add considerably to the overall costs. Have a look at skyscanner and secretfying websites.

Can I ask HAL for an open jaw quote if I am staying two nights in London, England, before flying to Rome and staying two nights there before my cruise? Also, I am staying 4 nights extra in Fort Lauderdale before flying home to Vancouver. I am using an online TA but they don't provide a lot of customer service. I have checked out Air Transat to London and their fare is not bad, $514 CDN one way Vancouver to London, or $544 with seat selection and pre-boarding option.

Edited by luvcruisn'

I would wait a few months. We are currently shopping for late August/early Sept fares to southern Europe. Our dates are not firmed up yet but we want to be ready to book once they are and when we see a good price.

We have noticed that fares on several routes, o/w and open jaw, are less expensive than they were two months ago. We experienced the same last year when we flew Toronto-Athens.

Have you checked Holland America's prices for flights? I have found HAL to have good prices for transatlantic cruises, they have beaten any other prices by hundreds of dollars. http://www.hollandamerica.com/FlightEase?legacy=true

We saved a bundle booking through the cruise line. Also know that you don't have to fly in and out on the day of and the last day of the cruise. You can go early or stay a few days after.

There are those who say the connections you make with the cruise line aren't good but when you're talking about saving hundreds of $$$ it may be worth it.

So, I just did a faux booking via Kayak using March 22 as a departure date (from Toronto to FLL) and Rome to Toronto on April 19 (just sample dates to get prices). The lowest price was $757 per person using a combination of American Airlines and Turkish Airlines (actually a pretty decent airline). Even if we used a combination of American Airlines and British Air the total cost per person was $2074!

So to answer the OP's question, yes you are doing it wrong :). When looking for international deals it often pays to use third party online sites like Kayak (there are plenty of others). There are also other interesting options like using Aer Lingus (you can have a free multi day stopover in Ireland) or Icelandic Air (free multi-day stopovers in Iceland) to expand your vacation.

Hank

So, I just did a faux booking via Kayak using March 22 as a departure date (from Toronto to FLL) and Rome to Toronto on April 19 (just sample dates to get prices). The lowest price was $757 per person using a combination of American Airlines and Turkish Airlines (actually a pretty decent airline). Even if we used a combination of American Airlines and British Air the total cost per person was $2074!

So to answer the OP's question, yes you are doing it wrong :). When looking for international deals it often pays to use third party online sites like Kayak (there are plenty of others). There are also other interesting options like using Aer Lingus (you can have a free multi day stopover in Ireland) or Icelandic Air (free multi-day stopovers in Iceland) to expand your vacation.

Hank

Thanks, Hank! Will try that, too. The cruise we're looking at is Westerdam....Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale March 31st ending in Rome April 13th. Will try Kayak and HAL.

Thanks, Hank! Will try that, too. The cruise we're looking at is Westerdam....Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale March 31st ending in Rome April 13th. Will try Kayak and HAL.

Booked Oosterdam from Tampa to Barcelona end of March. HAL's airfare from San Antonio to Tampa & Barcelona to San Antonio was a fantastic price of just under $750 per person.

I have tied in the price, and obtained seating. Payment is not due now, certainly a difference from on-line travel sites. Also, booking thru HAL assures you that, if there is a flight delay, you will be taken care of. Not a bad thing.

Hank

Curious...did you search using Multi-city or 2 one-ways?

Edited by blizzardboy