Preferred Store Shopping Guarantee is worthless

spaceguy

Mrs Spaceguy bought a ring with cash, in Acapulco at one of preferred stores talked up in the shopping talk on our recent Sun Princess repositioning cruise..

That night in the Vista lounge the stone fell out!! We saw Dan the Shopping guide the next day. He said the next place to get it repaired would be Aruba. He later sent us a letter saying he was not authorized to have the stone repaired/replaced in Aruba but we should use the guarantee that they offer for preferred stores on the port guide, once we get back home. He admitted it was least desireable option for us but assured us we were covered. We filled out the form at the end of the cruise that would cover us and turned it in on board.

Mrs. Spaceguy has been trying to to get her ring fixed since we have been home. Today she got an e-mail from Yaharia at PPI that states they only have a 30 day guarantee from the DATE of PURCHASE....

So...buyer beware.. Even for all the talk about assurances you get from the cruise line the preferred stores aren't any better. We are not done trying to get this resolved...

Several years ago, I purchased a diamond and tanzanite bracelet in St. Maarten. The next night was formal night so I took the opportunity to wear it. As I was putting it on, the catch broke off. Yikes! The next day, I took it to the CD along with the sales receipt. He took responsibility for everything, took it back to the store personally, and a month later (since the ship wasn't going back to St. Maarten for 2 weeks), the bracelet was returned to me, better than new. I've worn it many times since.

I have to admit that I was very impressed that the CD took the responsibility and followed through. On reflection, that's what he should have done as he was ultimately responsible for the shore guide.

After several cruises we realized that the ship endorsed stores usually have higher prices and pay a 'kick back' to the cruise lines for endorsing them....so we don't pay attention to their recommendations. If we find something we like, we use plastic, as mentioned above, and have recourse that way....

always use plastic...

Agree about the pricing..some smaller stores will try to give better pricing because they want to get your business, will be more curtious...some have more local craftsmen's pieces that are special and unique

I do like to deal with larger jewelers that have store in the states for eally major "investment type" purchases..H. Sterns has a shop in NYC..can deal with them directly...Diamonds Internation..etc.

On my last trip I felt I had a good deal then the "shopping guy" comes over and the price dropped another $200 bucks.....hummmmm. This was at Diamonds International. I want to get the bracelet apprisated to see what it really worht..I feel I gota good deal but still..I love it , have had complaements.

My boss who is a Dr and his wife were on a cruise 4 months ago, the jeweler who was an "authorized" store offered to clean her ring, she let them and when they got back home she noticed a prong loose. Debbie took the ring to her jeweler her in Michigan and found out that her stone was actually switched and now she had a 3 carat CZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cruise line was no help and the store was even less. I learned my lesson from her and NEVER buy any big piece from any island. I also will never let my ring out of my site on a cruise...

I always translate these preferred store guarantees as "yada, yada, yada".

When my wife bought a pair of earrings from one of these stores the salesperson emphasized how it was backed by the store's international reputation and the cruise line's recommendation. Fortunately, nothing adverse has happened to the earrings but the thought of asking for repairs sends shudders up and down my spine. How am I going to get it repaired? Send the earrings to a post office box in a foreign country? It's cheaper and safer just to pay for the repairs at home. That's the best guarantee.

I am so sorry you are having this problem. After reading this board for a few years, I have seen this issue pop up periodically - your situation is not unusual.

It is too bad that the cruise line gives you a false sense of protection when as you and others have reported, doesn't always exist. Please keep us informed on how this plays out.

On our last few cruises the "shopping guy" passed out stickers as the passengers disembark in the ports. DH and I call them SUCKER STICKERS. It's like a red flashing light that says "I'm the stupidest tourist on earth and I'll pay whatever you say". :eek:

I've never understood why people go on a cruise to an exotic foreign port and then spend half the day jewelry shopping. Yes, it's a memento of the trip, but so is a postcard. If you really need fine jewelry go to JC Penney at home. At the very least, shop at Diamonds International online! ;)

I've never understood why people go on a cruise to an exotic foreign port and then spend half the day jewelry shopping. Yes, it's a memento of the trip, but so is a postcard.

I agree..............

Hope the friend with the CZ.....had insurance.....how unfortunate...........

I never wear any rings or jewerly that I value on a cruise....to much hassel trying to keep tract of it.

I think that it is very deceptive of the cruise lines not to inform passengers that one prerequisite to becoming a 'preferred' store is the willingness of the establishment to pay the cruise line between $800. and $1200. month for the privilage. On our Sun trip in Feb, we found the shopping consultant especially annoying. We avoid these so called lectures like the plague-they are just touting for business.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I frequent a store that is not a recommended store because of their return policy and their customer service. I bought an omega at the store and 15 months later it started discoloring. I contacted them, they said to send it to them and they'd see what they could do. What they did was replace it with a brand new one - and express mailed the new one the day after they received the one I sent...AND included a check for the cost of shipping the necklace to them.

On my next cruise, I mentioned this to the CD. He just turned his nose up and said that the line didn't recommend them "for other reasons". Meaning, they wouldn't pay the line off.

I have another take on the jewelry story. When I bought my ring at Diamonds International I was told I could upgrade it for its full price at any time in the future. Well, 2 years later I was at DI again and inquired about upgrading. They would only credit what I actually paid them in "money" toward a new ring. They would not take into consideration the fact that I traded in an old diamond that they said was worth $1000 (which is exactly what it had been appraised at stateside). So although the ring was appraised at and sold as a $2000 ring at the time of purchase, it was a different story at the time of attemped upgrade. All of a sudden the ring was only worth $1000.00 . I spoke with the manager of the shop and complained to the "ship shopper" to no avail. Buyers beware.

To update:

Mrs Spaceguy faxed copies of all her info to the PPI folks on Sat. This included the letter from Dan the Shooping Guide on board on how we had to resolve the issue. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Fortunately the ring was not very expensive.

Please keep us posted. All of us will be very interested in hearing the outcome. Last year there was a similar thread and after many, many months of trying, the poster did get her issue resolved. Just keep prodding and don't let it go.

Archived