where the discounts come from

gerig

Is it the cruise line that offers the senior discount and the agencies then pass on to the clients? Or do travel agents and cruise brokers offer these discounts? I thought there was a certain price guideline that agencies and brokers and to adhere to which must be within the price limits of the cruise lines. I booked a cruise for next October directly with the cruise line and I thought if I saw an on-line site advertise a senior discount I thought I could call the cruise line and request that the discount be applied to my booking also.

Who actually gives the discount?

Its my understanding that most of the discounts come from cruise lines; such as Carnival. Princess does not offer them. That sort of thing. There MIGHT be some agencies that offer their own senior pricing, and then that would have to come off their commission.....

• 2 weeks later...

The cruise lines will adjust their prices as the sail date approaches, and depending on how well sales are going, they may raise prices to increase revenue, or decrease fares to stimulate sales if their inventory of cabins is selling too slowly. Cruise agents may book a group of cabins at reduced prices, and pass on the savings to their customers. To be really competetive some TAs will reduce their commissions to make a sale.

petert

• 2 months later...

Some lines do not allow them to reduce their commission to further cut the sale price.

But if you shop wisely and early, you can usually take advantage of the early bird special pricing offered by many and have an great pick of cabin selections. If after you book, there should be a sale, the line will adjust your pricing accordingly.

The cruiselines offer various special promotions at various times sometimes they are age related sometimes based on the state you live in etc. In addition to that most agencies can offer special lower pricing to whomever because they book a block of rooms at a lower rate then pass on the savings in addition to any specials running at the time.

A good agency will give you the lowest rate and keep looking for a lower one and give it to you automatically if anything changes before your cruise.

Gerig - Carnival, for instance, offers several different types discounts. If you go to their website, you can be put on their email list. All the during the year, they will send emails to you about the various discounted cruises being offered. They have several - like Past Guest, Senior, State of Residency, Military, etc. discounts.

I haven't dealt with local TAs in years, and would not book with an online agency, because I prefer personalized service and speaking with a real person. Sometimes, an outside agency just cannot offer what the cruiseline itself can.

Check out every source - and always ask what discounts they can offer you. The 'deals' are out there. You just have to be diligent. I have a great Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) that I've used for the past several cruises, and she has always managed to find great perks for me. I haven't cruised without being given either shipboard credits or reduced rates in years. Good luck.:)

I don't think there is a one size fits all here. Each line has different policies on how you can sell.

Additionally some agencies belong to consortiums, so that if the line allows it they can offer group booking pricing to individuals, not something you get when you book directly with the line itself BUT some lines don't do this any more either! Instead you get a perk rather than discounted room rate.

Not all agencies charge additional fees either so in many instances their pricing is exactly what the cruise line offers, not padded. Plus hundreds of specials cross their desks daily. They have the option of prebooking in many instances, before that stuff goes public and when they know they've got clients looking, they're the people that get the heads up.

Also I think it's important to note that value of a cruise comes in more than just dollar form. You have to look at the quality of what you're getting and weigh that against the dollar, not to mention sometimes it's just plain additional amentities.

For instance if you do the early bookings, you do have a wide variety of cabin choices and usually a wonderful price. If you wait till last minute you have the illusion of cut pricing, since the pricing almost always rises as you get closer to your sail date, but in fact that maybe closer to the early bird pricing and yet you're getting a left over cabin. Hey someone's getting the cabin next to the anchor or window washing equipment! So does that have as much value to it as a prime location cabin at the same or even better pricing?

In general the best cabins go first and can go quickly. Plus, if you book a cabin and the price is lowered by the cruise line they'll match it.

The other thing is the lines reward frequent travelors. So take advantage of the free membership clubs and enjoy the perks they offer. These do include cabin discounts, free merchandise, special welcome aboard parties, nc for custom air, etc.

Many people fall into the trick of waiting to book their next cruise till they are on a cruise thinking they're getting ahead by receiving a ship board credit. They forget to compare the cabin costs. In most cases, if they'd purchased the cabin when the ship opened booking, they'd have saved more money than waiting to book, when pricing has risen.

I think people need to understand, it's a business and there is always a bottom line cutoff in every business. Do your research know the line you're interested in. If you keep the vigil, there are always options in pricing and if you know what you're doing, in most cased you'll probably do fine. If you don't want to take the chance than search for a good ta and let them do your leg work for you.

I just used AAA for my cruise (first). How are they as far as discounts.

Any SUggestions in how to get a free video for a cruise line?

I don't think there is a one size fits all here. Each line has different policies on how you can sell.

Additionally some agencies belong to consortiums, so that if the line allows it they can offer group booking pricing to individuals, not something you get when you book directly with the line itself BUT some lines don't do this any more either! Instead you get a perk rather than discounted room rate.

Not all agencies charge additional fees either so in many instances their pricing is exactly what the cruise line offers, not padded. Plus hundreds of specials cross their desks daily. They have the option of prebooking in many instances, before that stuff goes public and when they know they've got clients looking, they're the people that get the heads up.

Also I think it's important to note that value of a cruise comes in more than just dollar form. You have to look at the quality of what you're getting and weigh that against the dollar, not to mention sometimes it's just plain additional amentities.

For instance if you do the early bookings, you do have a wide variety of cabin choices and usually a wonderful price. If you wait till last minute you have the illusion of cut pricing, since the pricing almost always rises as you get closer to your sail date, but in fact that maybe closer to the early bird pricing and yet you're getting a left over cabin. Hey someone's getting the cabin next to the anchor or window washing equipment! So does that have as much value to it as a prime location cabin at the same or even better pricing?

In general the best cabins go first and can go quickly. Plus, if you book a cabin and the price is lowered by the cruise line they'll match it.

The other thing is the lines reward frequent travelors. So take advantage of the free membership clubs and enjoy the perks they offer. These do include cabin discounts, free merchandise, special welcome aboard parties, nc for custom air, etc.

Many people fall into the trick of waiting to book their next cruise till they are on a cruise thinking they're getting ahead by receiving a ship board credit. They forget to compare the cabin costs. In most cases, if they'd purchased the cabin when the ship opened booking, they'd have saved more money than waiting to book, when pricing has risen.

I think people need to understand, it's a business and there is always a bottom line cutoff in every business. Do your research know the line you're interested in. If you keep the vigil, there are always options in pricing and if you know what you're doing, in most cased you'll probably do fine. If you don't want to take the chance than search for a good ta and let them do your leg work for you.

I wish there was a simple answer to your question! It all depends. On what you booked, when's the cruise, what were the perks given, pricing. I mean really, sometimes we're talking about shades of gray, sometimes we're talking a couple of hundred! It just depends on so much.

I don't think they're bad but like I said, each person has their own idea of value.

Let me give you another for instance.

I booked a two week Hawaiian the morning, almost exact minute, the cruise opened to booking.... I booked a top level balcony room, D1, on the stern which means your balcony is bigger than the D1 cabins on the side of the boat. Now, both cabins were the same price, so, why not have the larger balcony!

(please don't get into the location discussion, this is just for example purpose only)

Two months later, the price had gone up a few hundred and the cruise sold out. This was for a cruise that was 18 months in advance!

Now, here we are, about eight months from cruise time and all of a sudden 5 cabins open up. One is the grand suite, which most people can't even begin to look at but the other was for an ocean view cabin, cat F.

The price was about what I paid for the top level balcony cabin, considerably larger, lovely full balcony and of course, I had additional lead time to pay off the cruise.

Now, the big surprise? Those cabins were gone in 24 hours. So, to those that purchased them, it was worth the price. TO me, it was a complete waste of good money!

But sometimes circumstances are what they are and you are not in the position to purchase a year in advance. These people were thrilled they're getting on the ship!

Oh, by the way, the GS sold too! :)

Free video, hmm hard to come by. Most freebees are old that some ta is clearing out. What are you looking for, most are short promo's not detailed. Some are the history of the build. That sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Venice, in my opionion and through many cruise research projects, I find AAA to be one of the most expensive agencies. I certainly would have thought the opposite due to their National agency buying power but each time comparing apples to apples, they are substantially higher. I have even compared their group cruises with perks such as parking, transfers to the airport, etc. The price was still out of line. It is good to compare major cruise selling agencies; American Express, CruisesOnly, Galaxsea Cruises, icruise, and many other on-line agencies. At least you will know the difference being quoted for the same cruise, date & cabin category.

Bon Voyage

Archived