Photo Review: Celebrity Solstice to Alaska 5/27/16

alainamarie

Did you need a passport for any of your excursions? We are looking at this itinerary for next summer, and some that we may be traveling with don't have one. Loving your pictures!

I'm 99.99% sure, regardless of excursions, that a passport is required. All foreign registered ships, originating and returning to a US port, must call on a foreign port - and in the case of the Seattle based Solstice for Alaskan itineraries, that port is usually Victoria in Canada.

24 more days till I sail on this ship!

We have the drink package too. As it includes alcoholic drinks, coffee and sodas - is there a limit as to how many drinks per day?

One more comment...last time we were in Alaska we sailed on Celebrity Mercury and went to Hubbard Glacier. It was the first week of July. I remember so much ice in the water when we sailed to the glacier, yet the phots of Tracy Arm show very little ice in the water. Is it that different?

Edited by DaisyGirl55

Did you need a passport for any of your excursions? We are looking at this itinerary for next summer, and some that we may be traveling with don't have one. Loving your pictures!

Yes in Skagway if you go across the border (which is not far) and Victoria, BC. I think you had to have a passport to get on the ship due to the Canadian port.

24 more days till I sail on this ship!

We have the drink package too. As it includes alcoholic drinks, coffee and sodas - is there a limit as to how many drinks per day?

One more comment...last time we were in Alaska we sailed on Celebrity Mercury and went to Hubbard Glacier. It was the first week of July. I remember so much ice in the water when we sailed to the glacier, yet the phots of Tracy Arm show very little ice in the water. Is it that different?

Drink package with celebrity is unlimited. I upgraded to premium and happy I did so... I love cafe al bacio!

I was not awake to see all of the ice that made it unsafe to pass through Tracy, so I cannot compare the two. I guess we trust the captain and technology to not steer us wrong. I think winter greatly impacts summer, harsh winters probably make the entire summer difficult to sail through due to ice.

The last day of the cruise was a late port of Victoria, BC. We spent the day sleeping in and then packing. because luggage had to be outside of your door by 11pm.

We arrived at 5:30 and we got off the ship not too long after we docked. We did not book an excursion, we decided to make this our leisure port and walk to downtown Victoria. What a beautiful and small city this is! We enjoyed strolling through the quiet and quaint neighborhoods, ending up by some floating houses and then onto the Empress Hotel and downtown. Here are some photos of our stroll....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Some places other than the Empress Hotel...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And that concludes Victoria! I did not take pictures while walking, we were enjoying the stroll so I did not whip out the camera. Very cute houses all over this town.

We headed back to the ship to have dinner in the MDR before heading to the martini bar for the last drink of the cruise. In the MDR tonight, our regular waiter was not working, so we had a new team and they were nice, but not Rogelio. :p

Sorry guys and gals, I'm going to fail you on this one. I'm tired and really didn't feel like scanning the dailies. I guess dailies are not something I look for; I like the element of surprise. I did save all of them except for May 30th. I kept noticing a glare with my Nikon, so I stuck with iPhone pictures of the dailies on my lap. I know, over achiever! :D

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Sorry, I must have lost May 30th! Don't worry, you're not missing much with this poor quality. :eek:

ry%3D400

This is where it gets professional y'all -- a little sneak peek of my lap! :rolleyes: Yeah, my apologies for this low quality production I'm bringing you! I should probably buy everyone a drink after looking at these lazy dailies! ;)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I wouldn't have missed the catamaran tour for the world - its so beautiful - and the people wonderful - Hot chocolate. tea and coffee and yummy pastries available free - but also some goodies to buy - I own a salmon company and still bought a salmon cookbook - :p

Loved this excursion so much and we were so right up there when the glacier calved several times - just perfect!

If I ever do Alaska by ship again, I will definitely book this excursion! I would probably chose to go in July/August next time in hopes that ice will not be an issue. Guess there really is no guarantee!

If I ever do Alaska by ship again, I will definitely book this excursion! I would probably chose to go in July/August next time in hopes that ice will not be an issue. Guess there really is no guarantee!

I agree - we will for sure do it again - we thought it was a "once in a lifetime" but - we fell in love with Seattle too - would do a week in Seattle first - then the cruise - and in my dream plan - we would get off the ship in Victoria and take 3-4 days and work our way back to Seattle enjoying a post cruise vacation - 9 hours is a lot of jet lag - want to make it worthwhile. But yup - July/August would be perfect - we would like to have seen the salmon run - salmon is our living - but - this cruise was a dream trip - we can do the Med and Euro any old time - and we do TA crossings all the time simply because it fits and we enjoy ship life - but this one - it was magical - thanks for the memories!! :)

I agree - we will for sure do it again - we thought it was a "once in a lifetime" but - we fell in love with Seattle too - would do a week in Seattle first - then the cruise - and in my dream plan - we would get off the ship in Victoria and take 3-4 days and work our way back to Seattle enjoying a post cruise vacation - 9 hours is a lot of jet lag - want to make it worthwhile. But yup - July/August would be perfect - we would like to have seen the salmon run - salmon is our living - but - this cruise was a dream trip - we can do the Med and Euro any old time - and we do TA crossings all the time simply because it fits and we enjoy ship life - but this one - it was magical - thanks for the memories!! :)

This was my 5th trip to Seattle, so I guess I should probably try Vancouver next! I would love t know the name of your business b/c I did not buy salmon in Alaska and have a hankering for smoked salmon! I just noticed you live in Scotland, I would love to visit Ireland and Scotland!

I would love to do Europe and the Med... that will be next year, I hope! So hard to choose an itinerary.

-Alaina

Edited by alainamarie

There are plenty of wonderful itineraries to choose from. I suggest you make up a list of places and things that if you only had one shot at Europe you would do and work from there.:D

I know, the options are plenty! Maybe I will come to Australia!!

I know, the options are plenty! Maybe I will come to Australia!!

Do Europe by land - in the fall - and then the TA back to USA - perfect! Weather is lovely, kids are back at school - all is ticketyboo this side of the pond and also for the crossing ..

I would LOVE to go to New Orleans!!!!!!!!!!!!!