Photo Review: Celebrity Solstice to Alaska 5/27/16

alainamarie

In case you missed the subject, port day # 1 is Ketchikan!

One of the two excursions we pre-booked was the one in Ketchikan. We decided as a group to make this our first seaplane adventure. We booked via Celebrity's website and booked this excursion.

Exclusive Flightseeing & Crab Feast $239

Start by viewing wildlife on the ground and eagles in the sky as you take off on a 450 horsepower floatplane over Ketchikan.

Activity Type:Active Adventures, Culinary, Destination Highlights

Activity Level: Mild

Duration:3 hours 0 minute

Restrictions:N/A

This was a GREAT excursion and I HIGHLY recommend it. I was concerned that it was not going to be a good value, but I ate my weight in crabs and quickly realized this was an awesome idea. I did overdo it on the dungeness crabs, but I am from south Louisiana and I can shovel some crabs. I found it interesting that the crabs are not from Alaska, they are flown in from Seattle :eek: ... yeah who knew?!!?!

Stepping off the boat, this is the board walk area... you MUST go to the Artic Bar! Great place...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We had a nice 30 minute bus ride with our driver Dalton (from Muncie, IN!) to George Inlet Lodge. We were going to feast before we fly!

ry%3D400

Heather was our amazing host and she did a tutorial on how to peel dungeness crab... of course I paid no attention because I knew I had this down!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Crab cheesecake! :p Just kidding, it's regular cheesecake, but flown in from Philly!

ry%3D400

The airline was Taquan airlines and the seaplane picks you up from the dock at the Lodge. The airline told us once we landed that the Misty Fjords were too foggy and unsafe to fly in that day so a lot of flights were cancelled. She did say a lot of airlines still fly despite the visually unsafe conditions. Our seaplane was not scheduled to go through the Misty Fjords, so it was not an issue for us. The plane lands at the airline dock and a bus brings you back to downtown.

Some views from the sky...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I've had a lot of people ask what the lodge looks like, I forgot to put this one up earlier...

ry%3D400

The seaplanes landed right here at the dock...

ry%3D400

Sorry about back tracking a bit, so let's end this port with a couple shots of "downtown". My aunt purchased a few pounds of smoked salmon. They did have samples and both were delicious.

ry%3D400

Goodbye Catch Yo Can!

ry%3D400

OH! I didn't recognize you, I just asked every pretty girl I saw if they were from New Orleans!! :eek: My odds got better as the week went by:rolleyes:

No just kidding, your picture gave you away.:D

We are doing an eastbound 15 night Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego on the 17th of April, 2017. It is on the Infinity, the one that smacked into the peer in Ketchikan last friday.:eek: I'm sure it will be OK by then.

Enjoying your review. Keep it coming!!!

Awww :p

Just looked up your cruise, only inside cabins & suites left! :cool: Thinking about it!!

Edited by alainamarie

Loving the review! We will be on this trip June 24.

I noticed you upgraded to Premium. Did you drink much wine and if so, did you have issues finding wines available that weren't super cheap or way over priced? I read in another thread about people having problems. We prefer Pinot Noir but will try other wines, just don't want to upgrade and then find out they are out of everything except the expensive stuff priced higher than Premium covers.

Loving the review! We will be on this trip June 24.

I noticed you upgraded to Premium. Did you drink much wine and if so, did you have issues finding wines available that weren't super cheap or way over priced? I read in another thread about people having problems. We prefer Pinot Noir but will try other wines, just don't want to upgrade and then find out they are out of everything except the expensive stuff priced higher than Premium covers.

I didn't have any issues with the premium package... I also love Pinot noirs and stuck with Kendall Jackson ($11)... I wanted la crema ($13) but they were out (?!!!?!), so sommelier substituted Whitehaven Pinot noir for it and it was also $13 and delicious. I also enjoyed martinis and molecular bar. I think the house Pinot may be within the classic limit. Order La Crema as soon as you get on board- I waited and they ran out by day 4! I didn't realize it was only $13, that's why it took me a few days to order.

For my 7 day cruise, it cost $82 to upgrade.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by alainamarie

I know most of you are aware that our ship could not sail through Tracy Arm Fjord due to ice blocking a safe passage way. Thankfully we had a detour and Plan B. I realllllly wish I could have taken in the beautiful sites of Tracy Arm, but we headed into Endicott Arm & Dawes Fjord instead.

Of course, everyone was disappointed, but we knew the two previous cruises couldn't make it through. Here are some pictures that basically all look the same because I did not leave my balcony. Yes, you guessed it! I am NOT a morning person. Grumpy and disappointed meant that this girl did not leave the balcony.

I stayed in this position for a while....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We had the same issue with Tracey Arm two days ago. Endicott Arm was magnificent.

I'm so grateful for Endicott Arm & Dawes, but I do wish we could have all witnessed the glory of Tracey Arm. So sorry y'all missed it too.

It's funny - you are the 2nd person from the May 27th sailing to say that the previous two sailings did not make it to Tracy Arm - I was on the May 20th sailing and we did in fact, sail Tracy Arm - however, we did not get close to the Sawyer glacier, not even within a long "eye-shot". I was a bit jealous of the sailings before and after that made it to Dawes, though I certainly loved and appreciated the beauty of Tracy Arm - glacier or no glacier!

It's funny - you are the 2nd person from the May 27th sailing to say that the previous two sailings did not make it to Tracy Arm - I was on the May 20th sailing and we did in fact, sail Tracy Arm - however, we did not get close to the Sawyer glacier, not even within a long "eye-shot". I was a bit jealous of the sailings before and after that made it to Dawes, though I certainly loved and appreciated the beauty of Tracy Arm - glacier or no glacier!

One of our cruisers (SheriffJoe) sailed on the 5/20 sailing and reported no Tracy Arm. Very interesting indeed! Beautiful either way, but I am envious if you made it to Tracy! Sawyer would be a dream come true for sure [emoji2]

Edited by alainamarie

One of our cruisers (SheriffJoe) sailed on the 5/20 sailing and reported no Tracy Arm. Very interesting indeed! Beautiful either way, but I am envious if you made it to Tracy! Sawyer would be a dream come true for sure [emoji2]

SherrifJoe is confused... definitely went through Tracy Arm. :)

Enjoying the pics & review - thanks for taking the time!