Photo Review: Celebrity Solstice to Alaska 5/27/16

alainamarie

The captain has to make a decision prior to entering either arm, if you start to enter (and proceed) Tracy Arm, you cannot then decide to enter Endicott (and vice versa). It's one or the other, once you are in, you are in. We actually had dinner with the staff captain on the May 20th sailing who explained this. I am guessing that they made the decision to do Endicott instead to give passengers on the 5/27 cruise a view of the glacier... knowing that after entering and sailing Tracy Arm on 5/20 that there was too much ice to get a view of Sawyer glacier.

To summerize:

May 13 Solstice sailing - Endicott Arm, view of Dawes glacier

May 20 Solstice sailing - Tracy Arm, no view of Sawyer glacier

May 27 Solstice sailing - Endicott arm, view of Dawes glacier

Thanks for the summary, not so confusing now.:D

The captain has to make a decision prior to entering either arm, if you start to enter (and proceed) Tracy Arm, you cannot then decide to enter Endicott (and vice versa). It's one or the other, once you are in, you are in. We actually had dinner with the staff captain on the May 20th sailing who explained this. I am guessing that they made the decision to do Endicott instead to give passengers on the 5/27 cruise a view of the glacier... knowing that after entering and sailing Tracy Arm on 5/20 that there was too much ice to get a view of Sawyer glacier.

To summerize:

THANK YOU! I needed this summary when I was on the cruise! [emoji3]

To summerize:

June 3rd Solstice sailing - Endicott Arm, Dawes Glacier

DSC02257.jpg

Next port: Skagway! We had GORGEOUS and very warm weather. For this port, we chose a non-Celebrity excursion. We went to Alaska Green Jeeps and rented a 4 door jeep for $220/day. You do need to fill up the jeep prior to returning. This is a great value for 4 people, so we were very excited to explore the area via jeep instead of the train. I must say, the train is a GREAT option because you can get on the train RIGHT at the dock! Our ship was sooooooooooooooo far away from the city. Ok, I'm being very dramatic because we do not have mobility issues, but it is quite a trek by foot.

Our jeep:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our first stop in the jeep had great views of the ship area..

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bye Lake Bennett!

ry%3D400

Nice roadside waterfall on the drive back.

ry%3D400

Snow is a big deal for this south Louisiana gal.

ry%3D400

Town of Skagway...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This is a must-stop... such fresh and delicious popcorn! Brought home some carmel corn. YUM!

ry%3D400

This concludes our BEAUTIFUL day in Skagway. We got back on the ship after returning the jeep and enjoyed our last night in the MDR with our WONDERFUL wait staff. We miss Rogelio!

To summerize:

Some pictures from the May 20th sailing I took while Solstice was in Tracy Arm

521731835_IMG_07091024x768.jpg.06ff83fa3182901bb402061ce2e4d39c.jpg

586954266_IMG_07671024x768.jpg.d65d6824b78abe0ef712d32c9b52ab50.jpg

1101378662_IMG_07871024x768.jpg.46414e4a024b1b25a5ffbbd427620df1.jpg

I see you found the Worlds Smallest Desert! LOL

You're right about that! We didn't walk into it, just took some quick shots. They also had a bathroom not fit for humans. [emoji13]

Some pictures from the May 20th sailing I took while Solstice was in Tracy Arm

Thanks for the photos! I've gathered that your cruise was the only one in May to actually enter. I'm hoping we didn't miss much, but sadly I'm sure we did!

Edited by alainamarie

Thanks for the photos! I've gathered that your cruise was the only one in May to actually enter. I'm hoping we didn't miss much, but sadly I'm sure we did!

What is the difference? I know that Tracy and Endicott Arms' start from the same spot, but go off in different directions. So at Endicott we just saw the other side of the mountains on one side as we would have from Tracy Arms. Both have a glacier at the end. But people keep saying that we missed out by going into Endicott rather than Tracy Arms. I thought Endicott was a gorgeous and I'm happy we went that direction because we were able to get quite close to the glacier.

What is the difference? I know that Tracy and Endicott Arms' start from the same spot, but go off in different directions. So at Endicott we just saw the other side of the mountains on one side as we would have from Tracy Arms. Both have a glacier at the end. But people keep saying that we missed out by going into Endicott rather than Tracy Arms. I thought Endicott was a gorgeous and I'm happy we went that direction because we were able to get quite close to the glacier.

I found this image on Google, it helped me understand more. I'm just taking a screen shot from my iPhone, so I hope it's clear enough.

ImageUploadedByForums1465767902.059246.jpg.f9db5a6120c9b1fd88f3357f5e8ec092.jpg

Edited by alainamarie

To summerize:

So I'm confused then about the ship's excursion that transfers you to the catamaran. If the goal of the captain is to show a view of the glacier from the ship, why would one book the catamaran tour & pay extra for it?

So I'm confused then about the ship's excursion that transfers you to the catamaran. If the goal of the captain is to show a view of the glacier from the ship, why would one book the catamaran tour & pay extra for it?

The catamaran tour will take you right up close to the Glacier where as the ship cant get very close, also they cruise the Arm right up next to the Granite walls as well as right up close to any bears or other wildlife that's spotted.....also they cruise up a couple of rivers sometimes the ship can't go to so its a MUCH more up close experience than you get on the ship.....experiences like actually touching a iceberg floating by, stopping to look at a harbor seal chilling on an iceberg and many other possible scenarios is why people do this as none of this can be done from the cruise ship....

The catamaran tour will take you right up close to the Glacier where as the ship cant get very close, also they cruise the Arm right up next to the Granite walls as well as right up close to any bears or other wildlife that's spotted.....also they cruise up a couple of rivers sometimes the ship can't go to so its a MUCH more up close experience than you get on the ship.....experiences like actually touching a iceberg floating by, stopping to look at a harbor seal chilling on an iceberg and many other possible scenarios is why people do this as none of this can be done from the cruise ship....

I wouldn't have missed the catamaran tour for the world - its so beautiful - and the people wonderful - Hot chocolate. tea and coffee and yummy pastries available free - but also some goodies to buy - I own a salmon company and still bought a salmon cookbook - :p

Loved this excursion so much and we were so right up there when the glacier calved several times - just perfect!