Photo Review: Celebrity Solstice to Alaska 5/27/16

alainamarie

My final post about this fantastic vacation. I had not taken a day off from work in over 6 months and boy, was this trip worth it!

In the beginning of this review, I discussed food, cabin, favorite places, and service. I will not be going into great detail with this again to avoid redundancy.

Overall cruise experience -

Great cruise and an improved experience from my previous Celebrity cruise on Connie in Dec 2014. While both trips were great, this one excelled in service, food quality, and cabin choice. We ran into virtually zero bumps along the way. My two gripes that come to mind were the spa (only made 1 trip for a tension zone massage) and internet package. No, the internet package was not mine, it belonged to my friend's 16 year old with whom I shared a room. Both of these items are the only slightly negative experiences and quite honestly, they are both luxury items so I hate to even list them.

I asked the 3 friends I cruised with to rate this cruise experience on a scale from 0-10 and all 4 of us gave this an 8.5. We loved it and wouldn't change much about our experience. I would also recommend this to any age or physical condition because there truly is something for everyone.

Cabin -

We were so pleased with our cabin location and balcony. We enjoyed the even larger balcony by removing the partition between rooms. It was a nice time to select concierge because of the few extra perks Celebrity has recently added. Not sure it's worth the extra money for the future, but if I was given a good deal, I would definitely book this again. Attendant was good and not clingy. Canapes were far more enjoyable than I expected. Fruit ended up wasted on us unfortunately.

Spacious enough with ample storage for two people. I have a high standard for cleanliness and this is the one area I think I could have been more impressed. Shower area had some hair that was not ours and the room itself was slightly dusty, but neither of these are deal breakers.

Food -

This is the one topic everyone seems to talk the most about. We did not do any specialty dining, I think it's a joke. I feel like I pay a pretty penny for my cruise and it's the principal of having to pay extra for a dining experience that just bugs me. I do think the package for 3 meals for $99 is a great value if you want to try something extra special. I truly believe cruise lines are pushing people out of the MDR to buy dining packages or specialty dining meals to capitalize on...well, capital. We had an excellent select dining experience EVERY NIGHT which goes to show you, the MDR is indeed, not dead. We were never approached to purchase a specialty meal package or make reservations. We were also never approached to upgrade our beverage package (will discuss in a bit, but we already upgraded upon boarding). We had friends who loved Murano, but didn't love Tuscan Grille or Silk Harvest. I was with a teenager, so ocean view cafe became a frequent stop which is unusual for me. I was always impressed with the buffet... I loved the Indian fare and sushi. They loved the pizza and fries. Mast grill had an EXCELLENT burger. Overall, I cannot complain.

Room Service -

This department always gets it right. They call you when the food is on the way. Sometimes you get a call after the food has been delivered to ensure you received everything. They typically always get it right. Eating breakfast on your balcony with views for miles.... THAT is vacation to me. I do not always spring for a balcony, but I enjoy room service on my balcony when I do.

Beverage Package -

Upgraded to premium as soon as we sat down at the martini bar just about 60 seconds after being on the ship. We only made one trip to molecular bar and enjoyed it. I LOVE the martini bar and it is always entertaining. Ensemble lounge was nice if you are looking for a more low key vibe. We also used the bar in ocean view cafe quite a bit and found that there was someone always asking if you want a beverage. We even enjoyed the house pinot noir that we always seemed to order in ocean view cafe. Sommelier in MDR was great, but sure do wish I knew to order La Crema the first few nights. Waited to long and they were out. Cafe al bacio... what a gem this place is! Hardly went up to the counter unless there was no seating. Quick service as soon as you sit down. I think I had 20 lattes on this cruise and yes, I wish I was joking. Love the chocolate croissants and blueberry muffins.

Service -

This is where the Solstice stands out above Connie. Everyone seemed happy to be there working, I felt like the staff truly cared that you had a good experience. This was the first cruise where I really did notice just how hard the wait staff works. We're talking 16 hour days sometimes. Nonetheless, we appreciate their hard work.

We felt like our cabin attendant made every effort to be efficient without being overbearing. He even changed our sheets almost daily! Unnecessary but a nice touch.

Entertainment -

I feel like I have one word... eh. I do not cruise for the shows, but it is always a bonus to have something to look forward to. Still wish Rock City would not have been on the night we were in Juneau. Broken Strings was good. The rest... eh.

Ports -

Loved all 4 ports. Victoria is a bit of a dud because of time. Would have loved to see Buchart Gardens and have high tea at the Empress. We did not get to town until 6-ish, so not much time to do much other than walk around or take a tour bus. Our 2 Celebrity excursions were excellent and I highly recommend them to all.

What I Would Change -

I know this was a huge discussion topic during my review, but the one thing I would do different is sail later in the summer to hopefully pass through Tracy Arm and see Sawyer Glacier. I am grateful for seeing Dawes and Endicott, but our cruise was even titled "7 Night Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise" so sue me for wanting to see this. (No comments are necessary for my desire to experience what I came here for, so just consider this :rolleyes:) - I can't be too surprised because we knew we were going pretty early on in the season, but a girl wants what a girl wants. This did not rain on our parade.

Perhaps the next time I do Alaska, I would like to see Glacier Bay just to try something different. I really like the itinerary Millie does out of Vancouver and would likely do something more along those lines, but loved this introduction to Alaska.

Thanks to each and everyone one of you who relived this journey with me. For those of you reading because you are about to go on an Alaska cruise, please enjoy because it is BEAUTIFUL and life is short.

Peace out,

Alaina :D

Thank you for this wonderful review!! It took me a few days to get to the end but I enjoyed every bit of it! I will be sailing on the Solstice June 30, 2017 and I can't wait!:D I have taken so many notes that you all had to offer and plan my trip accordingly! I am counting down the day!! Thanks again for the review and the beautiful pictures!!

LadyTee

Very good review, and a fantastic summary to boot!

Thank you so much! Glad that you read & enjoyed!

Thank you for this wonderful review!! It took me a few days to get to the end but I enjoyed every bit of it! I will be sailing on the Solstice June 30, 2017 and I can't wait!:D I have taken so many notes that you all had to offer and plan my trip accordingly! I am counting down the day!! Thanks again for the review and the beautiful pictures!!

LadyTee

Thank you for investing the time! Wishing you a wonderful cruise and I hope you also do a review! I know it will be a great time.

Thanks for writing such a great report! Truly appreciate all the details and photos- we loved Alaska and hope to return in the next year or two- definitely on one with Glacier Bay, and a one way trip so we can experience Denali. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for writing such a great report! Truly appreciate all the details and photos- we loved Alaska and hope to return in the next year or two- definitely on one with Glacier Bay, and a one way trip so we can experience Denali. [emoji4]

Please let me know when you find exactly what you described because that sounds like my dream itinerary!

I agree with you, you got gyped!

Hubbard is a spectacular glacier too and a bigger glacier... if you see that itin. We went in Sept. the first time and got really close to it. This time for Tracy Arm, we are taking the "up close and personal" catamaran tour since there is a few issues with getting up to Sawyer. September again just to be safe.

My first Alaskan cruise, I didn't think the glacier day would be all that, seen it on TV etc. But I was blown away by the glacier, didn't want to leave even! My best day of our cruise! So keep trying!

So enjoyed your review!

2622uxd.png

I enjoyed reading your review. My first cruise was on the Solstice, so your review brought back pleasant memories and I will be on the Constellation next May so liked your comparisons. BTW, I took a Princess cruise to Alaska because I wanted to see Glacier Bay, which was guaranteed on Princess - fantastic cruise.

I enjoyed reading your review. My first cruise was on the Solstice, so your review brought back pleasant memories and I will be on the Constellation next May so liked your comparisons. BTW, I took a Princess cruise to Alaska because I wanted to see Glacier Bay, which was guaranteed on Princess - fantastic cruise.

I've heard wonderful things about Princess cruiseline in Alaska, so they definitely be a contender with glacier bay as a part of it! Hubbard Glacier is on my "to do" list! [emoji4]

I agree with you, you got gyped!

Hubbard is a spectacular glacier too and a bigger glacier... if you see that itin. We went in Sept. the first time and got really close to it. This time for Tracy Arm, we are taking the "up close and personal" catamaran tour since there is a few issues with getting up to Sawyer. September again just to be safe.

My first Alaskan cruise, I didn't think the glacier day would be all that, seen it on TV etc. But I was blown away by the glacier, didn't want to leave even! My best day of our cruise! So keep trying!

So enjoyed your review!

2622uxd.png

I definitely agree... I did not chose this particular cruise, a larger group booked it and then my smaller group joined in. Loved it, but would definitely not repeat the same itinerary. Something to look forward to!

Thank you for taking the time out to post pictures and tell us about your experience. We will be sailing next week and I appreciate your tips and comments.

Thank you so much for reading! Glad you enjoyed :)

We were on the 5/22/15 cruise and had great weather. We were able to get very far in at Tracy Arm. We then transferred to the small ship excursion. Was great. Since we had been to Victoria as a full day port on a previous cruise the short stop was not too much of an issue. We actually were an hour or so late docking there as a medical emergency sent us a bit off course. More unfortunate for the ill passenger.

This was one of our favorite cruises.

I've heard wonderful things about Princess cruiseline in Alaska, so they definitely be a contender with glacier bay as a part of it! Hubbard Glacier is on my "to do" list! [emoji4]

If you do the southbound route on Princess, you'll get both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your picture review! I thoroughly enjoyed it and am even more excited for our upcoming sailing, 7/15/16! I have been rethinking our excursions thanks to your comments, it's so hard to decide! :confused:

Thanks again!

Kim

Thank you so much for your picture review! I thoroughly enjoyed it and am even more excited for our upcoming sailing, 7/15/16! I have been rethinking our excursions thanks to your comments, it's so hard to decide! :confused:

Thanks again!

Kim

Thanks so much for reading! I am certain your trip will be wonderful! I'm sure you'll be able to sail right on through Tracy Arm ... And for that... I am jealous! :)

Loving the review! We will be on this trip June 24.

I noticed you upgraded to Premium. Did you drink much wine and if so, did you have issues finding wines available that weren't super cheap or way over priced? I read in another thread about people having problems. We prefer Pinot Noir but will try other wines, just don't want to upgrade and then find out they are out of everything except the expensive stuff priced higher than Premium covers.

For anyone else who is a wine drinker I would go around the ship and find out what kind of Premium wines they have that you like before upgrading your package. They attack you as you step on the ship to upgrade (which is not an entirely bad thing as you get it done quickly) but I would hold off next time.

We drink Pinot Noir and of the bars we went to they only had 3 available by the glass. 1 in the Classic and 2 in the Premium. From Day 1 they were out of La Crema. Claimed they didn't get it while in Seattle. That was very disappointing. Then by Day 4 they started running out of the Kendall Jackson at some of the bars. Certain bartenders would be nice enough to go find it but other times we were only offered the Classic pinot. There was one day where I did not have a single drink from the Premium package and so my money was completely wasted that day.

I even tried and found a new wine I liked, a Rioja, and it was also gone within a day or so and the only other option was a cheaper version.

If you ONLY drink wine (and specific types at that) I would seriously consider checking all the bars for what kinds they have on hand and see if you like the classic options. They run out way too quickly.

It is my only gripe on an amazing cruise.

For anyone else who is a wine drinker I would go around the ship and find out what kind of Premium wines they have that you like before upgrading your package. They attack you as you step on the ship to upgrade (which is not an entirely bad thing as you get it done quickly) but I would hold off next time.

We drink Pinot Noir and of the bars we went to they only had 3 available by the glass. 1 in the Classic and 2 in the Premium. From Day 1 they were out of La Crema. Claimed they didn't get it while in Seattle. That was very disappointing. Then by Day 4 they started running out of the Kendall Jackson at some of the bars. Certain bartenders would be nice enough to go find it but other times we were only offered the Classic pinot. There was one day where I did not have a single drink from the Premium package and so my money was completely wasted that day.

I even tried and found a new wine I liked, a Rioja, and it was also gone within a day or so and the only other option was a cheaper version.

If you ONLY drink wine (and specific types at that) I would seriously consider checking all the bars for what kinds they have on hand and see if you like the classic options. They run out way too quickly.

Same issue with La Crema, they claimed to only have 30 bottles total - found this out from my sommelier. So the 30 bottles came and went. We got most use out of our package with martinis & other wine selections.

We were not approached at all about upgrading out package, guess it shows you how every experience is different. Some people say they were harassed about buying the specialty dining package and we were never approached for that too. I miss the days of cruising with no marketing stunts and feeling bombarded with packages.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

This could have been written by me! Pinot Noir is also my usual wine of choice. We'd upgraded to Premium prior to our Spring Solstice (Honolulu-Vancouver) sailing. I'm not a Kendall-Jackson fan and, although I enjoy La Crema (a wine I can purchase by the bottle at home for under $20) I couldn't believe it was on the Premium list, and it was gone soon after sailing day. The nice Spanish Rioja that you mentioned, which I'd enjoyed on a previous sailing,wasn't available at all.

I ended up paying $4-8 more per glass for drinkable selections. It was (also) my only gripe with the wonderful cruise. If Celebrity thinks that this pricing and limited per-glass selection encourages bottle purchases, they're wrong...at least for me.