1st time Suite ??s

ptcgal

Upgraded to signature suite on Zuiderdam 10/30/16. So excited. 1st time evahh!!! Some questions.

1. Get emails from HAL hailing new amenities in Suites but website does not show them. Are they on all ships or only on Konningsdam?

2. What does a Concierge do or what is the advantage of using service?

We have only sailed 1 time on Hal to Alaska and not familiar with all Hal ships. Thanks.

Upgraded to signature suite on Zuiderdam 10/30/16. So excited. 1st time evahh!!! Some questions.

1. Get emails from HAL hailing new amenities in Suites but website does not show them. Are they on all ships or only on Konningsdam?

We have only sailed 1 time on Hal to Alaska and not familiar with all Hal ships. Thanks.

Go to HAL site and click ONBOARD on the home-page top banner, then click Staterooms and Suites - you'll get a thumbnail of each type with and an "Amenities" icon which will open a window with a description of the suite and amenities.

Your question regarding a concierge puzzles me as in my experience, only Neptune or Pinnacle Suites have the use of the Neptune Lounge and the concierge.

In my recent experience, the Signature Suites don't provide the more tangible amenities like a private lounge included for the higher-priced suites, but there are a few small things like slippers in the room.

They do, however, provide much more space than other room types, with double sinks, big balconies and both a tub and a separate shower. You will enjoy the space!

I haven't made much use of the telephone concierge. The times I tried it was a waste of time. Called the telephone concierge to make reservations at Pinnacle. All she did was transfer the call. I might as well have called the Pinnacle/reservations number directly.

Even the Neptune Lounge concierges vary. Most of the time they're very good. One time I asked to pre-order dinner on the balcony and she took the order in the morning before we left the ship for the day. The other time, I was told I could arrange that by calling room service.

I haven't made much use of the telephone concierge. The times I tried it was a waste of time. Called the telephone concierge to make reservations at Pinnacle. All she did was transfer the call. I might as well have called the Pinnacle/reservations number directly.

Even the Neptune Lounge concierges vary. Most of the time they're very good. One time I asked to pre-order dinner on the balcony and she took the order in the morning before we left the ship for the day. The other time, I was told I could arrange that by calling room service.

I agree with the variance of Neptune concierges. Same issue I had - some times they will go out of their way to order your dinner on the balcony, while others cannot be bothered. Guess who got a tip at the end of the cruise and who did not!

Another common variance - exchanging the gift bottle of champagne. Some concierges will get you a bottle of wine, some will only give you soda or water, while others no exchange!

I wish HAL would standardize their training so that things are more consistent from ship to ship - hate having to figure it out by ship (on a number of things).

I agree with the variance of Neptune concierges. Same issue I had - some times they will go out of their way to order your dinner on the balcony, while others cannot be bothered. Guess who got a tip at the end of the cruise and who did not!

Another common variance - exchanging the gift bottle of champagne. Some concierges will get you a bottle of wine, some will only give you soda or water, while others no exchange!

I wish HAL would standardize their training so that things are more consistent from ship to ship - hate having to figure it out by ship (on a number of things).

Mornin' Dave,

Since we started booking aft SBs, it's more expedient to just drink the champagne. :)

The SS suite on Zuiderdam is a wonderful cabin, but it's only a "suite" with respect to its size. There are no actual "amenities" that go with it that you would not get in any other cabin. You will not have access to the Neptune Lounge, for instance. The "phone concierge" button is useless - don't even bother. Again, though, it's a wonderful cabin! It has the same bathroom that Neptune suites have - with double sink, tub and separate shower stall, a very nice sized veranda and a large door in addition to the large window. The sitting area is a long sofa and two chairs - identical to that in the Neptunes but with a bit less floor space. Closet area does not include the separate dressing room that the Neptunes have, but still, this is a sizeable cabin, and you will enjoy it! Just keep your expectations to a wonderful CABIN, not necessarily any special "amenities".

Edited by Moriah