Periscopes & Pictures: Anthem of the Seas June 11 – 16, 2016

Following as I will be in Bermuda in September and also on The Anthem in June of next year.

Great, I'll try to cover both :)

Following.... Can't wait to see your review, Have a Fantastic Trip!

Thank you!

following along her and on Periscope. We head out October 29. Enjoy your nephews!

Thanks, I only get to see them once a year at best so am really looking forward to spending the time with them.

Will be on the Anthem in July. We booked I Fly for all 8 of us on line. When we were on the Quantum, we also booked on line, and wanted to do it a second time by booking on board. After our first I Fly, the next day we went to book a second time. They saw in the system we already did it once, so they would not make us another reservation so as to leave that spot open for someone who has not done it yet, which is the right thing to do. However, he did say that if I wanted to hang out there at check in, I could go a second time by taking the spot of a "no show". I said thanks because I had other things to do.

I would have no problem waiting in the stand by line if need be so that someone who hasn't been able to get a reservation can. Thanks for the info!

Speaking of a "notepad and Pen", bring them on the cruise. They no longer provide them. At least on our Quantum cruise! We asked our stateroom attendant to get us a pen and paper pad,(I always take my own but needed more) After two days he gave us 1 and apologized it took so long. He said they no longer have them for guests, and he gave me one from the crew quarters area.

Good to know! I have pen & paper now packed. Thanks

All errands and shopping now finished...at least until I remember some other "must have" item. I absolutely can't wait until tomorrow morning to pick up my nephews from the airport! I only see them once a year at best so I'm really looking forward to seeing them and then experiencing the cruise through their eyes. Tonight is probably not a good night to count on much sleep.

For our 4pm sail away on Saturday we have requested that PTZtv zoom in on the starboard side near the North Star bar so we can wave to family and friends as we sail out of New York Harbor. The boys and I along with some of our roll call members will be waving and will be holding this poster board sign I made yesterday. The letters are metallic so it was hard to get a good picture. The blue letters are all actually the same color and the letters for Bermuda are dark red, not orange. I haven't done anything like this since elementary school and I enjoyed cutting some of the pieces out and putting it all together. Usually when I put together a poster or sign it is on the computer for work, this was much more fun! :D

If someone could get a screenshot or two of the sail away for us that would be awesome!

SailAway%20Sign.jpg

What is your user name on periscope? I'd love to follow along and I've either overlooked it in this thread or just cant find it.

My username on Periscope is SeaSetter (MrSeaSetter is my husband, he doesn't scope but likes to watch)

Thank you! Looking forward to following along! We are on the November 10th sailing and can't wait!

Great! Your cruise will be here before you know it. It feels like yesterday we had about as long as you to wait and it seemed like it would take forever. I'll be booking another cruise on Anthem while onboard so the cruise ticker and waiting "forever" will be started yet again :)

Following along, too!

PVD is our old home airport (in fact our house was "condemned" by the state for airport expansion). Sometimes we fly there to visit relatives (just a mile or so away), but we usually fly to Boston and drive down.

DH just said the other day that Anthem is his new favorite ship. We were going to not cruise in 2017, but I don't know how we'll resist. So many ships! So little time!!

Looking forward to your photos!

Yay! Safe travels.:)

Thanks! Our ride to Newark was safe, but 5 hours longer then expected :( but we are in Newark getting ready to head over to the ship in a few hours :D

I will be on this cruise too and I plan to be scoping as well! If you want to follow me too my name is ebaff14

Great! I'm already following you and it will be fun to watch an Anthem scope while on the Anthem :)

Can you post the current Cruise Compass when you get back?

Thanks!

I most certainly will, along with any other paperwork we receive in our cabin.

Following! Have a great trip!

Thanks! It can only get better. It was an interesting trip to Newark...

Following along, too!

PVD is our old home airport (in fact our house was "condemned" by the state for airport expansion). Sometimes we fly there to visit relatives (just a mile or so away), but we usually fly to Boston and drive down.

DH just said the other day that Anthem is his new favorite ship. We were going to not cruise in 2017, but I don't know how we'll resist. So many ships! So little time!!

Looking forward to your photos!

We much prefer PVD (sorry about your house!) over Boston. 45 min to PVD or 60 min in traffic to Boston. I totally agree with the so many ships so little time, and would like to add so many ports too! LOL

TIP: Always leave a day early whether you are flying in or driving to the cruise port.

Yesterday was an adventure driving down from my house in southeastern MA to the Courtyard By Marriott hotel at the Newark Airport in NJ.

We started off a few hours later then I had wanted but since it is not a long ride that was no bother other then meaning we will be stuck in rush hour traffic. The reason we had a late start was due to my Town & Country van being in the garage for routine maintenance, top off fluids, and to make sure it was fine for the trip. The garage had a few emergencies so the van took a bit longer for them to check out.

So we finally got the call that it was ready, loaded it up and hit the road. Just before New Haven we were following an old beat up truck and smelled something burning. We figured that it was the truck, no reason to think it was the van, we could see no smoke, it was driving fine, etc. Less then a mile later I noticed that it was starting to have some trouble like a tire was going down so I was able to get off an exit and into a Park & Ride. As soon as I stopped we knew we had a bigger issue then a possible flat. Smoke and red hot rim & brakes with a caliper completely stuck. All my tools were in our truck, I always have them with me but had forgotten them this time - ARGH! After about 15 minutes trying to work on it with the cheap tire jack Chrysler gives you we saw a pickup truck towing a small trailer pull in next to us and as I looked at the trailer I knew help had arrived. It was a Boy Scout Troop! They are always prepared! They have to have tools! and they did :) 45 minutes hour later we had unstuck the caliper and it was rolling/coasting free. Back on the road - YAY!

We stopped at a rest area to check on it, rolled down windows checking for smoke as we were driving. All was great...for 20 miles. Started smelling the smoke and it was getting hard to roll. Luckily we were right at the exit for Exit 40 (I-95 CT) and owning a trucking company I know there are truck stops there. It took so long to get across the road to the Pilot I was almost in tears. Not one person would let us cross over to the entrance of the Pilot, just kept their front bumper on the rear bumper of the car ahead of them so we were sitting there in the road trying to get across, smoking away and by now the van was filling up with smoke since we were sitting, not moving. I finally said enough and played chicken, making my own way through with people actually having the nerve to honk at me trying to get into a truck stop with a tire billowing smoke - You know their lives are so much more important then anyone else, they couldn't stand having to wait 5 seconds for me to pass? Idiots

So we get parked on a flat spot and get out to look at the tire that had given us trouble and it is cool. The bad tire is now on the other side and the caliper is really froze up hard once again. We bought tools this time and an hour later we were back on the road.

We had 85 miles more to go and since the van was having problems I wasn't going to go on the Merritt Parkway since there aren't as many exits and facilities. That meant that I was going to go through the Cross Bronx at the end of rush hour, which usually means being on the brakes. I ran in 1st & 2nd gear, used the emergency brake (with hand on release so it wouldn't lock up) and only had to hit the brakes once! Finally we made it to our hotel without further incident. We were hot, greasy, and tired but we made it to Newark and only have 8 more miles to go to get on the Anthem - HOORAY!!!!!!!!

Our 3.5 hour drive turned into an 8.5 hour. If we had left in the morning as we normally do we would have missed the cruise. Always give yourself time for emergencies or unexpected issues and leave at least the day before. We had done everything we could to insure a smooth trip but even the best laid plans can go astray.

So glad you left a day early. I will be doing the same thing in September. I also live in southeastern Massachusetts and i will be driving down to Jersey City the day before our cruise. In the past, we have taken the bus (RCL sponsored) from TF Green, but they have done away with that, so the only option for the trip is to drive to the port. I'm not chancing driving the day of, either. Looking forward to the rest of your report.