Evening Chic on ex-UK Eclipse sailing

kevinyork

This was our first sailing after X dropped formal nights in favour of Evening Chic.

It caused some concern since initial reports from Caribbean sailings suggested a pretty relaxed affair.

We edged our bets and took suits, blazers etc but not Tuxs.

Glad to say we were pleased with the turnout. As a rough estimate 10% of gents wore Tuxs. 40% wore suits and the rest wore smart shirts and pants. Didn't see any jeans and definitely no shorts.

The ladies looked pretty elegant with a mix of cocktail dresses and nice tops and pants.

Whilst it's easy for two chaps to rely on a Tux, we did enjoy that it was less stuffy whilst the vast majority looked pretty smart and certainly didn't go to the other extreme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Kevin, that's good to hear. We will be cruising in August out of Southampton and my DH will be happy to hear he won't be out of place in a smart jacket rather than his tux (or his kilt ;))

We just cruised Solstice ex Seattle to Alaska - my husband was so glad he didn't bring his kilt - he said he would have felt a right pratt :o

Most were in suits - some designer shirts and stylish jeans - pretty cool dress code all round :)

Thumbs up from us and we are usually die hard full on formals!

Edited by Blondie008

This may be the best move X has made. It gives everyone a chance to wear something nice from Tux to modern wow out fits. I agree from our experience almost everyone dressed up some what. Also for a family or couple who have saved and saved to take a cruise, they do not have to run out and buy clothes that will never be wore again but can wear, NICE clothe that will fit their life style.(some we older people may not like, LOL)

Thanks Kevin for the post.

Thank you Kevin, that's good to hear. We will be cruising in August out of Southampton and my DH will be happy to hear he won't be out of place in a smart jacket rather than his tux (or his kilt ;))

We just cruised Solstice ex Seattle to Alaska - my husband was so glad he didn't bring his kilt - he said he would have felt a right pratt :o

Most were in suits - some designer shirts and stylish jeans - pretty cool dress code all round :)

Thumbs up from us and we are usually die hard full on formals!

I am one of those who will miss seeing everyone dressed up on Formal nights (although, to be honest, my husband says he's very happy not to have to schlep the tux).

But I am SO MUCH SADDER not see you fine Scottish gentlemen in your kilts! :(:(

That's something I never see here in Michigan and I really looked forward to it as part of the mystique of cruising. :(

I am one of those who will miss seeing everyone dressed up on Formal nights (although, to be honest, my husband says he's very happy not to have to schlep the tux).

But I am SO MUCH SADDER not see you fine Scottish gentlemen in your kilts! :(:(

That's something I never see here in Michigan and I really looked forward to it as part of the mystique of cruising. :(

Full Highland Dress really is regarded as the appropriate wear for a Black Tie dinner or event such as a Scottish wedding or Ceileidh.

Honestly - my husband would have felt ridiculous and would not have enjoyed the stares. I normally wear a formal gown to match his outfit - with his clan tartan in purse or shoes or both -

Evening chic is for sure not for a kilt - borders on the ridiculous ....

Full Highland Dress really is regarded as the appropriate wear for a Black Tie dinner or event such as a Scottish wedding or Ceileidh.

Honestly - my husband would have felt ridiculous and would not have enjoyed the stares. I normally wear a formal gown to match his outfit - with his clan tartan in purse or shoes or both -

I know but it still makes me sad. :(

Several years ago we were on a Princess cruise and there must have been a group sailing together because on the second formal night they all came in to the dining room together with several people playing bagpipes and all of the men in kilts. It will remain as one of my most special cruising moments!!!!!

Every time I see a man in a kilt it reminds me of that evening.

Oh well, I guess I'm just lucky to have experienced it at all.

Edited by chamima

This was our first sailing after X dropped formal nights in favour of Evening Chic.

It caused some concern since initial reports from Caribbean sailings suggested a pretty relaxed affair.

We edged our bets and took suits, blazers etc but not Tuxs.

Glad to say we were pleased with the turnout. As a rough estimate 10% of gents wore Tuxs. 40% wore suits and the rest wore smart shirts and pants. Didn't see any jeans and definitely no shorts.

The ladies looked pretty elegant with a mix of cocktail dresses and nice tops and pants.

Whilst it's easy for two chaps to rely on a Tux, we did enjoy that it was less stuffy whilst the vast majority looked pretty smart and certainly didn't go to the other extreme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With it being the first cruise after the change, I would guess that many people didn't even know about the change. Those of us on cruise critic are definitely not a majority of cruise passengers. I think as time goes by and more and more people understand that the dress code has changed, we will see more casual dress.

With it being the first cruise after the change, I would guess that many people didn't even know about the change. .

I think it was Kevin's first cruise after the change, which occurred during the last Caribbean season.

Whether passengers are C.C members or not, they still have access to the Celebrity site, where the following can be found:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

"Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities are being introduced, and Evening Chic attire is replacing Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Yes. Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should."

Edited by upwarduk

We boarded the Eclipse on April 17th for the trans-Atlantic and left on May 22nd. So in addition to the TA we were also on the Norwegian Fjords cruise, the two night "Taste of Modern Luxury" and the Iceland/Ireland cruise.

Since we did a B2B2B on the Equinox last fall this was our first cruise series after the move to "evening chic." And quite frankly how someone else is dressed doesn't impact my own cruise experience. But during the evening chic nights we did observe a range of attire from shorts (both on the TA and also the Iceland/Ireland cruise) to formal wear.

[quote=

Since we did a B2B2B on the Equinox last fall this was our first cruise series after the move to "evening chic." And quite frankly how someone else is dressed doesn't impact my own cruise experience. But during the evening chic nights we did observe a range of attire from shorts (both on the TA and also the Iceland/Ireland cruise) to formal wear.

The Equinox TA last fall was still on "Formal nights" - we were on that sailing, there were three (or 4 even?) and both my husband and my cousin had their kilts on. It was still listed as Formal during the TA.

Oh sorry? You meant AFTER this cruise huh? Sorry - mis read it ..

Edited by Blondie008

Hi Kevinyorke. We looked for you in the Martini bar a couple of times but did not sufficiently recognise you sufficiently to approach! We agree with about "Chic" nights although at our sitting in the MDR (deck 4) we thought it was slightly higher than 10% What we did really find interesting was the fact that on night 2 the figure significantly improved. Perhaps people were holding back on night 1 to see what others were doing?. Despite the "Outbreak" we had a really good cruise and sincerely hope that you and your husband did also.:)

Oh dear, we are cruising on 8th July Reflection from Rome and my husband is planning on taking his kilt I hope he does not feel ridiculous any more than someone who still wants to wear their tux .

Some kilts were in evidence on the recent Equinox sailing out of Rome. Everyone I saw had really made an effort on Evening Chic nights.

Thank you for that observation, I do not want to dissuade him as he really enjoys wearing it

Oh dear, we are cruising on 8th July Reflection from Rome and my husband is planning on taking his kilt I hope he does not feel ridiculous any more than someone who still wants to wear their tux .

His choice....

In Alaska we were the only Scots on board and I think there were perhaps a half dozen English at most - (we did enquire)... In Europe I would imagine there would be MUCH more of both - Perhaps less "centre of attention" shall we say.

All kilts in our family are hand made by my sister in law - my husband also has various trews all in his clan tartan - he loves wearing them - but honestly - he was so glad he hadn't brought them to Alaska. Hardly saw any tuxes let alone full Highland regalia.

Personally I don't think "Evening Chic" is a formal dress code - but that's my own opinion - each to their own.

His choice....

In Alaska we were the only Scots on board and I think there were perhaps a half dozen English at most - (we did enquire)... In Europe I would imagine there would be MUCH more of both - Perhaps less "centre of attention" shall we say.

All kilts in our family are hand made by my sister in law - my husband also has various trews all in his clan tartan - he loves wearing them - but honestly - he was so glad he hadn't brought them to Alaska. Hardly saw any tuxes let alone full Highland regalia.

Personally I don't think "Evening Chic" is a formal dress code - but that's my own opinion - each to their own.

Alaskan cruises have a reputation of being the most relaxed (as far as dressing) of all cruises.

Even more casual than the Caribbean.

Edited by chamima