Canada/New England Cruise ms Rotterdam - looking for information

jcfamily

While I have cruised before, I am new to HAL and had a few questions hoping I can get some input from this board. I have cruised on DCL, RCI, and CCL so I know somethings, but I am looking for specific info for HAL and Rotterdam.

I am going in September, leaving from Boston, and wanted to know:

1) What are the two formal nights on that cruise?

2) I see that there are two alternative restaurants on the Rotterdam, Pinnacle Grill and Caneletto's. What nights are the special experiences in the Pinnacle Grill? Are they worth it?

3) Is there any cost to the Dutch Royal High Tea?

4) I understand they serve little bites in some of the lounges? When and where on the Rotterdam?

5) What are the beverage packages? I can't find any info or cost about them.

6) Any suggestions for Boston hotel and embarkation? We are thinking of staying in the Seaport District.

7) Likewise, any suggestions for Montreal hotel and debarkation? We plan to stay an extra day in Montreal and see some sites. We were thinking of the old part of Montreal.

8) Lastly, do you have any tips, information about this ship that would be useful?

Thanks for any help,

Julie

While I have cruised before, I am new to HAL and had a few questions hoping I can get some input from this board. I have cruised on DCL, RCI, and CCL so I know somethings, but I am looking for specific info for HAL and Rotterdam.

Probably the second dinner (early departure form Bar Harbor) and the next to last night... if you get 2.

2) I see that there are two alternative restaurants on the Rotterdam, Pinnacle Grill and Caneletto's. What nights are the special experiences in the Pinnacle Grill? Are they worth it?

There may be a Le Cirque Dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, if that is what you mean by Special. I think the cost is $79pp with the wine parings. Whether it's worth it is a personal choice. Many like it, many would not think it's worth it. It is a well done very special dinner with excellent presentation but not sure what your tastes are.

3) Is there any cost to the Dutch Royal High Tea?

No, just show up.

4) I understand they serve little bites in some of the lounges? When and where on the Rotterdam?

Not sure that they do this on short cruises, but check the Ocean Bar. You may have to ask for them.

Look for Explor4? If you didn't get them with your booking I think they are about $55pp/da, both in a room must purchase. Limit 15 drinks per day, limit on price per drink allowable on the package, so not valid for premium drinks.

6) Any suggestions for Boston hotel and embarkation? We are thinking of staying in the Seaport District.

Check the East Coast Departures Forum

7) Likewise, any suggestions for Montreal hotel and debarkation? We plan to stay an extra day in Montreal and see some sites. We were thinking of the old part of Montreal. Same as above.

8) Lastly, do you have any tips, information about this ship that would be useful?

If you like art there is a self-tour audio iPod that can be checked out form the librarian that will guide you around the artwork on the ship. It would take you about 45 minutes to complete. It tells you where to start and has you pause it a few time until you relocate to another part of the ship.

Thanks for any help,

Julie

Enjoy, m--

Rotterdam doesn't do Le Cirque (which is $49 per person without the wine pairings -- we feel they are not worth an extra $20 per person for 3 glasses of 4 ounces of cheaper wines.

Instead the Rotterdam does de Librije (?) which is $69 or $79 per person.

Appetizers are served during Happy Hour on most ships which is from 4 - 5 PM in the Ocean Bar and the Crow's Nest. Also they are served with regular cocktails starting around 5 PM. Many times we have had to ask for them.

There is a signature beverage card that you can buy. Costs around $55 per person which includes the tips. Each person over the age of 21 in the same cabin must buy the package -- no sharing. You are limited to drinks not costing over $8 each and up to 15 drinks a day. It can also be used to buy the special coffees in the Explorations Café. Only you can decide if it is worth it to buy depending on how much you drink per day.

We haven't sailed this ship, but took the same cruise last September on the Maasdam.

I don't have much to add to the posts above, other than to say that we stayed at the Westin Boston Waterfront. We flew in to Logan and took the free shuttle bus that dropped us off at a stop just a four or five minute walk from the hotel. The following day, we also walked over to the terminal, a bit longer walk but very pleasant. A taxi ride would be short and inexpensive, but we enjoyed the walk.

I haven't stayed in a Montreal hotel for a good number of years, but I normally stayed at the Queen Elizabeth. It's not in Vieux Montréal, but only a few blocks away.

You won't be docking at the normal pier in Montreal. This link provides some of the information (scroll down for the English text):

http://www.port-montreal.com/files/PDF/Croisieres/2016-04-25_fiche-gare-alternative-bilingue.pdf

This change may influence your choice of hotels.

We loved the cruise, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did. We rented cars in Halifax, Charlottetown and Quebec City for DIY tours and would recommend that approach to anyone.

Edited by Fouremco

I also did this cruise on the Maasdam last June. We stayed at the Renaissance (a Marriott hotel) in the Seaport district. A shirt walk to great restaurants on the waterfront. You could walk to the cruise terminal - we took a cab. I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did!

Last time we were on the Rotterdam (April/May 2016) there was a Le Cirque evening aswell as a Librije evening. Cost for le Cirque was indeed $49 without wine and for the Librije $69 with small glasses of wine and $89 with full glasses.

We haven't sailed this ship, but took the same cruise last September on the Maasdam.

I don't have much to add to the posts above, other than to say that we stayed at the Westin Boston Waterfront. We flew in to Logan and took the free shuttle bus that dropped us off at a stop just a four or five minute walk from the hotel. The following day, we also walked over to the terminal, a bit longer walk but very pleasant. A taxi ride would be short and inexpensive, but we enjoyed the walk.

I haven't stayed in a Montreal hotel for a good number of years, but I normally stayed at the Queen Elizabeth. It's not in Vieux Montréal, but only a few blocks away.

You won't be docking at the normal pier in Montreal. This link provides some of the information (scroll down for the English text):

http://www.port-montreal.com/files/PDF/Croisieres/2016-04-25_fiche-gare-alternative-bilingue.pdf

This change may influence your choice of hotels.

We loved the cruise, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did. We rented cars in Halifax, Charlottetown and Quebec City for DIY tours and would recommend that approach to anyone.

The Queen Elizabeth Hotel is currently closed for renovation. (We're going to Montreal by train this fall, and I'd hoped to stay there for its location.)

A few years ago we stayed in the Auberge de Vieux-Port and loved it. That's a charming area. If you're interested in architecture and archaeology, there's an interesting museum in that area.

For Boston, we stayed in the Seaport Hotel and were very happy with it.

We'll be on Zuiderdam at the same time, and in some of the same ports. I'll wave to you!

Here is another good link with more detailed info about the temporary passenger terminal in Montréal:

"Access to passenger terminal"

https://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-passenger-terminal.html

A recent Veendam review with details about taxi disposal for disembarking passengers:

"Good Cruise on Nice Ship"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=535581

Lastly, you will find a lot of information on Montreal in this Canada New/England link:

"Anything Montreal"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821399&page=21

Seaport Fisgtric

While I have cruised before, I am new to HAL and had a few questions hoping I can get some input from this board. I have cruised on DCL, RCI, and CCL Seaport District in Boston is currently undergoing a huge redevelopement.l ots of construction going on.

3) Is there any cost to the Dutch Royal High Tea?it no added c harge

d charge

7) Likewise, any suggestions for Montreal hotel and debarkation? We plan to stay an extra day in Montreal and see some sites. We were thinking of the old part of Montreal.

Thanks for any help,

Julie

Edited by sail7seas