I should have listened to my gut- now I am hosed

I am a few weeks out from a cruise I booked with a friend. Everything is paid for. She says she has to cancel last minute because of a bs work project (they are paying for her to go to a all paid conference in Colorado). She says she has to cancel the cruise or her company won't reimburse her for her losses.

Now if she just didn't show up I am pretty sure I could go on the cruise by myself at the same rate. But if she cancels I am going to have to pay extra for a single supplemental fee- it is even too late to find somebody to book her spot at a higher rate I think. This was all early saver.

I can't afford to pay double for the single supplemental so I am going to be out the cruise fare and airfare. My cruise insurance doesn't even cover this.

Sorry I am just venting but I just want to cry right now.

I am a few weeks out from a cruise I booked with a friend. Everything is paid for. She says she has to cancel last minute because of a bs work project (they are paying for her to go to a all paid conference in Colorado). She says she has to cancel the cruise or her company won't reimburse her for her losses.

Now if she just didn't show up I am pretty sure I could go on the cruise by myself at the same rate. But if she cancels I am going to have to pay extra for a single supplemental fee- it is even too late to find somebody to book her spot at a higher rate I think. This was all early saver.

I can't afford to pay double for the single supplemental so I am going to be out the cruise fare and airfare. My cruise insurance doesn't even cover this.

Even worse- I agreed to a freakin cruise out of Texas even though I could bicycle my way to the port of Miami.

Oh heavens, I am so sorry! :( I hope you have an amazing trip, regardless! Just know your friend is totally missing out. If I was your friend, I wouldn't abandon ship like that! (hehe, get it? :D) I wouldn't cancel, just so your part doesn't increase; that wouldn't be fair to you! Wish you the best.

Check your fare, most can change pax for $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh heavens, I am so sorry! :( I hope you have an amazing trip, regardless! Just know your friend is totally missing out. If I was your friend, I wouldn't abandon ship like that! (hehe, get it? :D) I wouldn't cancel, just so your part doesn't increase; that wouldn't be fair to you! Wish you the best.

I don't think I can go now if I don't pay her part or the single supplemental. Lesson learned. But I feel horrible right now. I would never do this to somebody.

Even worse- I agreed to a freakin cruise out of Texas even though I could bicycle my way to the port of Miami.

I think you need to tell her to eat the cruise instead of you. She is cancelling. Why should you have to lose all your money? :(

I think you need to tell her to eat the cruise instead of you. She is cancelling. Why should you have to lose all your money? :(

This. There is no way I'd eat the cost because she changed her mind.

If you booked under ES, I thought she wouldn't get any money back anyway, just future cruise credit?

Sorry, but that person is not your friend if they let you get hosed monetarily.

This. What a selfish thing for her to do.

Call Carnival and see if you can figure something out. Even if you have to pay some extra it might be better than losing it all.

So, her boss will reimburse her for what she has spent if she cancels? Why would it matter to him? She can't get a refund anyway.

Have you told her how much it's going to cost you? I would ring up and ask the cruise line what you'd have to pay if she is unable to take the cruise, so you can tell her. She may be downplaying it in her mind so she doesn't feel so bad - if you ring her up and say, "OK, if you cancel, you owe me $....", she may think again.

To be fair, do you know the situation with this conference? If it's a compulsory thing then she might be risking her job by refusing to go, so it may not be as bs as you think.

You cancel just your name off the booking 1st, then when she cancels it looks like she lost double the money. Have her give your half back to you when she get reimbursed.

Edited by GROUCHPUSS

This. There is no way I'd eat the cost because she changed her mind.

If you booked under ES, I thought she wouldn't get any money back anyway, just future cruise credit?

at a few weeks out neither one of them will get anything back.

op, no point in friend (ex in my book) cancelling, just tell her to be a no show. at least nothing changes for you that way.

Edited by Computer Nerd

You cancel just your name off the booking 1st, then when she cancels it looks like she lost double the money. Have her give your half back to you when she get reimbursed.

wow, have much integrity :confused: now you want to lie to the company the friend works for and steal from them. :mad:

Her cancelling now a few weeks before the cruise will only get her port charges and fees refunded. Same as a no show. But her cancelling screws you since you have to pay double fare. Get together and call Carnival on a speaker phone it will be explained to both and maybe she will understand and not cancel. Then go solo and have the time of your life. I love cruising solo. I'm on a 4 day Liberty June 23rd, my 7th solo cruise in 2 1/2 years. 3 more booked thru January 2017 all solo.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Her cancelling now a few weeks before the cruise will only get her port charges and fees refunded. Same as a no show. But her cancelling screws you since you have to pay double fare. Get together and call Carnival on a speaker phone it will be explained to both and maybe she will understand and not cancel. Then go solo and have the time of your life. I love cruising solo. I'm on a 4 day Liberty June 23rd, my 7th solo cruise in 2 1/2 years. 3 more booked thru January 2017 all solo.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If I understand the OP, her friend (I use the term loosly) isn't concerned about not getting a refund from CCL - she's advising that if she cancels the cruise her company will reimburse her anything she's lost due to them springing this conference on her after she's paid for the cruise.

OP - maybe she can just show her supervisor the CCL invoice showing that she's paid for the cruise - I can't imagine that they have to actually see something that says she officially canceled it. Maybe the invoice and a copy of CCL's policy on canceling and refunds will suffice. Then she could just be a no-show. Either way she's out the $$ and her company should reimburse her. Worth a shot anyway.

I wish you the best with this - it stinks all the way around.

I would make it clear to her that if she officially cancels, not only is Carnival going to keep her money because the cruise is so soon, but they are then going to turn around and charge you for the single supplement. I would think she could just show her cruise statement showing she paid for it and a copy of Carnival's cancelation policy showing she won't get a refund of anything other than the port fees and gratuities from them and it should be enough documentation for her employer.

If i were her, I would also tell my boss that if I officially cancel the cruise then the cruiseline will charge my friend my fare (because they probably won't understand 'single supplement') too on top of keeping my money. I'd offer to show whatever paperwork showing I paid my fare and that I wouldn't be getting a refund because I was beyond the cancelation period.

Another alternative is do you have another friend that might want to join you last minute? I know you can't do a name change, but if you had another friend who could be added to the booking, you wouldn't fall into that single supplement thing with them paying their own fare.

If you are only a few weeks away, is the cruise not paid for? Who actually paid for it, you or her? (what I mean is who booked it, and who "owns" the reservation?) If you own the reservation, than it's easy. Don't cancel her, check to see if you can transfer it to another person, and if not, just let her know she is out of luck. If She owns the reservation, and cancels, let her know, you expect her to cover the cancellation fees. If not, guess you lost a friend.

Only the owner of the reservation can cancel.

Next, go on the cruise yourself. She would just be a no show.

Lastly, never be the vacation planner with friends. Learned this years ago in college that People will easily cancel out on your plans, leaving you high and dry.

A few weeks out, I don't believe she gets a refund, so you wouldn't have to come up with "single supplement". Your cabin is paid in full.

When your friend calls to cancel her portion, they will just refund port fees but not the cruise fare, so you are still good to go.

Then go on a solo cruise and enjoy making new friends.....or as an option, pay the charge to change passenger and take someone else - who would reimburse your original friend....if she's lucky!

A couple questions:

Who booked the cruise?

Which fare was booked?

Were gratuities prepaid?

How was it paid (your credit, gift card...)

I had a similar incident a couple years ago. I had booked and paid for it. I gave her a copy of the booking and the cancellation policy which she gave to her boss to be reimbursed. I did not cancel her, but had her be a no show. After the cruise I called Carnival, and they send a refund for her prepaid gratuities, port fees and taxes.

Good luck! Hopefully this won't ruin your cruise.