I should have listened to my gut- now I am hosed

I am a few weeks out from a cruise I booked with a friend. Everything is paid for. She says she has to cancel last minute because of a bs work project (they are paying for her to go to a all paid conference in Colorado). She says she has to cancel the cruise or her company won't reimburse her for her losses.

Now if she just didn't show up I am pretty sure I could go on the cruise by myself at the same rate. But if she cancels I am going to have to pay extra for a single supplemental fee- it is even too late to find somebody to book her spot at a higher rate I think. This was all early saver.

I can't afford to pay double for the single supplemental so I am going to be out the cruise fare and airfare. My cruise insurance doesn't even cover this.

Sorry I am just venting but I just want to cry right now.

It's ok you just learned a valuable lesson $$$$$$.

I don't have any advice beyond what's already posted but wanted to offer some moral support and sympathy. I would be devastated.

What does floosey..er, I mean friend, say when you tell her you're screwed out of your money? So sorry, too bad? Seriously?

I sincerely hope you find a way to work this out. At the very least, she should cover the extra costs from her work refund.

Barring that, I hope she steps in dog poop with bare feet every morning she wakes up for the rest of her life. On your behalf :)

Sure hope you can get it worked out.

Edited by DenaInWyo

Thank you guys. She has offered to give me $1500 which does not cover the cruise and airfare but it is better than nothing. I am more sad about losing a friend and a great cruise. Things could be worse. I guess I am lucky to have been in a position that I could lose this. So many have it worse.

I swear I will stop complaining after this, but this actually made me lose my temper. I reminded her how she begged me to go on the trip while she was watching a certain show (NCIS not that it matters) and she said "no I was watching law and order). What? Why does that matter. She knew she was screwing me over and what was on tv does not matter. Anyway turns out she only booked this cruise to make an ex jealous.

I will take the $1500 and move on and do better in the future.

Thank you guys. She has offered to give me $1500 which does not cover the cruise and airfare but it is better than nothing. I am more sad about losing a friend and a great cruise. Things could be worse. I guess I am lucky to have been in a position that I could lose this. So many have it worse.

I swear I will stop complaining after this, but this actually made me lose my temper. I reminded her how she begged me to go on the trip while she was watching a certain show (NCIS not that it matters) and she said "no I was watching law and order). What? Why does that matter. She knew she was screwing me over and what was on tv does not matter. Anyway turns out she only booked this cruise to make an ex jealous.

If you paid and she paid, it's all paid. If she's a simple no show, there is no new single supplement to be paid, and she'll get taxes and port fees returned at some point. Cancelling is what is causing the problem at this late date. Carnival will keep her part, you get stuck with the extra single supplement so basically Carnival gets paid twice. Just have her be a no show. I don't understand why she needs to pay you $1500.

p.s. Are you cancelling too? Is that what her offer is about?

Edited by RuthlessBoss
question at the end

She isn't cancelling so she can rebook and take the cute coworker on the cruise? Sorry OP plus if $1,500 doesn't cover all of your expenses I wouldn't accept that. She needs to cover your total cost.

Would the $1500 cover the single supplement? If so, put it toward that and still go. Then the cruise isn't lost!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Would the $1500 cover the single supplement? If so, put it toward that and still go. Then the cruise isn't lost!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

She won't need to pay a supplement if the friend doesn't cancel but remains a no show.

What insurance did you have? We usually get insurance that covers for cancelling due to work reasons and covers the single supplement for the person not cancelling if the reason for the cancellation is covered. Have you checked with the insurance company to make sure it is not covered?

Yes, this! I've been shopping insurance for our next cruise and have seen this included in a lot of them. If a cabinmate has to cancel due to a covered reason, the insurance also covers the single supplement cost. OP should really check into this. It wouldn't hurt to call her insurance company and ask.

OP, take the money and take the cruise by yourself. And maybe drop a hint or two to the suitor she is trying to connect with......he needs to know what he's getting himself into.

I am sorry for the horrible lesson that has been forced upon you. I would take the $1500 and run. I would be more hurt by the betrayal of a "friend" than I would be the loss of money.

The good thing is you get to still wake up in the morning and be you, but she will still have to be who she is. I am a firm believer that everyone gets what is coming to them at some point, and she will get karma kickback at some point.

OP, take the money and take the cruise by yourself. And maybe drop a hint or two to the suitor she is trying to connect with......he needs to know what he's getting himself into.

this is what i would do. i know you're going through a lot of emotional feelings but the cruise is paid for. TAKE IT and take her $1500 for spending money and putting you through this mess. i guarantee you will feel better about this once you get on that ship!!!!

TAKE THE TRIP!!

TAKE THE TRIP!!

I agree that your insurance may cover it. Many policies have cancel for work reasons included. I would call the insurance company. It won't hurt to ask. You may just get $1500 out of the deal.

I would also think that $1500 would be more than enough to cover the solo supplement if she cancels. How much was your cruise fare per person? I would FOR SURE go by myself!

Edited by firemanbobswife

As the cruise was booked under the Past Guest rate and if "a few weeks" is greater than 14 days, then by cancelling the "friend" stands to gain: 1) 25% of the total fare returned by Carnival; 2) full compensation from the employer of the total cruise fare and air fare; 3) possible compensation if the "friend" had travel insurance also; 4) possible future credit with airline; and 5) an all-expenses paid work conference. Even with the offer of $1500 (I'd also make sure it's in cash), it sounds like the "friend" is making money on this deal.

I've also had "friends" like this in the past, operative word being "past". Hopefully your insurance does cover "crappy friend" situations and you can still cruise. Wishing you the best outcome.

After being "hosed" by a former friend on a trip to Maui I now travel alone. If someone else wants to join me, then fine, get their own accommodations. That Maui trip cost me big time, but I went anyway and had a great time. Former friend was ticked that I decided to go on without her. Lesson learned

Edited by kelib

If you want a 54 year old new friend who is loyal to a fault...I'll step in and go with you! I'll take over her booking! I am totally not above begging for an excuse to cruise!

If you want a 54 year old new friend who is loyal to a fault...I'll step in and go with you! I'll take over her booking! I am totally not above begging for an excuse to cruise!

I volunteer also! ;)

OP - I really hope you cruise on your own. You will have a GREAT time!

Absolutely, GO FOR IT. And cross that friend's name off your Christmas card list! :mad:

I think I got to this late but if it's still an option you should get her fired somehow so she has to go or she won't be refunded. My wife did this to another girl and it saved her a lot of money. It also weeded her out of our social network and my wife found a new maid of honor for her first wedding.

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Hopefully, your insurance will cover this mishap. If not, I hope you can afford to go on the cruise by yourself and have a great time. To me, it would be worth the cost to let that "friend" know you don't need her to live a fabulous life. Stay friends on FB though so she can be jealous of your pics. [emoji12]

Sounds like a case for Judge Judy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Judge Judy also crossed my mind, haha. I've seen a few cases involving cruise vacations and 10 out of 10 times, the "friend" canceling is the one that gets the wrath of Judge Judy! [emoji85]