Koningsdam tips for newcomers?

karlth

I'll be sailing on the Koningsdam in a few days and considering it is a brand new ship - any tips from those fortunate to have sailed on it so far? :)

Yes, I would also love tips as we sail on the 12th! For me, I'd love tips on dining (since we are on my time dining), specifically times to go that are less crowded. Also, I can imagine that we will frequent the Dutch café often as I enjoy coffee and my 13 year old daughter will enjoy the treats. Is it always crowded?

Last minute packing advice? Things we need for the stateroom that we wouldn't think of?

Lastly, are there any shows or specialty dining that are inappropriate for a 13 year old to attend, albeit a very well behaved one. :)

Yes, I would also love tips as we sail on the 12th! For me, I'd love tips on dining (since we are on my time dining), specifically times to go that are less crowded. Also, I can imagine that we will frequent the Dutch café often as I enjoy coffee and my 13 year old daughter will enjoy the treats. Is it always crowded?

Last minute packing advice? Things we need for the stateroom that we wouldn't think of?

Lastly, are there any shows or specialty dining that are inappropriate for a 13 year old to attend, albeit a very well behaved one. :)

Ditto. 14 year old daughter here. :)

I'll be sailing on the Koningsdam in a few days and considering it is a brand new ship - any tips from those fortunate to have sailed on it so far? :)

Tips? Don't miss the beautifull dining room. New York deli and pizza is a good alternative to the Lido specialy on seadays. Also don't miss Tamarind, World Stage, and the duo pianists from Billboard on Board. Don't read too much the negatives on this board, explore the ship by yourself. Enjoy your cruise. Don't forget too make many many photos and buy souvenirs. Enjoy your cruise. It's a wonderfull ship. All shows we've seen are appropriate for teenagers. (We skipped the magican).

Dining

1. Tamarind

2. Sel de Mer- menu is the same at lunch/dinner

3.Canaletto- good for sharing

Enjoy her-the production shows in World stage were outstanding,you even can sit on stage and get a different perspective of the show. These seats are open to anyone- not reserved.

If you have a smartphone/ iPad device make sure to sign up for the free Onboard Navigator internal app.

It will show all your purchased excursions and dining arrangements for speciality restaurants.

It also shows your onboard account.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dining

1. Tamarind

Enjoy her-the production shows in World stage were outstanding,you even can sit on stage and get a different perspective of the show. These seats are open to anyone- not reserved.

If you have a smartphone/ iPad device make sure to sign up for the free Onboard Navigator internal app.

It will show all your purchased excursions and dining arrangements for speciality restaurants.

Agree with all of the above.

ALSO -

-As far as the shows go, make sure you definitely see One World. Incredible!

-Culinary Arts Center for dinner was amazing!

Everybody probably has their own thoughts, but for us:

Culinary Arts was wonderful! Great food, friendly staff, and those cocktails (only available there) are yummy! Charge for meal includes all the drinks with the meal.

Tamarind was also a great meal.

I don't think we had a bad meal on the ship although Lido was nothing special.

Sheena in Explorations Cafe was super, she knew our family and our drink preferences within a day. I think when you see the staff getting their coffee there it says something about the coffee.

We didn't find the Dutch Cafe overly busy, but others mentioned they did.

Everybody probably has their own thoughts, but for us:

Culinary Arts was wonderful! Great food, friendly staff, and those cocktails (only available there) are yummy! Charge for meal includes all the drinks with the meal.

Tamarind was also a great meal.

I don't think we had a bad meal on the ship although Lido was nothing special.

Sheena in Explorations Cafe was super, she knew our family and our drink preferences within a day. I think when you see the staff getting their coffee there it says something about the coffee.

We didn't find the Dutch Cafe overly busy, but others mentioned they did.

I'm not a fan of any type of buffet, so what would you suggest for non-buffet breakfast and lunch options?

And, on a side note, we never exchanged for Norwegian (NOK) currency. Is there an ATM in Eidfjord that is convenient? Or can you exchange on board?

Edited by BACHtravels

For breakfast if you have a balcony: roomservice. There is a breakfast card by the navigator you find on your bed in the evening. But take a good look, it's sometimes hide but it is there.

Edited by Third

For breakfast if you have a balcony: roomservice. There is a breakfast card by the navigator you find on your bed in the evening. But take a good look, it's sometimes hide but it is there.

Breakfast can also be enjoyed in an inside cabin. Sure, you get a view with the balcony but I will enjoy someone bringing me coffee and breakfast while all I have to do is throw on a robe, anywhere! :)

Occasionally HAL ships will have an "adult" comedian, but if so there are warnings in the daily On Location.
And, on a side note, we never exchanged for Norwegian (NOK) currency. Is there an ATM in Eidfjord that is convenient? Or can you exchange on board?
Unless you are planning to use local public transportation (bus, ferry) you can probably get by with a Visa credit card, $US, or Euros. (We never needed NOK in Bergen.) Taxis generally take Visa cards. And, you can probably get NOK at the ship front desk. You will pay a little higher exchange rate than at an ATM, but if the amount I'm getting is small, the convenience is worth the extra cost to me.

Edited by jtl513

I'm not a fan of any type of buffet, so what would you suggest for non-buffet breakfast and lunch options?

I did room service each morning (I prefer not having to get dressed before getting my coffee :)). Husband and son were happy to go and browse the buffet, and a couple of mornings they went to the dining room. I really liked the muesli breakfast option and pretty much stuck with that and a pot of coffee for 2 for me. A couple of times they brought me back an Americano from the Explorations Cafe.

We were not at Eidfjord, but at our Norway stops there were ATMs. As was mentioned, credit cards are usually accepted if you have a pin code. Not sure if they would have NOK on board. Even the last day that they were doing the tax refund onboard, the refund was done in Euros or USD.

Many good points have already been raised but I want to add another vote for the Tamarind - it was so good we ate there twice. A few other suggestions:

- Try the fries at the Dutch Cafe - really good. But share an order with someone as not only are the fries big, the portion is too.

- We found the espresso coffees in Explorations to be much more to our liking than those in the Dutch Cafe but coffee is a very personal preference. We did like the drip coffee in the Dutch Cafe and used that when we didn't want the long trek to Explorations.

- Pack earplugs. We needed them in the Queen's Lounge as the volume of the BB King's was hard to take.

- Given the above volume issue with the Queen's Lounge plan your onboard shopping around the band's schedule as the volume is so loud in the shops it is hard to enjoy them when the band plays.

- Do try the pizza in the New York Deli - it is very good. The caprese salad is too.

- Remember that for breakfast you can write things on the room service card (the listed offerings are very limited but if you want something else write it on the card and if they can, they will bring it). And do try the chocolate croissants at breakfast - not to be missed. While we normally would breakfast every day in our room, we didn't on this ship as our balcony room didn't have a coffee table that elevated like the ones we've had on other HAL ships - we just a little table that was not easy to use for eating.

- Getting a table for two during busy times in the MDR can involve a wait. But the beepers are good all the way to the Ocean Bar so ask for what you want and then go enjoy that space until you are called (but sadly, that area only now has a pianist rather than a small band so isn't the experience we've had on other HAL ships). And in the MDR ask for a table away from a service area. Many tables look directly into them which was something we didn't like (and unless we asked, we found that more often than not that was the view we had as the service areas are not well screened off and given the number of people being served, there are a lot of them).

- Consider the unlimited laundry package (applies to all HAL ships, not just K'dam) - we find it is a great way to travel (can pack less and we like going home with so many clean clothe). Book it in advance by phoning HAL as then you might only pay $7.00/day in Europe (I believe it costs more onboard but didn't check as we pre-booked it).

- High tea served in the Queen's Lounge on K'dam is very nice so I'd encourage you to go at least once - very elegant service (a step up from other teas in that space).

- Before booking dinner in the Culinary Arts Center go to one of the free cooking demonstrations and try out the chairs. We did and decided we wouldn't eat there as we found them too uncomfortable for the amount of time dinner would take.

- In late afternoon there is a small buffet of hot appies in the Billboards Lounge (sorry, don't know what time that starts).

Hope you enjoy your cruise. As you can see from the above, there were many things that were good on our cruise but our overall impression wasn't great - this new class of ship didn't have the experience we've had on other HAL ships so isn't a good fit for us in the future. But it seems there are people who like it....as in all things, personal preferences vary.

Our tips would include: Be sure you do not have a connecting room unless you have friends or family staying in the adjoining room. You can hear everything, especially if the people have compromised hearing and talk loudly to each other.

Go to the Lido as soon as they open since lines form due to the fact that they serve all of the food. It is no longer self serve. This seemed to also apply to the pizza station at lunch time.

Go to the theater about 30 minutes ahead of the show since it fills up, especially the early show.

We emptied the refrigerator contents and put it in the cupboard below the glassware since we do not use their mini bar contents.

Our tips would include: Be sure you do not have a connecting room unless you have friends or family staying in the adjoining room. You can hear everything, especially if the people have compromised hearing and talk loudly to each other.

Go to the Lido as soon as they open since lines form due to the fact that they serve all of the food. It is no longer self serve. This seemed to also apply to the pizza station at lunch time.

Go to the theater about 30 minutes ahead of the show since it fills up, especially the early show.

We emptied the refrigerator contents and put it in the cupboard below the glassware since we do not use their mini bar contents.

I would have the cabin steward do the mini-bar moving so that you do not get charged by accident.

We found the MDR very slow at breakfast but as someone noted, room service in a standard balcony room was crowded. So we went mostly to the Lido and it was hit and miss as to when it was crowded.

We liked the pizza but is was often quite a wait.

Do not put any clothes under the bathroom sink. I left two shirts there intending to wash them later. They slipped partly into the waste basket, which we never used for rubbish. But the steward threw them out, thinking that they were indeed rubbish.

We had late fixed dining but found it wa often possible to go to the show at 7 00 before dinner and then not have to rush off.

Keep in mind that Americans and other English speaking guests may be in a minority as they were on the second of our b to b cruises. This can be difficult for the staff who are often communicating in English with other people for whom it may be their second or third language. As it is for most of the staff. So do not be too hard on the staff if they fall short of your own standards of friendliness or efficiency. Making appropriate small talk with guests of many cultures with different expectations cannot be easy.

Dining

1. Tamarind

Do you need data or to pay for wifi to download the app? Would I be able to download it before we leave home? I will be on-board in a week and do not know if my phone will work in Europe nor do I want to pay for it. Thanks for any help.

Do you need data or to pay for wifi to download the app? Would I be able to download it before we leave home? I will be on-board in a week and do not know if my phone will work in Europe nor do I want to pay for it. Thanks for any help.

It isn't an app, it's a website. No data needed, make sure to have airplane mode enabled then turn on wifi.

There is no charge for the app and we downloaded it easily while at the port waiting to board. It can be useful to check things when you are away from your room provided you carry your device with you. However, it is not always correct so we found we could not rely on it - what is in the Daily Navigator is more dependable so if you use the app also check the print version daily.

There is no charge for the app and we downloaded it easily while at the port waiting to board. It can be useful to check things when you are away from your room provided you carry your device with you. However, it is not always correct so we found we could not rely on it - what is in the Daily Navigator is more dependable so if you use the app also check the print version daily.

Seems like that would defeat the purpose of the app - why bother?

Seems like that would defeat the purpose of the app - why bother?
IF it is like what we had on the Eurodam, it's not an app, it's a "web page" on the ship server. You don't have to download anything. It has other useful functions such as checking your on-board account, checking your various reservations, allowing you to read the NYTimes, etc., so even if the activities are not completely correct it is still worth signing up for. Edited by catl331

It isn't an app, it's a website. No data needed, make sure to have airplane mode enabled then turn on wifi.

Could someone please clarify. Is it a downloadable app or a website available on the ship's wifi?