Thoughts on cruising from New York - Miami - Bahamas in December

Hello, I'm planning on a family cruise in December and out of NY as it's cheaper than Miami for the flight ( $1400 difference)

Am I ripping myself off as I'm realizing that we can't do any outdoor ship activities, pool, slides, ropes until the ship reaches a warmer climate as it'll be really cold from the New York to Miami. We can't do them on the way back as well. The family with two boys under 10 will be stuck inside and not being active outside.

Am I correct with this ? Thanks.

Hello, I'm planning on a family cruise in December and out of NY as it's cheaper than Miami for the flight ( $1400 difference)

Am I ripping myself off as I'm realizing that we can't do any outdoor ship activities, pool, slides, ropes until the ship reaches a warmer climate as it'll be really cold from the New York to Miami. We can't do them on the way back as well. The family with two boys under 10 will be stuck inside and not being active outside.

Am I correct with this ? Thanks.

The weather in NY in December is hit or miss. More than likely the outdoor stuff on the ship will be closed for the first 24-36 hours until you're somewhere near the Carolinas. You will more than likely have 3-4 full days of closed slides,etc. You can try looking at flights to PBI (75 minutes away) or FLL (30-40 minutes). I'm from NY too, and the whole idea of a winter cruise is to get away from the cold as soon as you can.

What happens to sailaway if we get socked with a snowstorm? I can't imagine them letting the ship leave the pier.

Assuming it's a 7night cruise. You will loose about 3 days of your vacation.

1 &1/2 days each way in weather too cool for swimming for for most of us.

Hot tubs however will usually be crowed for obvious reasons.

But if this is what you want to do, just be prepared to have a couple of kids that will not be too happy if they love swimming. Unless of course the ship your going on has an enclosed pool. But I'm not too sure if any NCL ship has that outside of the Haven.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this last year on the BA. If outdoor activities are important you might as well fly to FL. Then again, there are facilities for kids (but they will be indoors).

To be fair, we went on the BA to Bermuda on 5/1...and the weather was cooler than our December 2015 trip.

I agree with the above poster that the weather can be hit or miss on departure and return days. But I was on the Gem for Thanksgiving last year (10 days). I was in shorts and tee after day one and on the return it was pretty nice weather on the last day at sea.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to enjoy the ship's food, activities, and shows/entertainment and spend time together as a family, then I don't think it makes a difference. We went on a Scandinavian cruise some years back, it was summer, but still too cold to sit by the pool. Didn't diminish our enjoyment of the cruise.

But if you are looking for sun and water... then you have to decide if losing 3 days out of your cruise is worth it to save money to avoid paying the airfare to Florida.

As I am from NJ- I did the Epic in December, Jewel in June and Breakaway in September and October. I did have temps in the high 40's on my first October day and was in the mid to high sixties by the next morning.

I was considering doing the Dec Breakaway but decided to put a deposit on the Escape because I have not been on it and want to go to Tortola.

I think you have to plan for having a good portion of the cruise inside and not minding in December.

My only rationale really for going to Miami in December is I haven't flown in 5 years and don't do the extra expense that often.

I would try to decide if the flight + hotel costs would be worth a better weather experience.

December is a tricky month...Bahamas and Florida have the same weather, most of the time...can be quite chilly in Dec! I wouldn't do that cruise, but I like heat!

Bahamas are NOT Caribbean....if you could go to the Caribbean, then that's what I'd do!

Edited by cb at sea

For quite some time when NCL first started sailing out of NYC they had a no sail due to snow guarantee that they promoted. I can't ever recall any sailing from NYC cancelled due to snow, but maybe it happened.

You could also look at the Epic in December out of Port Canaveral since it will be sailing there this year starting late November.

Have you by chance looked at flying to orlando and renting a car to get to miami? OR as others have said Fort lauderdale? often cheaper. Or have you looked at Allegiant Air ? they tend to be cheaper. I have done the escape and getaway and highly recommend both. The kids would love the waterslides and ropes course and climbing wall etc. Its winter then, go for the warmth~~

Cruised out of NY in January many times, and you can never predict Mother Nature. Once my DD & BFF were in pool on first sea day-beautiful warm weather the whole trip. Once in June outdoor activities were closed first sea day due to high winds. Leaving Tampa last January, same thing as June from NY, high winds, decks closed. You never know, but as already stated, there are so many things to do onboard

Safe sailing

Well people do not sit in their cabin for the three days.there is plenty to do on the ship and the prices are very attractive after Thanksgiving and before the Christmas rush. As a poster above said even the Bahamas can have cool days that time of year that are definitely not swimming days. Sailing out of NY is special in its own right and if the cost savings are high enough then go for it, if beach/pool days are the most important than go for the Caribbean out of the south. You will be on a cruise, you are going to have a great time wherever you leave from make a decision and ejoy.