I Get Only One Night on the Amsterdam! A Few Questions...

I've wanted to cruise HAL for some time, but I've been comfortable cruising with NCL lately and haven't ventured out. I'll be doing a Pacific Coastal cruise on NCL in September and to get to the embarkation city (Vancouver, B.C.) I'll have one night to get acquainted with the Amsterdam! Once I pulled the trigger and booked it, I got very excited about it!

I have a few questions:

It looks like it's open seating for dinner. I'll be traveling solo and am wondering if I can be seated at a table by myself or if I'll be "encouraged" to dine at a larger table?

How's the food? Very subjective, I know, but I'm thinking of booking one of the specialty restaurants if the MDR food is nothing to write home about.

What is the latest time I can get off the ship once it's cleared in Vancouver?

How does HAL handle gratuities? I assume they will be charged to my on-board account?

Is there anything on or about the Amsterdam that I should be sure and check out with my limited time aboard?

I've never done a one-night cruise before, so this is all unknown to me. Is there anything i need to consider that differs from a "real" cruise?

Does HAL give passengers the option of taking their own luggage off the ship?

Thanks so much!

Are you sure you're on the Amsterdam and not the Nieuw Amsterdam? They are very different classes of ships.

I've only done a 1-night cruise on Princess, but I suspect the experience is very similar to a HAL one nighter. The atmosphere is VERY different than a typical cruise. Very much a 'party' vibe. I'd hate to base my opinion of an entire cruise line from a 1-night cruise.

On that Princess cruise I was by myself. I ate in a specialty restaurant. Much easier and more relaxed. Without hesitation I would do so again in the same situation.

The service charge was indeed on my shipboard account. I actually went to the Front Desk to have extra added to it.

As to luggage - everyone just brought carry on bags. There was no delivery to the cabins and everyone carried off their own luggage.

Are you sure you're on the Amsterdam and not the Nieuw Amsterdam? They are very different classes of ships.

I've only done a 1-night cruise on Princess, but I suspect the experience is very similar to a HAL one nighter. The atmosphere is VERY different than a typical cruise. Very much a 'party' vibe. I'd hate to base my opinion of an entire cruise line from a 1-night cruise.

On that Princess cruise I was by myself. I ate in a specialty restaurant. Much easier and more relaxed. Without hesitation I would do so again in the same situation.

The service charge was indeed on my shipboard account. I actually went to the Front Desk to have extra added to it.

As to luggage - everyone just brought carry on bags. There was no delivery to the cabins and everyone carried off their own luggage.

Thank you for your quick response!

According to my booking confirmation, it's the ms Amsterdam. Is that good or bad or just different?

Yes, I do realize it won't be the same as a longer cruise on the same line. I've certainly never put "party vibe" and "HAL" into the same sentence. LOL. I'm not a party girl, so I suspect I'll be looking for a more quiet spot to spend the evening. I'm looking forward to being on a HAL ship and hoping my understanding is correct they're more old school when it comes to the decor and just the look and feel of the ship.

I'll actually have luggage since I'm board the NCL Pearl the next day. There are at least two others from my roll call who will also be on this sailing. It's a fun way to get to Vancouver!

I've wanted to cruise HAL for some time, but I've been comfortable cruising with NCL lately and haven't ventured out. I'll be doing a Pacific Coastal cruise on NCL in September and to get to the embarkation city (Vancouver, B.C.) I'll have one night to get acquainted with the Amsterdam! Once I pulled the trigger and booked it, I got very excited about it!

I have a few questions:

It looks like it's open seating for dinner. I'll be traveling solo and am wondering if I can be seated at a table by myself or if I'll be "encouraged" to dine at a larger table?

How's the food? Very subjective, I know, but I'm thinking of booking one of the specialty restaurants if the MDR food is nothing to write home about. Food is perfectly fine.

How does HAL handle gratuities? I assume they will be charged to my on-board account?they will charge your room account

Is there anything on or about the Amsterdam that I should be sure and check out with my limited time aboard?

I've never done a one-night cruise before, so this is all unknown to me. Is there anything i need to consider that differs from a "real" cruise?

Does HAL give passengers the option of taking their own luggage off the ship? They prefer people on the one nighter to carry their own luggage.

Thanks so much!

They normally encourage people to share tables . You tell them at the door the number in your party (1). They'll ask where your willing to share . As a solo your most likely to get put at a table for 8 or 10.

Edited by Kamloops50

You may have a problem with luggage for your 1 day cruise.

On all the repositioning cruises that we have been on, HAL requires people doing the 1 and 2 day cruises to take their own luggage off the ship. Reason being -- they aren't suppose to have a lot of luggage for such a short cruise.

You may have to talk to the front desk about being able to put your luggage out the night before since you will have more than 1 small carry-on. Explain to them that you will be sailing on NCL for a longer cruise. Don't know if it will work for you.

On all the repositioning cruises that we have been on, HAL requires people doing the 1 and 2 day cruises to take their own luggage off the ship. Reason being -- they aren't suppose to have a lot of luggage for such a short cruise.

You may have to talk to the front desk about being able to put your luggage out the night before since you will have more than 1 small carry-on. Explain to them that you will be sailing on NCL for a longer cruise. Don't know if it will work for you.

Actually, I was hoping they would give me the option of handling my own luggage! It won't be a problem at all. I haven't done anything but self-debark in several cruises; I just didn't know if HAL allows that.

Thanks!

What about people who tack on the 1-day to a longer cruise and have more than overnight luggage?

A couple of years ago, I did a one nighter and tacked it on to a 14 day cruise. Both were on the Amsterdam. We just had to change cabins after the first day.

OP, I would suggest that you do book the Pinnacle Grill for your one nighter. IMO, the food in the MDR, particularly on a one nighter, is okay to good but it won't wow you. The PG is more likely to wow you. And many of the crew are exhausted from two turnaround days in a row.

I won't say that we experienced a party vibe but it was a very different group of passengers. Young families who were more interested in ship amenities. Lots of kids. Couples who seemed to be more interested in a romantic time together. None of these are bad but different from what we've experienced on longer cruises.

Actually, I was hoping they would give me the option of handling my own luggage! It won't be a problem at all. I haven't done anything but self-debark in several cruises; I just didn't know if HAL allows that.

Thanks!

You can definitely do self disembarkation - no problem.

We have been on a couple of cruises where people boarded for the "coastal cruises". (1, 2, 3 nights). We were on for the full 20 or 33 day cruise in our case.

I did see a difference in the food choices in the MDR. The food was still decent but I was glad we were doing specialty dining for most of the "repositioning nights". If I were on for one day, I think I would book the Pinnacle Grill. The last night can be sold out so I would book it early, if you are so inclined.

Thanks!

In that case you are OK; HAL does self-disembarkation on every cruise as long as you can handle all your luggage without assistance.

A one-day cruise will not accurately reflect what a regular HAL cruise will be like, but you may get an idea about the ships and service. We did a four-day cruise on the QM2 and were told often that it was nut typical of a regular Cunard cruise (and I believe that is true).

The Amsterdam is a smaller ship than what you likely experienced on NCL but it is a lovely ship; it was our first HAL ship.

A couple of years ago, I did a one nighter and tacked it on to a 14 day cruise. Both were on the Amsterdam. We just had to change cabins after the first day.

OP, I would suggest that you do book the Pinnacle Grill for your one nighter. IMO, the food in the MDR, particularly on a one nighter, is okay to good but it won't wow you. The PG is more likely to wow you. And many of the crew are exhausted from two turnaround days in a row.

I won't say that we experienced a party vibe but it was a very different group of passengers. Young families who were more interested in ship amenities. Lots of kids. Couples who seemed to be more interested in a romantic time together. None of these are bad but different from what we've experienced on longer cruises.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I'm a bit of a foodie so will likely make a reservation for the Pinnacle Grill then. Thanks!

You can definitely do self disembarkation - no problem.

We have been on a couple of cruises where people boarded for the "coastal cruises". (1, 2, 3 nights). We were on for the full 20 or 33 day cruise in our case.

I did see a difference in the food choices in the MDR. The food was still decent but I was glad we were doing specialty dining for most of the "repositioning nights". If I were on for one day, I think I would book the Pinnacle Grill. The last night can be sold out so I would book it early, if you are so inclined.

Thanks! I saw the option today to reserve the Pinnacle Grill when I was looking at my booking. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

In that case you are OK; HAL does self-disembarkation on every cruise as long as you can handle all your luggage without assistance.

A one-day cruise will not accurately reflect what a regular HAL cruise will be like, but you may get an idea about the ships and service. We did a four-day cruise on the QM2 and were told often that it was nut typical of a regular Cunard cruise (and I believe that is true).

The Amsterdam is a smaller ship than what you likely experienced on NCL but it is a lovely ship; it was our first HAL ship.

Thank you. Yes, I'll be able to handle my own luggage with no problem.

I'm sure I'll enjoy being on a smaller ship since my cruise in March was on the Epic, which has more than 4,000 passengers!

Thanks!

Thanks so much!

Absolutely!!!

Scott & Karen

they will ask your preference and seat you as requested

How's the food? Very subjective, I know, but I'm thinking of booking one of the specialty restaurants if the MDR food is nothing to write home about.

have always liked the food but the Pinnacle Grill is wonderful especially if you like steak. You can pre-book.

they try to get everyone off by about 10 am

How does HAL handle gratuities? I assume they will be charged to my on-board account?

yes

not really - it is just how you pack for the 1 night

yes and if you prefer, you can disembark 1st

Thanks so much!

hope this helps

According to my booking confirmation, it's the ms Amsterdam. Is that good or bad or just different?

I actually prefer the Amsterdam over the Nieuw Amsterdam. For the most part the cabins are larger and have more storage. She also has passenger self service laundry that the newer ships are missing. Since you're on board for just one night these won't have any impact for you though.

For us, what the Nieuw Amsterdam has going for her is the Tamarind restaurant and adjacent Silk Den lounge. We just prefer the atmosphere on the Amsterdam. To us it is more 'classic HAL'. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I have done the 1-night cruises, mostly on Princess, but I also did 1-night cruise on the Westerdam as well. I will be doing this 1-nighter also combined with the NCL Pearl coastal!

The Amsterdam cruise can be booked as part of a full Panama Canal cruise all the way to Vancouver, so for MANY people onboard it won't be a 1-night cruise, but rather the last night of a long voyage. Thusly, a lot of people go to bed early in anticipation of the next day's travels. I will be with a small group of friends, so this doesn't bother us as we make our own party. On Princess, the 1-night Saturday cruises are much more lively in the evenings, especially in the night club. Because it's part of the Panama Canal cruise, the ship will likely still offer luggage service at the end of the cruise.

Thank you!

No, I don't think I'll want to get off first because that would sitting n the holding area while I wait to check in to the Pearl. I'd rather be sitting on a cruise ship while I'm waiting! :D

You can always ask at the front desk about a delayed disembarkation and explain why and see what they may say. Would guess you would have to more than likely be out of your room.

Anyone know if Vancouver is a zero-out port like FLL so she would have to get off to get the ship completely cleared?

I actually prefer the Amsterdam over the Nieuw Amsterdam. For the most part the cabins are larger and have more storage. She also has passenger self service laundry that the newer ships are missing. Since you're on board for just one night these won't have any impact for you though.

For us, what the Nieuw Amsterdam has going for her is the Tamarind restaurant and adjacent Silk Den lounge. We just prefer the atmosphere on the Amsterdam. To us it is more 'classic HAL'. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the explanation. I'm looking forward to seeing a "classic HAL" ship. :D

I have done the 1-night cruises, mostly on Princess, but I also did 1-night cruise on the Westerdam as well. I will be doing this 1-nighter also combined with the NCL Pearl coastal!

The Amsterdam cruise can be booked as part of a full Panama Canal cruise all the way to Vancouver, so for MANY people onboard it won't be a 1-night cruise, but rather the last night of a long voyage. Thusly, a lot of people go to bed early in anticipation of the next day's travels. I will be with a small group of friends, so this doesn't bother us as we make our own party. On Princess, the 1-night Saturday cruises are much more lively in the evenings, especially in the night club. Because it's part of the Panama Canal cruise, the ship will likely still offer luggage service at the end of the cruise.

I'm glad to hear that it can be booked as part of a longer cruise. That should reduce the party vibe we were talking about. It was suggested on our roll call for the NCL Pear Pacific Coastal cruise I'll be embarking on as I get off this one. For those of us who love cruising, this will be the perfect mode of transportation. I love the idea of taking a cruise to get to my cruise. :D

You can always ask at the front desk about a delayed disembarkation and explain why and see what they may say. Would guess you would have to more than likely be out of your room.

Anyone know if Vancouver is a zero-out port like FLL so she would have to get off to get the ship completely cleared?

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll ask them. Of course I don't want to get in their way as their preparing the ship for the next cruise.

Thanks!

I know Vancouver terminal has a left bag facility. I'm somewhat in the opposite boat from you, a 4-star HAL mariner and just completed my first modern NCL cruise. I know (at least on the Breakaway), checkin started quite early. Have you considered the possibility of getting off the Amsterdam fairly early and either leaving your bags with the NCL porters or the left luggage and having a day in Vancouver. It's a really beautiful city.

Roy

I know Vancouver terminal has a left bag facility. I'm somewhat in the opposite boat from you, a 4-star HAL mariner and just completed my first modern NCL cruise. I know (at least on the Breakaway), checkin started quite early. Have you considered the possibility of getting off the Amsterdam fairly early and either leaving your bags with the NCL porters or the left luggage and having a day in Vancouver. It's a really beautiful city.

Roy

I wasn't aware there's an option to leave my bag somewhere. I'd absolutely get off early in that case! I love Vancouver and haven't been there in several years. I'd have no problem finding something to do. :) I'll have to see what I can find out about that. I don't recall which thread it was on, but I thought I read that you can't drop your bag off until at least 10 or 10:30. I'll have to see if I can find that information and learn more.

Thanks for the tip!

I wasn't aware there's an option to leave my bag somewhere. I'd absolutely get off early in that case! I love Vancouver and haven't been there in several years. I'd have no problem finding something to do. :) I'll have to see what I can find out about that. I don't recall which thread it was on, but I thought I read that you can't drop your bag off until at least 10 or 10:30. I'll have to see if I can find that information and learn more.

Thanks for the tip!

Check out http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/. I used them the last time I disembarked in Vancouver. I'm surprised that they say "closed Tuesday/Thursday" I hope that's not the date you needed. You will need to scroll down their page a bit to get to Canada Place. They also have contact information, and I wouldn't be surprised if they would accept your bags and deliver them to NCL at the appropriate times. When I disembarked I had an overnight at a YVR hotel and they had a package where they took my bags at Canada Place, gave me a pass on the Hop On Hop Off Bus, a transit ticket to the airport and my bags were waiting for me in my hotel room when I checked in.

May or may not work but potentially a great service.

Roy

Check out http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/. I used them the last time I disembarked in Vancouver. I'm surprised that they say "closed Tuesday/Thursday" I hope that's not the date you needed. You will need to scroll down their page a bit to get to Canada Place. They also have contact information, and I wouldn't be surprised if they would accept your bags and deliver them to NCL at the appropriate times. When I disembarked I had an overnight at a YVR hotel and they had a package where they took my bags at Canada Place, gave me a pass on the Hop On Hop Off Bus, a transit ticket to the airport and my bags were waiting for me in my hotel room when I checked in.

May or may not work but potentially a great service.

Roy

Roy, thank you so much! This completely changes what I thought that day would look like! I'll be there on a Sunday and it appears they're open whenever there's a ship in port--there will be three the day I'm there. This will give me the opportunity to treat this like a port of all even though I'm changing ships that day.

Thanks! Great solution!

:D