Awkward Tipper

Juslaugh

That I can agree with. I've watched a waitress spend a minute or two putting together a $3 salad or $5 dessert. I've also seen them take 20 seconds to put the $20 steak order in the computer for the kitchen and a third person brings the food out.

Mostly it comes down to how nice they are...and usually I don't tip less than $2 regardless.

Best waitress I had knew my name, knew what I had to drink, talked to me. Got to know her and went to her wedding. So in the grand scheme of things, with the gift and all, she probably got the biggest tip :)

The servers have to tip out the food runners 20%, the busser and hostess 10-20% each, and the bartender 10-20%. Bottom line, the $5 tip amounts to around $2 to the server when all is said and done.

When I pick up a fill in somm shift I get a salary, keep any cash handed to me, and get a percentage of the bottle sales from each server based on their tips.

I probably do a lot less heavy lifting, but I do a lot of schmoozing and ego stroking to businessmen trying to impress clients with their (dismal) knowledge of the (less than stellar 450% marked up) well known premium wine they ordered. It is my job to keep their glasses full and try to sell them more wine, but at the same time make sure they aren't intoxicated and driving. It's a slippery slope.

I also have to be discreetly sensitive to a young couple celebrating a special event who are obviously on a budget. Knowing the list and being able to suggest the hidden gems and having a happy guest--and not likely one to press a twenty into my palm--is also part of my job. The $1 tip out I might get from the server certainly doesn't cover the 10 minutes I spend trying to make them feel special during the evening.

Working a service floor is not an easy job. I suspect most of the people suggesting servers deserve a few cents and nothing more wouldn't last 10 minutes.

I did answer the question. If I could afford a $1000 cupcake, I would leave a $200 tip--provided I was in a country where that would be appropriate. For example if I were in Japan, I would not leave a tip as their culture frowns in the practice.

Then why are you opposed to tipping on a cruise being tied to cabin fare?

and to attempt to state this as a fact you have what kind of proof. :rolleyes:

Tell me all about the recourse the southeast Asian service staff have on 3rd world registered ships and the strict auditing processes...:rolleyes:

I have already stated why. Cabins are often identical in size and amenities but only more expensive because of their location. Often the price varies by when you book. What you suggest would be like paying more for your steak if you are seated in a quiet booth than seated by the kitchen door, and then tipping on the table location, not the meal itself. People with larger cabins (suites) already pay more in tips.

I wouldn't be opposed to tipping based on square footage, which would be equitable to all, which I have already stated.

Because of all the reasons I previously stated plus the fact that as a solo traveler, my fare is often double. Why should I have to pay for 2 people's tips when there is only one of me? I still think it's a horrible idea and hope it's one they never even consider.

Because of all the reasons I previously stated plus the fact that as a solo traveler, my fare is often double. Why should I have to pay for 2 people's tips when there is only one of me? I still think it's a horrible idea and hope it's one they never even consider.

I think a mandatory, unable to be changed fee is horrible idea and hope it never comes to be, though I know you are strongly in favor. We can have different ides and disagree about them, that's fine.

It is my view point that the fractional increase suites pay still, in the grand scheme of things, let's them get off very cheaply for the products and services they get for occupying a suite compared to the relatively higher percentage someone in an interior pays.

I never said you should have to pay tips for 2 people, by the way. I don't think you should. You should pay the tips for 1 person.

I think a mandatory, unable to be changed fee is horrible idea and hope it never comes to be, though I know you are strongly in favor. We can have different ides and disagree about them, that's fine.

It is my view point that the fractional increase suites pay still, in the grand scheme of things, let's them get off very cheaply for the products and services they get for occupying a suite compared to the relatively higher percentage someone in an interior pays.

I never said you should have to pay tips for 2 people, by the way. I don't think you should. You should pay the tips for 1 person.

But if it's tied to fare, then as a solo paying 200% then I would in fact be charged for 2. The "Suites" on Carnival are almost a joke as far as benefits and amenities go compared to other lines. But we can absolutely agree on one thing and that is that we have different opinions regarding tipping. If everyone felt the same way about everything, this place would be pretty boring ;)

The last time I was in a suite the gratuity was about 150% that of a regular cabin for the steward. DCL breaks it down by job, so x for the steward, x for the waiter, x for the asst waiter, x for the concierge staff. (This might have changed since that cruise, not sure).

At any rate, the steward had about the same amount of cleaning to do, and the extra was in line with that. We even skipped cleaning one day because we are capable of making the bed and don't need ice.

We had the same dining rotation and service as any cabin, so no need for a higher tip for the dining room staff. We also tipped the concierge. In all honesty we had exactly one meal in the MDR, left the suggested amount intact, and also tipped room service and specialty restaurant wait staff and sommeliers. I'm not sure how we should have been expected to pay anything more than what we did for the steward and MDR staff. As soon as we left the cabin, we got the same service that anyone else would.

I would also say that a family of four in an inside cabin is going to be more work than a couple in a suite. The inside cabin beds have to be put up and down each day and the amount of stuff that has to be worked around is a lot more which means it takes a lot longer.

I would like to know what extras you think a steward provides to suites that regular cabins don't get. I have been on four lines and sailed in suites on two of them, balcony on one, and ocean view on one. The cabin service was pretty much the same in all four ships regardless of the type of cabin.

Yes. Try eating at a Michelin 3-Star restaurant instead of Waffle House and you might begin to understand.

Nah...don't like the fancy places. I'll take a hole in the wall greasy spoon anyday...or even waffle house!

Nah...don't like the fancy places. I'll take a hole in the wall greasy spoon anyday...or even waffle house!

Have you ever dined at a Michelin starred restaurant? If not, you can't begin to understand or compare the difference in service.

I did answer the question. If I could afford a $1000 cupcake, I would leave a $200 tip--provided I was in a country where that would be appropriate. For example if I were in Japan, I would not leave a tip as their culture frowns in the practice.

No you didn't. The original question was why does a more expensive meal warrant a higher tip. The amount of money you have has nothing to do with the tip.

No you didn't. The original question was why does a more expensive meal warrant a higher tip. The amount of money you have has nothing to do with the tip.

And I repeat myself. The level of service and service knowledge required to serve a very high end meal is years of experience and education above the level required to sling hash at a diner. It's not just the physical activity, it's also the knowledge of proper service and the understanding of a menu created with items the average hash house server has never even heard of. It is also the knowledge of wine, beer, and cocktail service, appropriate suggestions for each as well as the timing and service of each.

Well this got interesting. Typically when you eat out, you tip a certain percentage of the bill. Some restaurants even put the amount at the bottom like 10% = $$$$, 15% = $$$$, etc. Same as the bar on the ship - 15% of your bill is automatically added as a tip/gratuity. Not sure how the standard came about, but alas, that's what is widely accepted and followed by the masses.

I will say this one more time. Gratuities as far as the ones that are prepaid or added to the S&S account are not real gratuities. They are a Service Charge. It's not based upon cruise fare so I don't know how they can be called anything other than what they really are.

Well this got interesting. Typically when you eat out, you tip a certain percentage of the bill. Some restaurants even put the amount at the bottom like 10% = $$$$, 15% = $$$$, etc. Same as the bar on the ship - 15% of your bill is automatically added as a tip/gratuity. Not sure how the standard came about, but alas, that's what is widely accepted and followed by the masses.

I will say this one more time. Gratuities as far as the ones that are prepaid or added to the S&S account are not real gratuities. They are a Service Charge. It's not based upon cruise fare so I don't know how they can be called anything other than what they really are.

Correct. If based on cost of cruise it would be more like $300 for a 7 day in a balcony.

Correct. If based on cost of cruise it would be more like $300 for a 7 day in a balcony.

They can call it anything they want as long as it doesn't hit $300 a week for my balcony! :cool: It is better than a typical vacation on land where every meal you eat has 15% + attached to it.

They can call it anything they want as long as it doesn't hit $300 a week for my balcony! :cool: It is better than a typical vacation on land where every meal you eat has 15% + attached to it.

I'm with you as far as not making it a percentage of the fare. I'm happy with the way it is now - the flat standard rate per person per day.

And I repeat myself. The level of service and service knowledge required to serve a very high end meal is years of experience and education above the level required to sling hash at a diner. It's not just the physical activity, it's also the knowledge of proper service and the understanding of a menu created with items the average hash house server has never even heard of. It is also the knowledge of wine, beer, and cocktail service, appropriate suggestions for each as well as the timing and service of each.

So you are saying it's the doctor vs the janitor type of thing.

So you are saying it's the doctor vs the janitor type of thing.

Interesting analogy, but about accurate.

Think about it this way. On a cruise ship, dining room service usually starts as a busser or buffet assistant. They work their way up the chain as they learn. They are tested. The lower level people get a smaller piece of the tip pool, the servers in the for a fee alternate restaurants are typically people who have proven themselves in the MDR. Most people seem to leave additional for them, and so they are ostensibly the highest compensated on the ship as far as wait staff.

So you are saying the richer you are, the more you tip?

Not the richer you are, but the more you spend in establishments where a tip is expected. It's pretty simple. But as always, when a tipping thread is started here on Cruise Critic, we make it way more complicated than it has to be. [emoji849]

Not the richer you are, but the more you spend in establishments where a tip is expected. It's pretty simple. But as always, when a tipping thread is started here on Cruise Critic, we make it way more complicated than it has to be. [emoji849]

Well you certainly can't say that it does not draw comments and emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you are saying the richer you are, the more you tip?

No. You must be kidding. If you go to Outback and the bill is $125 and the service was good you pay 20%. If you go to Applebee's and the bill is $45 it's the same. Doctor's or homeless people can eat at either place.

Either you aren't an adult or you don't live in the US. Why do you seem so clueless???

Edited by crusinpsychRN