Double check your CC and personal ins.

I'm thankful for those who have taken the time to share re: trip insurance information here. I haven't purchased any in the past, but decided to this time, just to be covered in case. I've been meaning to purchase some since I booked a week and half ago and have researched and today was about to purchase some insurance when I remembered reading here that some credit cards have travel insurance protection as a benefit.

I checked my card policy online - the CC I booked my cruise with - AA Citicard Platinum (American airlines advantage card) and sure enough it does cover all the main trip cancellation/interruption/delay/baggage/damage/theft/emergencies - all with adequate coverage, pretty standard and very easy to read policy. The only thing it does not cover that most trip policies do is medical.

I checked with my medical insurance and I'm covered outside the U.S. under preferred status the same as if I was here at home. They do cover necessary medical transport to the nearest hospital adequately equipped to provide the necessary medical treatment. It covers as much as several of the trip insurance policies under their fine print.

So, I just wanted to share for those of you who may be purchasing the same thing or similar without knowing you are already covered.

Edited by luvabargain
misspelled word

You are unusually lucky to have a medical policy in place that will cover international travel. Do be aware, however, about the coverage for transport.

You mention it covers transport to 'nearest hospital'. If so, great...but if you need any type of special transport home or need to get home in order to receive further care, your policy may not cover those costs.

You are unusually lucky to have a medical policy in place that will cover international travel. Do be aware, however, about the coverage for transport.

You mention it covers transport to 'nearest hospital'. If so, great...but if you need any type of special transport home or need to get home in order to receive further care, your policy may not cover those costs.

I understand, and it says "nearest adequately equipped", but in the past I never bought insurance and didn't bother looking. Not sure why. As far as transporting home - I can see being transported to the U.S., but not home - we don't have good Drs and hospitals here - most of us go out of town for anything major. I'm really more concerned about getting coverage wherever I may be, God forbid. I really do have good medical insurance and they are easy to work with. I did notice that a lot of the trip insurance policies say the same thing as far as transport - you really have to read the fine print. Anyway, this fits my needs and wants and wanted to share in case others have insurance they are unaware of.

Let me reiterate what msmayor says - what you need to be concerned about is medical evacuation to the US. If you are hospitalized in a foreign country and must return to the US by air ambulance it can cost tens of thousands of dollars, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars depending where you are. We have good medical coverage, too, but if something bad happens we want to come HOME and not have the fees wipe us out financially.

Let me reiterate what msmayor says - what you need to be concerned about is medical evacuation to the US. If you are hospitalized in a foreign country and must return to the US by air ambulance it can cost tens of thousands of dollars, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars depending where you are. We have good medical coverage, too, but if something bad happens we want to come HOME and not have the fees wipe us out financially.

Double this recommendation: At the least, think about what if you are hospitalized in a small local hospital in a foreign country.

Would your insurance cover transfer to a larger, major hospital (and in that country, your country, or some unspecified other "nearby" country)?

Is that what you would want?

The cost of MedJetAssist is, in our opinion, relatively low for what one would get IF needed.

If hospitalized away from home (plan specifies more than 150 miles from home, but our concern is especially with small local hospitals anywhere, and also perhaps some larger foreign hospitals), we do NOT want to be bickering with insurance company beancounters about whether a transfer is "necessary". We also don't want to need to have the local medical team declare themselves unable to care properly for the patient, etc.

With MedJetAssist, what is needed is for a patient to be admitted as an inpatient (NOT just ER or Observation unit) and be medically stable enough to be transported.

They will use whatever is needed, from business class airline, with an RN accompanying, to a full medical air ambulance jet if that's required.

Note that this does NOT cover the cost of getting to that hospital in the first place. The plan only kicks in AFTER one is admitted as an inpatient.

As a side benefit, but not why we purchase MedJetAssist, the at least 150 miles from home means that we are also covered for lesser trips, such as visits to family or business trips, just in case.

For less than 150 miles from home, we'd hope a regular ambulance could be used, and that's not likely to cost in the hundreds of thousands (or close to it). And our regular health insurance might cover such a need anyway.

The other thing I want to add as a benefit of some trip insurance policies is that some also include coverage of the costs incurred by your traveling partner/spouse who remains behind with you. Hotel, meals, transportation home...all can be covered by travel insurance. Your regular medical insurance would not cover those costs for a third party.

To the OP...it may very well be that your method and use of policies works great for your situation. Others, though, need to realize that there are a lot of other outside costs that will not be covered without a separate travel policy.

• 3 weeks later...
Double this recommendation: At the least, think about what if you are hospitalized in a small local hospital in a foreign country.

Would your insurance cover transfer to a larger, major hospital (and in that country, your country, or some unspecified other "nearby" country)?

Is that what you would want?

The cost of MedJetAssist is, in our opinion, relatively low for what one would get IF needed.

If hospitalized away from home (plan specifies more than 150 miles from home, but our concern is especially with small local hospitals anywhere, and also perhaps some larger foreign hospitals), we do NOT want to be bickering with insurance company beancounters about whether a transfer is "necessary". We also don't want to need to have the local medical team declare themselves unable to care properly for the patient, etc.

With MedJetAssist, what is needed is for a patient to be admitted as an inpatient (NOT just ER or Observation unit) and be medically stable enough to be transported.

They will use whatever is needed, from business class airline, with an RN accompanying, to a full medical air ambulance jet if that's required.

Note that this does NOT cover the cost of getting to that hospital in the first place. The plan only kicks in AFTER one is admitted as an inpatient.

As a side benefit, but not why we purchase MedJetAssist, the at least 150 miles from home means that we are also covered for lesser trips, such as visits to family or business trips, just in case.

For less than 150 miles from home, we'd hope a regular ambulance could be used, and that's not likely to cost in the hundreds of thousands (or close to it). And our regular health insurance might cover such a need anyway.

I have great coverage on my chase united CC including $10.000 cancellation per person. it does not, however cover evacuation from a cruise ship or home from a small hospital. Those are my two big issues. My medical is not great and some annual policies are primary medical coverage which is great for me. Lots to consider. I appreciate everyones perspectives.

The most cost effective solution is to buy evacuation insurance. It is bundled with medical but it is usually quite inexpensive.

The real expensive risk is evacuation. About $65,000 in planes and helicopters for me plus a $7000 plane ticket and a nurse accompanying me home.

The most cost effective solution is to buy evacuation insurance. It is bundled with medical but it is usually quite inexpensive.

The real expensive risk is evacuation. About $65,000 in planes and helicopters for me plus a $7000 plane ticket and a nurse accompanying me home.

who did you buy it with?

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently transferred by ambulance from Indianapolis to South Bend! IN. Charge give or take $4500 and this was not an emergency