No interest in mega ships. Am I alone?

jayscore

Wrong again, but you are consistent. I was making my point on mega ships (Oasis/Allure/Harmony in my reference) being like a land trip to Disney (planning appointments for shows dining etc) it was most certainly on topic. Please keep up

I only saw one response that was from someone who tried a Mega ship and respect they didn't like, how can you decide you don't like something without ever trying?

My trip on Allure was one of the best ever, I decided what I wanted to do, made my plans and did it. You don't have to have reservations, but I know when I like to eat so I made them, I knew what shows I wanted to see so made a reservation. I didn't miss the long lines to cram in a small show room. I loved always finding a chair by the pool, the huge adult only area with food service at no charge, the technology that told me what was open for every meal and how busy it was so never waited in line unless I wanted to. Never eating in the same place twice if I choose on a weeks cruise, and most of them free. Great Service in the main dinning room, you feel the waves, you see the sea.

I sail on Vista this fall and hear great things, I sail on the Pride in Feb and will love going back, every ship has great things about it, but try them before you are sure you wont like. They are well run and know how to handle large crowds and move them fast.

As your Mother used to say. TRY IT YOU MAY LIKE IT :)

Edited by Lovtotravel2

I only saw one response that was from someone who tried a Mega ship and respect they didn't like, how can you decide you don't like something without ever trying?

My trip on Allure was one of the best ever, I decided what I wanted to do, made my plans and did it. You don't have to have reservations, but I know when I like to eat so I made them, I knew what shows I wanted to see so made a reservation. I didn't miss the long lines to cram in a small show room. I loved always finding a chair by the pool, the huge adult only area with food service at no charge, the technology that told me what was open for every meal and how busy it was so never waited in line unless I wanted to. Never eating in the same place twice if I choose on a weeks cruise, and most of them free. Great Service in the main dinning room, you feel the waves, you see the sea.

I sail on Vista this fall and hear great things, I sail on the Pride in Feb and will love going back, every ship has great things about it, but try them before you are sure you wont like. They are well run and know how to handle large crowds and move them fast.

I don't think most, if not all, didn't say they didn't like the large ships, without ever trying them. We responded that we had "no interest" in trying them.

My trip on Allure was one of the best ever...

I totally agree. 52 cruises on 5 lines and Oasis and Allure are still the best cruises on which I have been...with regard to the ships. Some people complain about the reservation process but if you do it right and just go with it, it's what makes the ship so awesome and keeps crowds separated.

To each their own, we sailed Oasis, I did a review of anyone cares. Point is, I tried it and the ship was spectacular, as a cruise not even in the best 10.

Wrong again, but you are consistent. I was making my point on mega ships (Oasis/Allure/Harmony in my reference) being like a land trip to Disney (planning appointments for shows dining etc) it was most certainly on topic. Please keep up

Have you ever sailed an Oasis class ship without making any reservations?

Things may have changed since you sailed Oasis. Change is the one thing that seems to stay the same with all cruise lines.

Things can always change, but all I can base it on is my experience. It was not bad by any measure, just did not hit what we think of as the sweet spot for cruising. Obviously many love it.

Edited by jimbo5544

No but others in our group did. Why do you ask?

I ask because I've noticed in the past that you ask posters if they have sailed Carnival or this ship or that ship. Questioning their posts. I'm questioning yours.

You give people a lot of good information about Carnival, but seem to have a something against Royal. I base this on the fact that you repeatedly tell people that they MUST make reservations for shows on some Royal ships. This is simply not true. While it is possible to reserve seats for shows you don't have to. If you show up ten minutes before show time the stand by line will be just about finish entering the show. You walk to the end of the line and proceed into the show. Only once did this not work for me on the first of the three show times for the ice show. So I went to plan 2 which was the comedy club. It is right across the hall from the ice show enterance. I saw the ice show at the second showing.

I didn't waste time standing in line. I didn't even waste time sitting in the theaters waiting 30 minutes for the show to start. I sat in a lounge relaxing with a beverage. I also was able to sit with my wife at each show.

Before you tell me that wasn't the experience of the people in your group, every theater or show room on every cruise ship in every cruise line has a max capacity. Some times people don't make into shows on every cruise line. It happens. But making it sound like its a huge hassle or takes months of planning is bull.

I'm on Magic later this year and it will decide if I sail another large ship. I'm already dreading the 4600 passengers on such a small ship. I've fallen in love with Holland America's Vista Class Mid-Sized ships with a reasonable number of passengers, no water parks etc. I just need the ocean, a breeze and amazing views when coming into ports.

Fascination is 70,367 GT with a max of 2634 PAX or 26.71 GT per PAX

Magic is 128,048 GT with a max of 4675 PAX or 27.4 GT per PAX

Westerdam is 81,811 GT with a Max of 1848 PAX or 44.27 GT per PAX

Fewer lines, always seats available in theaters, shorter tendering times etc. and Carnivals Steakhouse cant hold a candle to the Pinnacle Grill, I don't want to compare HALs MDR selections to The American Table, it would be an insult to HAL and unfair to The American Table.

I'm on Magic this year because I planned with a relative who wanted the Western Caribbean ports that Magic is visiting this year.

Interesting logic...not sure I agree...but interesting. So 6000 pax and 2300..won't be able to get off a mega-ship like Oasis....but....4000 pax and 1500 crew will be able to get off a smaller "mega-ship" like Vista, should god forbid anything like you are suggesting was to happen?

Exactly, Bar. The larger ships with better systems and methods can probably evacuate the passengers safer and faster than some of the smaller ones.

I don't think most, if not all, didn't say they didn't like the large ships, without ever trying them. We responded that we had "no interest" in trying them.

If you do like the mega-ships, sail them now because mark my words, one day one of these behemoths is going to sink and I do not care how many lifeboats you have on board, you cannot get 6,000 guests and 2,300 crew off a boat quickly. The day of the mega-ship will then be over.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Fascination is 70,367 GT with a max of 2634 PAX or 26.71 GT per PAX

Magic is 128,048 GT with a max of 4675 PAX or 27.4 GT per PAX

Westerdam is 81,811 GT with a Max of 1848 PAX or 44.27 GT per PAX

I've never heard of a ship being in the 20s, and that number for Westerdam seemed awfully high. I looked and the numbers I found are:

Magic = 30.2

Fascination = 34.2

Westerdam = 36

Either way, the CCL ships you mentioned do still have very low numbers, especially Magic. CCL ships are the most crowded in the mass market industry.

Edit...I take back what I said. I looked up Sunshine and found a ratio between 27 and 29.9, depending on the site. That's ridiculous.

Edited by Aquahound

If you do like the mega-ships, sail them now because mark my words, one day one of these behemoths is going to sink and I do not care how many lifeboats you have on board, you cannot get 6,000 guests and 2,300 crew off a boat quickly. The day of the mega-ship will then be over.

we were docked by one of the royal Caribbean mega-ships and it was scary to me.

I thought about what would happen in an emergency too.

besides, they were showing a video of a sunset on their giant tv.

a real sunset suits me just fine.

I ask because I've noticed in the past that you ask posters if they have sailed Carnival or this ship or that ship. Questioning their posts. I'm questioning yours.

You give people a lot of good information about Carnival, but seem to have a something against Royal. I base this on the fact that you repeatedly tell people that they MUST make reservations for shows on some Royal ships. This is simply not true. While it is possible to reserve seats for shows you don't have to. If you show up ten minutes before show time the stand by line will be just about finish entering the show. You walk to the end of the line and proceed into the show. Only once did this not work for me on the first of the three show times for the ice show. So I went to plan 2 which was the comedy club. It is right across the hall from the ice show enterance. I saw the ice show at the second showing.

I didn't waste time standing in line. I didn't even waste time sitting in the theaters waiting 30 minutes for the show to start. I sat in a lounge relaxing with a beverage. I also was able to sit with my wife at each show.

Before you tell me that wasn't the experience of the people in your group, every theater or show room on every cruise ship in every cruise line has a max capacity. Some times people don't make into shows on every cruise line. It happens. But making it sound like its a huge hassle or takes months of planning is bull.

While it certainly was not a huge hassle, there was a wait. Maybe that is no longer the case. I think the real point is that for a lot of people who don't cruise a lot and want to make the best out of their vacation they will do the reservations. I don't think I said you must, but it was the recommendation (from a Royal BDM by the way).

As I said, the ship was spectacular, really a marvel. As far as ranking it in our cruise experiences (especially in reference to the cost), not one of our favorites. As we exited the cruise terminal at the end of the cruise , the Carnival Freedom was next door. We both said, we are coming back....

There are times when I post comments of our Oasis experience and some here who literally cannot believe that we don't think it is the best thing since sliced bread. For us, it just was not. Read my review and see if you think it was totally biased.

You mention you think I give good info on Carnival (thanks for that I really do try) but seem to have a thing against Royal. After some reflection, I think my response to that is I do get drawn into the the Carnival Royal thing that is so prevalent here. It makes people defensive and the end result are posts from both sides of a discussion the knock the other side. We have been on two RCCL cruises and enjoyed both, we just enjoy the Carnival experience more and think it is a better value.

Edited by jimbo5544

I've never heard of a ship being in the 20s, and that number for Westerdam seemed awfully high. I looked and the numbers I found are:

Magic = 30.2

Fascination = 34.2

Westerdam = 36

Either way, the CCL ships you mentioned do still have very low numbers, especially Magic. CCL ships are the most crowded in the mass market industry.

Edit...I take back what I said. I looked up Sunshine and found a ratio between 27 and 29.9, depending on the site. That's ridiculous.

I didn't realize that there were sites that listed this ratio. I took the GRT and Max Capacities from each ships Wikipedia Page and divided.

Good to know someone's already done this somewhere, Wikipedia can be a bit of on info. Though the Westerdam info matches what on the mug I bought onboard last fall.

I agree about Sunshine, everyone I know who cruised her as Destiny has said that she was ruined in 2013.

EDIT: Ah, I just looked up how these ratios are calculated. They use the number of passenger berths (permanent beds) instead of full passenger capacity, Pull down beds and sofa beds are not included. So my number may be closer to correct than those listed on your websites.

This apparently makes the ratio on Disney look good, until you realize that on that line in particular, most cabins have at least 3-4 people due to the number of families traveling in the same cabin, only two of which would be counted in the passenger to space ratio.

Edited by mike_ga
New information.

I didn't realize that there were sites that listed this ratio. I took the GRT and Max Capacities from each ships Wikipedia Page and divided.

Good to know someone's already done this somewhere, Wikipedia can be a bit of on info. Though the Westerdam info matches what on the mug I bought onboard last fall.

I agree about Sunshine, everyone I know who cruised her as Destiny has said that she was ruined in 2013.

Ah, I just looked up how these ratios are calculated. They use the number of passenger berths (permanent beds) instead of full passenger capacity, Pull down beds and sofa beds are not included. So my number may be closer to correct than those listed on your websites.

This apparently makes the ratio on Disney look good, until you realize that on that line in particular, most cabins have at least 3-4 people due to the number of families traveling in the same cabin, only two of which would be counted in the passenger to space ratio.

Yeah, they should sink her..... really?

Have you been on either the Destiny or the Sunshine?

Edited by jimbo5544

We've sailed small and large. It all comes down to price, availability, what we're in the mood for.....There are pro and cons of all ships, wouldn't you say? We always come home feeling satisfied and reflect on the good and maybe the not so good. We remind ourselves of our good fortune to be able to vacation and are grateful to be able to get away from our busy lives. Whether you prefer big or small is your opinion which should be respected, correct? Different ships, different cruise lines, different itineraries,......do your research, make an informed decision, and most of all enjoy your vacation. Switch is up, keep it fresh and new (and sometimes stick with the old), variety is the spice of life. :)

We've sailed small and large. It all comes down to price, availability, what we're in the mood for.....There are pro and cons of all ships, wouldn't you say? We always come home feeling satisfied and reflect on the good and maybe the not so good. We remind ourselves of our good fortune to be able to vacation and are grateful to be able to get away from our busy lives. Whether you prefer big or small is your opinion which should be respected, correct? Different ships, different cruise lines, different itineraries,......do your research, make an informed decision, and most of all enjoy your vacation. Switch is up, keep it fresh and new (and sometimes stick with the old), variety is the spice of life. :)

Excellent perspective - especially for those who won't try a different line or ship because for them it comes down to money and value. Now that Carnival has boosted its pricing, some may become more open to trying new experiences.

I sailed Carnival almost exclusively for years, and I didn't know what I was missing until I tried other cruise lines and ship types. Enjoy!

I love this! You are very wise :)

You are very wise. I love this :)

Very good point about the book vs phone. I keep mine with me even on board for three reasons even though I have no service

1) as a watch

2) as a music player

3) as a camera, because you just never know when!

Funny point about the book vs phone... I read books on my phone :)

I like the mega ships, but I absolutely love the smaller Fantasy class ships. They give you all the basics of the larger ships, but with far less hassle and crowds. I wish they still did more 7 day cruises on Fantasy ships out of Galveston and NOLA.