Time to say goodbye to Piraeus please!

dopeyngrumpy

We overnighted in Athens in April this year on the Constellation. It was part of the quid pro quo for Istanbul being cancelled. We did the sights during the day and the overnight allowed us to have a meal in the Plaka which turned out to be one of the highlights of the cruise. I accept that the Port has little to offer but for a first timer to Athens and probably my last visit I was glad of the extra time

We'd been to Athens a couple of times prior, so, on our last visit, we hired a taxi tour to take us to the Peloponnese... To Mycenae, Epidaurus, Nafplion, Corinth, etc. A lot of fascinating sites...

Nothing says you have to stay IN Athens...

We also have the overnight in Athens in a couple of weeks. This will be our fourth time there and we already hired a private tour to Mycenae and Corinth. The second day we will go back to the Acropolis with friends in the morning. We went to the Acropolis Museum two years ago and it was fantastic.

We are sometimes puzzled as what fellow cruisers want or expect when doing overnights in any port. For us, it is simply an opportunity to partake in some of the local nightlife and enjoy a nice dinner in a local restaurant. And Athens (and other places closer to Pireaus) have plenty of both. In our cruising life (which spans more than forty years) we have had numerous overnights (many of them on longer HAL cruises) and most passengers either stay onboard or take a cruise line excursion (which often involve touristy restaurants with shows aimed at cruisers). We have never understood that attitude since most cruisers tell you they cruise to see new places and experience new things.

Athens is like any large city....in that it has some good neighborhoods and some that are not so good. Ironically, one of the nicest areas to go at night (for dinner, a drink, and socializing) is only a few minutes from the Port of Pireaus. The region has many nightclubs, jazz clubs, restaurants (some right on the water with fabulous views, etc. While cruise lines can lead its passengers to interesting and new places, it is the cruiser that must take some personal responsibility to learn about a place and where to go! If one chooses to be "hogtied" by "excursions" or HoHo buses, then understand you are simply shrinking your options in a major way.

Hank

I understand everyone has their own opinions. But wow...we couldn't disagree more. When we were booking our Greek islands 30th anniversary trip, I read so many negative things about Athens...even heard it described as the Detroit of the Mediterranean, but wow, we had an absolute great time. So much, we would like to stay there for a few days next time we cruise that region or as part of a land trip. So much to do in and outside of Athens. We were only there for a day and had a private tour...just the two of us and a driver, and we were very sad to leave. We truly enjoyed it.

I think one of the shortcomings of a cruise is that there are very few overnights or late sailings. Maybe Athens is not the best stop to overnight, but it gives you a real chance to immerse yourself in the culture. If you think going to the Acropolis and Parthenon is seeing Greece you are missing out. We took a trip out to Cape Sounion. Had a meal overlooking the Temple of Poseidon.

This post reminds me of something I overheard when we were in Venice...."it's so old". Ah yeah. That's why you are here.

This is one of the places we wanted to visit but had to put aside due to our limited time. Definitely on the list for next time.

I agree, one of the biggest drawbacks of a cruise is the lack of overnights. This year and next year's cruise, we are focusing on cruises with as many overnights as possible. It's a great blend of land and sea.

The last time we overnighted in Lisbon (on a HAL cruise), DW and I were heading off the ship about 8:30 to go to our favorite Fado Club for dinner and the show. We ran into some onboard friends who asked "where are you going?" We explained we had a 9pm reservation at Senor Vinho and these folks were shocked. They asked why we would bother eating off the ship...and how could we stay out so late (past midnight). We have run into this same attitude in Pireaus, Istanbul, Kusadasi, and several other ports where we have done overnights. On our recent overnight in Venice (this past April on the Prinsendam) we noticed very few passengers getting off the ship...as we left around 6. When we returned to the ship around 11, we were the only souls (other then Security) in the port (where there were 2 cruise ships) returning from town. On the People Mover, returning to the Port, we were the only passengers getting off at the port (a few others were heading over to Tronchetto Island to get their cars. We do often hear cruisers asking for more overnights....but it appears that when they have them....they simply stay aboard.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The last time we overnighted in Lisbon (on a HAL cruise), DW and I were heading off the ship about 8:30 to go to our favorite Fado Club for dinner and the show. We ran into some onboard friends who asked "where are you going?" We explained we had a 9pm reservation at Senor Vinho and these folks were shocked. They asked why we would bother eating off the ship...and how could we stay out so late (past midnight). We have run into this same attitude in Pireaus, Istanbul, Kusadasi, and several other ports where we have done overnights. On our recent overnight in Venice (this past April on the Prinsendam) we noticed very few passengers getting off the ship...as we left around 6. When we returned to the ship around 11, we were the only souls (other then Security) in the port (where there were 2 cruise ships) returning from town. On the People Mover, returning to the Port, we were the only passengers getting off at the port (a few others were heading over to Tronchetto Island to get their cars. We do often hear cruisers asking for more overnights....but it appears that when they have them....they simply stay aboard.

Hank

Hank,

Great point. We just came back from Portugal and loved the Fado dinner evening we had in Lisbon.

You are right to make the most of your cruise.