Are many men still wearing tuxedoes on gala nights?

luxurysailer

I think one of the differences between HAL and Cunard is that HAL is most definitely a mass market cruise line. Lots of ships, prices from $299 to $15K plus for a seven day cruise. HAL needs volume sales to fill their cabins day in, day out. In some instances their offerings, like others in the market, are essentially commodity products notwithstanding the efforts to differentiate.

Cunard is a very different animal with I suspect a very different financial model and target market. I have no doubt that like HAL, it is a great cruise line, but it is not one that we would consider.

Last night on the Prinsendam in Norway there were about 20 men in tuxedos

And their ladies? Was there an occasion for these 'dressed up' folks? I imagine they all appeared teriffic.

What's Prinsendam like as it compares with your other cruises?

Edited by 2old4this

DH bought a tux when we started cruising just for Formal Night aka Gala Night. He always wears it, unless we are doing a lot of sightseeing before or after the cruise. Then he doesn't like to bring the garment bag to haul around. I like it when he wears it. He looks nice and it is nice for us both to get really dressed up and enjoy the evening.

I sail tomorrow. I just picked up my 2nd formal shirt from the dry cleaners. I'll wear my tux on both "Gala" nights (truth be told - I didn't know they were no longer called "Formal"). Part of taking a cruise is to get out of the box. I wear jeans and t-shirts all the time a cruise gives me an excuse to dress up for my DW.

I thought of starting a new thread to ask this, but I'll just ask here and see if anybody has input.

Our next cruise is a South America one. Different regions seem to have different levels of formality. For those who have "done" South America, did you find it to be a casual cruise or a more dressy one?

Our next cruise is a South America one. Different regions seem to have different levels of formality. For those who have "done" South America, did you find it to be a casual cruise or a more dressy one?

The three times I've done a South America cruise, the level of dress seemed to be about what it is in other areas of the world. Not over the top dressy, certainly spiffed up over daytime wear on casual nights and more so on formal nights, with a few people who (shall we say) "stand out".

The three times I've done a South America cruise, the level of dress seemed to be about what it is in other areas of the world. Not over the top dressy, certainly spiffed up over daytime wear on casual nights and more so on formal nights, with a few people who (shall we say) "stand out".

Thanks, RuthC. This will be a new region for us, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

We've been away from HAL and Cruise Critic for a while, but coming back home to both. We'll be on the Koningsdam cruise from Amsterdam to Rome in September, and I'm wondering how men are dressing on gala nights. Are tuxedos still commonly worn, or if I bring my tux will I be overdressed and stick out like a sore thumb?

I still like to have a TUX, I think it makes it a special time. Bill