Lecturers on South American Cruises?

capriccio

We are cruising B2B LA to Valparaiso followed by Valparaiso to Rio on the Crown Princess next December and are wondering about the availability of port and cruise related topics (not shopping!) lecturers. We know that a great lecturer (John Lawrence on our Baltics cruise in 2009, Barbara the naturalist on our Alaska cruise in 2007) can add immeasurably to the experience while a poor lecturer (too many to mention and whose names I've blocked from my memory) only succeeds in making us angry and disappointed about the wasted opportunity.

I'd love to hear recent experiences from this past cruising season (or others). Thanks!

Edited by capriccio

We had a great port lecturer in 2010, Joe May, but I heard he passed away a year or more ago. I hope the have found a good replacement. BTW, we also had John Lawrence for our Baltic cruise in 2013.

Edited by IECalCruiser

We had a great port lecturer when we went to Europe and South America. His name was Julio. I don't remember his last name. I hope we have him again as we are doing South America 60 days in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Star Princess it was a gentleman Julio Delgado in the Princess Theatre every morning at 10:30. I am sure that they were wonderful. As I reviewed all of my PP I realized all that I had missed on the cruise and now wonder; where was I and what was I doing that I missed. Oh yes, I did acupuncture with Martina which was great and had some wonderful massages and shopped and did absolutely else but relax. The off shore excursions were great and it was too bad that we could not do them all. It is a wonderful cruise.

We are cruising B2B LA to Valparaiso followed by Valparaiso to Rio on the Crown Princess next December and are wondering about the availability of port and cruise related topics (not shopping!) lecturers. We know that a great lecturer (John Lawrence on our Baltics cruise in 2009, Barbara the naturalist on our Alaska cruise in 2007) can add immeasurably to the experience while a poor lecturer (too many to mention and whose names I've blocked from my memory) only succeeds in making us angry and disappointed about the wasted opportunity.

I'd love to hear recent experiences from this past cruising season (or others). Thanks!

Capriccio,

A couple years back we did this cruise on the Star in the reverse direction. While I don't recall the name of the lecturer, I do remember him to be very eloquent. This cruise was one of our favorites, with a gaggle of Aussies that made it memorable.

On a similar note, we were a bit disappointed this February on a 10 day Mexico cruise that had not one lecture, outside of the port shopping commercials, for the entire cruise. They also seemed to have lost the string quartet for this cruise as well.

Enjoy the cruise, I am confident that you will have a great lecturer.

Regards,

Tom

• 4 months later...
Capriccio,

A couple years back we did this cruise on the Star in the reverse direction. While I don't recall the name of the lecturer, I do remember him to be very eloquent. This cruise was one of our favorites, with a gaggle of Aussies that made it memorable.

On a similar note, we were a bit disappointed this February on a 10 day Mexico cruise that had not one lecture, outside of the port shopping commercials, for the entire cruise. They also seemed to have lost the string quartet for this cruise as well.

Enjoy the cruise, I am confident that you will have a great lecturer.

Regards,

Tom

We also were on the reverse itinerary in 2012 on the Star Princess from Rio to San Francisco. The lecturer was named Kennedy and he was the former director of the Kennedy Space Center. His lecture series was fabulous. He took us into the lives of several astronauts.

I understand that our lecturer this cruise will be 'Moche1' post #133 about the geography and archaeology of South America. :)

Yes. Unfortunately, Joe May passed away. He was a fabulous port lecturer and did the South American cruises. I'm sure Princess will have a port lecturer.

We were on the reverse itinerary in 2012 on the Star Princess from Rio to San Francisco. The lecturer was named Kennedy and he was the former director of the Kennedy Space Center (this also helped me to remember his name) His lecture series was fabulous. He took us into the lives of several astronauts.

I understand that our lecturer this cruise will be 'Moche1' post #133 about the geography and archaeology of South America. :) Enjoy your next cruise!

If Moche1 is the lecturer on your cruise, you will be in good hands. He is an archeologist from Central California, that has done substantial field work in South America, including Peru. He was the lecturer on the cruise from BA to LA last march. Excellent presenter with lots of information.

If Moche1 is the lecturer on your cruise, you will be in good hands. He is an archeologist from Central California, that has done substantial field work in South America, including Peru. He was the lecturer on the cruise from BA to LA last march. Excellent presenter with lots of information.

He will be our lecturer - he very kindly introduced himself on our roll calls after I posted the original message in June. That, along with your enthusiastic recommendation, has me looking forward to his lectures.

We were on Star from LA to Rio last December. Port lectures always packed. And we are art/history/geography nuts so we never miss them. I keep all my Patters and pulled them out. Our lecturers were , Dr. James Kus who was encyclopedic and entertaining about history and archaeology and Shelley Bonus, a wacky, brilliant astronomer. Princess' Scholarship at Sea programs rarely disappoint. Chris Beckett did basic port lectures--he always gave us the skinny on exchange rates, highlights, public transportation, etc. . I liked him as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD