Norwegian Dawn Upscale Mexican Restaurant

macanudo23

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Dawn-getting-upscale-Mexican-restaurant (ok it let edit after posting)

Wonder if this will be a new specialty restaurant.....It would be nice to have an upscale Mexican restaurant on the ships fleet wide I think! What do you guys think?

Edited by macanudo23
link wouldnt post

Norwegian Cruise Line said a new upscale Mexican restaurant will be introduced to the fleet on Norwegian Dawn, a ship currently undergoing renovations. The restaurant will be called Los Lobos Cantina. Norwegian didn't offer many details on the concept, but said menu items will be priced a la carte. It is expected to have fewer than 50 seats.

The move follows Royal Caribbean International's introduction of Sabor Modern Mexican, which is on at least four Royal Caribbean ships..

Wonder if this will be a new specialty restaurant.....It would be nice to have an upscale Mexican restaurant on the ships fleet wide I think! What do you guys think?

At least put in the source if you're going to plagiarize.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Dawn-getting-upscale-Mexican-restaurant

I just googled this, and realized you didn't write that post. It's someone else's words cut n' pasted. Weird.

Bahaha yes for some reason it would not let me post the link it kept giving me an error!! so I copied and pasted the little article

They used to have a Mexican specialty restaurant a few years ago, for example Paniolo on the Jade. I thought it was good, but I assume it didn't attract enough paying passengers to keep it (it was replaced by Moderno). I guess the pendulum is swinging back and Mexican is trendy again… And I'm guessing it will not be your run-of-the-mill tacos and burritos. But at the same time "Cantina" does not sound particularly upscale to me.

They used to have a Mexican specialty restaurant a few years ago, for example Paniolo on the Jade. I thought it was good, but I assume it didn't attract enough paying passengers to keep it (it was replaced by Moderno). I guess the pendulum is swinging back and Mexican is trendy again… And I'm guessing it will not be your run-of-the-mill tacos and burritos. But at the same time "Cantina" does not sound particularly upscale to me.

Im wondering if it will be similar to Food Republic. Mexican Food with a modern twist or something.

Coming around in full circle & re-introducing a Mexican dining option on the Dawn again, the smaller Crown/Majesty ships used to have it 15 years ago and the Dawn sailed into NY during its inaugural years with one ... still on the Star when we did Mexico & Alaska in 2008. Never quite catch on with most pax - did as well as La Cucina, even with early bird & discounted 2 for 1 pricing.

Didn't read the linked article, where are they going to put it - take out space from O'Sheehan's (Blue Lagoon used to be on deck 7 AFT before moving up to deck 8) - or, shrink other specialty dining space ... put a partition upstairs in the buffet area ?

Wait-n-see, I guess ... not of interest to us and shorter waiting time for the rest.

The Tex-Mex from years ago was very good. They even had an early bird half price special for awhile. Very well worth it then. Replaced by Moderno's , we like the Tex-Mex better

Safe sailing

LOL Yes I remember that. They had great Tortilla Soup, Sangria, Guacamole and Chips. The entrees were good not just tacos.

And Il Popo, the crazy entrée with the ridiculous name! Chunks of grilled meat hanging from spikes on a sizzling iron torture device and dripping hot spicy grease into the rice and beans below… Can't see them bringing that back, sadly :(

And Il Popo, the crazy entrée with the ridiculous name! Chunks of grilled meat hanging from spikes on a sizzling iron torture device and dripping hot spicy grease into the rice and beans below… Can't see them bringing that back, sadly :(

HAHA I remember that!

Maybe something like:

http://www.doscaminos.com/menus-and-food/

Would be great.

The restaurant had the most fantastic lobster tacos!! We used to enjoy dinner and listening to the mariachi band that was playing in the atrium one deck below....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was born in Texas and have higher standards for Tex-Mex food. We tried Mexican food on one of the NCL ships and it didn't remind me of Texas. It was OK, but not worth the uncharge.

Ditto we have spent many years going to Mexico and staying 2to3 months so we know authentic Mexican food and its more than tacos, burritos and re-fried beans.

We liked the Mexican restaurants on NCL and DS and I always got the II Popo. We tried Moderno once and don't go anymore. I do understand the switch as they were never too full on our sailings and Moderno type was the current thing.

I like the nights when they have a specialty night in the buffet like Mexican or Chinese.

Ditto we have spent many years going to Mexico and staying 2to3 months so we know authentic Mexican food and its more than tacos, burritos and re-fried beans.

True, Mexican food (not Tex-Mex) is more like a blend or Spanish food and what I call TexMex.

The main difference between Mexican restaurants outside the Southwestern US and those in the SW is that the food is spicer.

We have some Mexican restaurants were we live and they aren't bad, but they tone down the spicy nature that you would find in Texas. I think they do that to accommodate what people want.

Another changes is enchiladas once contained onions. Now onions are generally not included in enchiladas except for the cheese enchiladas. This is true in Texas and outside of Texas.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a picture of the new menu for Los Lobos on the Dawn? Maybe someone who has sailed since the refurbishment?

There are pics online of the restaurant. But it hasn't opened yet. Won't be opening till July 1st.

Im wondering if it will be similar to Food Republic. Mexican Food with a modern twist or something.

Does anyone have a picture of the new menu for Los Lobos on the Dawn? Maybe someone who has sailed since the refurbishment?

Info on the NCL website describes it as a new upscale Mexican restaurant called Los Lobos. The post dry dock cruise is underway now, but the restaurant does not open until July 1. Guacamole prepared table side, al pastor tacos, hand crafted margaritas are a few things mentioned. It will be a la carte.

I wonder if the SDP terms have been updated yet to indicate whether it will be included, like Margaritaville, or excluded and strictly a la carte as is Food Republic. Like Food Republic is my guess.